Magnetic Shields

Cavilier210

Master endo
I would like to explore the ideas and thoughts surrounding magnetic shields. What behaviors and gameplay mechanics could be made with this? Defensive shields I would argue are different. It was brought up today in the suggestions channel on discord.

So, guys, let's brainstorm use cases and mechanics for a device like this!

XenoCow

Master endo
I think a simple one could be to make ships resistant to boarders by preventing endos from magboot locking to a ship. Either the field generator would have to be used or special boots would have to be used.

A potential way to do this same way would be to have a material that cannot be locked to.

CalenLoki

Master endo
So far boarding is almost impossible when the ship is moving, so why make it even harder? Also with a good ship design, you can watch the entire ship surface from just two watchposts, and clear any boarding attempt with hmg.

Wdm Cav by magnetic shields? Something that repels objects away from the ship to prevent collision?
If yes, those could be made as directional thrusters with wide, conical trails. They'd increase their thrust the closer they are to the surface, and impose the same force at the object they're pointing at.
So at manoeuvring thruster size their power could be 500k-distance[m]*40k
So box thruster strength at point blank, fading to 0 at 25m
And they'd use very little energy when turned on but not in range. So you can keep them going as passive bumpers

Cavilier210

Master endo
Well, I was thinking of the magnetic shield they have in mind to protect real astronauts from the solar wind and high energy particles in space on trips to mars. So its a device that creates a large magnetic field that alters the paths of incoming things that are affected by magnetism. But my creative juices are a little low, so I thought a good brainstorming session as a group could be fun.

CalenLoki

Master endo
I'd rather keep it to physical covers, not as single device that protects entire ship. Unless that ship is big and dedicated to that cause.

I.e. if the sky turns red (or cold blue? just bright?) to indicate solar storm, you have to avoid direct sunlight for few minutes, or it starts damaging endo and exposed components. Or even try to hide the entire ship behind an asteroid. Or maybe design the ship with one side completely shielded with lukium, and turn that side towards the sun.

That would be a nice way to keep players in the belt, as it's the only place with some cover. Unless they have dedicated shielded ship, or a station with magnetic field generator.
And something to pay attention to during travel, mining or even battle.

Cavilier210

Master endo
In the warp drive thread we talked about collisions with small roids. So the primary idea would be to protect the ship at high speeds from debris. But why have a device be single use?

CalenLoki

Master endo
IMO there's no chance we'll ever get faster than 150m/s and still being able to collide into anything.
Due to performance and latency reasons.
So either being close to belt/station/other ships will drop out of warp automatically, or there simply won't be any warp drive.