Magnetic-Locking Rollerblades

Azelous

Veteran endo
@TGess had an excellent idea on r/Starbase that we should have rollerblades. This is an amazing idea.

With magnetic boots, it is literally impossible to run in a zero-g environment. The act of running requires there be no feet on the ground between strides. This is problematic when in a zero-g environment. By attempting to run with mag-boots in a zero-g environment, you will effectively push forward and away from the ground surface. Gravity will not return you to the ground, as there is none. I've not seen (or remember) videos of characters running with mag boots, so therefore I will proceed under the assumption that it is impossible.

This brings a slight issue to the game: walking speed is the only bipedal speed. It does allow ships and flying to be a faster and more direct movement, but combat will be rather slow on the ground or floaty when using the jetpack.

Now mag-blades: these actually hold up to physics. At all times there will be at least one mag-blade touching the ground at a time. Assuming mag-boots are a thing, I don’t see why these couldn’t. Unlike jetpacks, mag-blades would would experience friction which reduces the time to turn, the size of the curve, and preserves momentum through a turn thereby increasing the speed at which one can go through and come out of a turn.

As far as controls, I would see them very similar to controlling a car. You would control the direction with left and right, forward and back would control speed in relation to the direction of movement. Controls for aiming would be independent through another joystick or mouse aiming. This would create a combat form that is incredibly difficult but rewarding by means of speed and evasion if mastered.

Ultimately station and large ship warfare would evolve from being fights between slow walking players interrupted by the occasional player-on-speeder (as seen in the recent trailer) to fast paced combat that rewards those who put time into learning to move and shoot.

TGess

Well-known endo
Did not think about combat really. I just found some station too big to be walked trought. But I was really more imagining just WSAD movement same as running just with gliding animation. But whatever works I quess. And you need both hand to move reliably so that would make them unsuitable for combat. But its up to disscusion.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Magnets work from certain distance, so it's totally possible to run with them in 0g.

And endos have more of grav-boots, if you look at the way they behave on slopes and realignment "the bottom" at will.

Rollerblades would look silly IMO

No difference for gameplay though.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Magnets work from certain distance, so it's totally possible to run with them in 0g.

And endos have more of grav-boots, if you look at the way they behave on slopes and realignment "the bottom" at will.

Rollerblades would look silly IMO

No difference for gameplay though.
Magnets work from a distance, but the force of attraction decreases exponentially as they leave the surface of attraction. This is before even considering the rotational forces involved in a stride when attempting to run with mag-boots in a zero-g environment.

Would guide-ropes work? being able to "pull" yourself faster than running, but still being able to at any time, activate your boots.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
Who cares if its realistic or not. Call it a personal gravity generator and nothing about the game changes. This is not a simulator. Its a simplified engineering sandbox where robots have sit animations and mine asteroids with hand axes lol.

We know people can run with boots on because we've seen it. The video game is not obliged to exactly replicate the laws of physics, and it doesn't try to.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Who cares if its realistic or not. Call it a personal gravity generator and nothing about the game changes. This is not a simulator. Its a simplified engineering sandbox where robots have sit animations and mine asteroids with hand axes lol.

We know people can run with boots on because we've seen it. The video game is not obliged to exactly replicate the laws of physics, and it doesn't try to.
Jeez. Realistic science in video games is a supporting attribute, not the ultimate decider on content. I’m not daft.