Localization and orientation tools?

Hey all,

I am not sure that this was already discussed (and sorry if missed it) but I was wondering if there will be tools to locate our ships that we hide in space. If I have understood correctly, the only safe way to protect our ship is to despawn it in a safe zone. If we don't, the ship will stay "forever" in the space until someone find it. Now, let's say that I hide an industrial ship in the middle of an asteroid belt to process minerals and that I want to carry the processed material with a smaller and faster ship in the direction of a big station: how do I find my way back to my little base in the middle of nowhere? Is there some indicators that I can switch on or off in the HUD to know the different directions of my assets in space?

CalenLoki

Master endo
Yolol.
Transmitter on your small ship need to send password into void.
Then yolol on the big ship checks if password is correct. If yes, it sends possition.
Of course someone could listen and log both of these calls. But you can try to encrypt them.

Hum. So there will be coordinates? Because I understood there was no map. However if there are coordinates my issue is solved: I just have to record the coordinates where I let my hidden ship and then I can come back when I want.

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Hum. So there will be coordinates? Because I understood there was no map. However if there are coordinates my issue is solved: I just have to record the coordinates where I let my hidden ship and then I can come back when I want.
why hide your ship when you can just log it out safely at one of the stations?

Morrgard

Master endo
it may be too far off for what your plan is. For instance, if you are a long way from the nearest safe station and your vessel is relatively safe where it is, and you want it to continue processing materials and such during the night then you can just leave it.

NoName

it may be too far off for what your plan is. For instance, if you are a long way from the nearest safe station and your vessel is relatively safe where it is, and you want it to continue processing materials and such during the night then you can just leave it.
never thought of it that way but then he wouldn't need to find his hidden ship though would he? Also doesn't machinery and such stop working when there is no one nearby since the YOLOL code relies on Peer to Peer? But in any case I do agree that coordinates or something of that sort would be nice. I was just pointing out that there are safe zones in the game so he wouldn't need to hide ships.

Do coordinates make sense in space? I know someone has a project to create a (0, 0, 0) point (via some radio device I guess) in the starting station

NoName

Do coordinates make sense in space? I know someone has a project to create a (0, 0, 0) point (via some radio device I guess) in the starting station
Yeah coordinates make sense in space. Just need a (0,0,0) point and "correct" orientation, which I'd assume would be made with the point.

Well there are several reasons. In this type of game I really like to explore the space, to find an interesting spot with rare ores and then start my business by gathering resource that I will sell to a station. For this purpose I will likely need a big industrial ship, which is slow and not well equipped for fighting.
Let's say that I have 1 hour per day to play and that my destination is something like 15 min away, this means that I will spend 30 min of my 60 min every time just traveling. Also, If someone follow me, and has bad intentions, this may be risky to leave daily a crowded station with an industrial ship.

With coordinates or other orientation device: I may find an isolated good spot even 40 min away from the station and hide my industrial ship there. Then during a week I can log in and out to gather and process mineral (so no time lost by traveling), load all my expensive processed minerals into a solid and fast military ship and travel in a shorter time to a station.

Without orientation tools this would be unfortunately difficult...

I assume that coordinates would not be that difficult to implement. Devs have to define a (0,0,0) somewhere and a length for the unit of distance.

NoName

Well there are several reasons. In this type of game I really like to explore the space, to find an interesting spot with rare ores and then start my business by gathering resource that I will sell to a station. For this purpose I will likely need a big industrial ship, which is slow and not well equipped for fighting.
Let's say that I have 1 hour per day to play and that my destination is something like 15 min away, this means that I will spend 30 min of my 60 min every time just traveling. Also, If someone follow me, and has bad intentions, this may be risky to leave daily a crowded station with an industrial ship.

With coordinates or other orientation device: I may find an isolated good spot even 40 min away from the station and hide my industrial ship there. Then during a week I can log in and out to gather and process mineral (so no time lost by traveling), load all my expensive processed minerals into a solid and fast military ship and travel in a shorter time to a station.

Without orientation tools this would be unfortunately difficult...

I assume that coordinates would not be that difficult to implement. Devs have to define a (0,0,0) somewhere and a length for the unit of distance.
Very true I never though that you might be planning to use a carrier sort of ship to carry a faster ship to go back and forth from the station! Smart idea and in that case coordinates would be very needed. I do just want to say I always agreed with the concept I was just trying to see if it was a problem you might have been able to solve another way.

Very true I never though that you might be planning to use a carrier sort of ship to carry a faster ship to go back and forth from the station! Smart idea and in that case coordinates would be very needed. I do just want to say I always agreed with the concept I was just trying to see if it was a problem you might have been able to solve another way.
Thank you :) Yes no worries, I understood well that you were willing to show alternatives to my orientation issue. And I think that at the start of the game there will be enough to be done around stations thus we do not need to hide ourselves in the lost area of the space.