Mapping the universe and other systems?

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
One thing that has been on my mind is their plans for mapping out the games universe?

Even if a map by default isn't available when you spawn would there be some sort of station or block that displays the local area around it?

Because honestly, getting lost sounds easy xD

Also, are stars planned? The CA from what I heard doesn't have a star so it made me wonder if stars will be a thing?

One thing that has been on my mind is their plans for mapping out the games universe?

Even if a map by default isn't available when you spawn would there be some sort of station or block that displays the local area around it?

Because honestly, getting lost sounds easy xD

Also, are stars planned? The CA from what I heard doesn't have a star so it made me wonder if stars will be a thing?
There are several groups trying to make coordinate systems and third party maps for the game, and there is a group called SOS that can rescue you if needed. What do you mean by stars? Other solar systems?

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
Yeah other solar systems, suns, stars. Like would a star be present in the solar systems?

CalenLoki

Master endo
Currently the whole game takes place around single planet. If it ever needs to get bigger than that (doubt), they'll develop interplanetary mechanics.

Venombrew

Master endo
Currently the whole game takes place around single planet. If it ever needs to get bigger than that (doubt), they'll develop interplanetary mechanics.
oh it will be they already have 9 other moons they are working on making it like 11 moons i do believe and planets too. the devs said its a ever expanding universe.

five

Master endo
What I hope to be aviable over the games life span is like a classic map. A map where you can see all the big stations like origin and so on. I think ISAN is a great thing to be implemented into the game, but a map like this would make it much easier to navigate in my opinion. Of course for precise course to rescue players you would still have to use a gps system like ISAN, but I'd much rather navigate via a kind of star map.

Venombrew

Master endo
when they get the planets done i so hope they put alien beast mobs that spawn and run around on it. that be sweet!

Venombrew

Master endo
The game is player driven. It wouldn't be such a great thing if there would be a random attack by some npcs. Also NPCs take a lot of programming to be a considerable thread.
having a few random mob spawns on some planets out there isn't taking away from the games player driven concept but can be just another form of flavor added. its a space game and having a few beast mobs spawn on planets to add some spice to the planet be fun. The things we could do with those beasts can add a novelty to the game. If you look at the user interface of Starbase's inventory UI there is a spot for clothing(unless the removed it), im thinking skins farmed off beasts. Or what about a massive beast head trophy to display in your station lot? An alien tiger skin throw rug? Something that took you and a crew of 10 to kill?

They already said they want this game to be an MMO style game. Unique beasts with hides and trophies out there on planets drive players even more to want to explore the reaches of space. Also gives you something to do when no one is near or coming to that planet your on. And patrol spawning mobs are the easiest thing to program in a game, once you have the models and the animated effects its literally a spawn and patrol code. At this point its more of another farm node with teeth.

EDIT: Also opens new aspects for players, guys who are hunters, fur and skin sales, prestige on an epic kill that players can see on your CV for bragging rights. Little excitement to help with the long hours of being on that planet alone or even with a small crew. And when players hear about how a group of guys found a large roaming beast on planet x and took it down, gonna drive people to want to go even more to do the same. Since it be a year after EA before we see the planets, they got time.

Hell the way players think, i could totally see someone figuring out a way to capture one to just transport it and release it on another player's space station would be hilarious.

Last edited:

kiiyo

Veteran endo
Since it be a year after EA before we see the planets, they got time.
Source, please? Last time I checked, landable planets were nowhere near being potentially planned for the game.

Venombrew

Master endo
Source, please? Last time I checked, landable planets were nowhere near being potentially planned for the game.
then you need to check again. i will show you many examples, starting with week 22 progress notes:
Planets and Moons
  • Issue with moon surface not counting as a collision when releasing grabbed items has been fixed
  • Moon surface generation has been updated

you know why they labeled it Planets and Moons? cause as far as they see it, moons are nothing more than the small base models of Planets they will use. so once they get the physics of the moons done, not much work will have to be applied to duplicate it for planets.

week 21, again what they do for the moons will be applied to the planets as well, why do you think they keep adding Planets and Moons and not just Moons?

Planets and Moons
  • Range finder device not detecting moon surfaces has been fixed
  • Optimizations to improve the moon noisemap baking efficiency are being worked on
guess what they said it in week 20 too! they also working for multiple atmospheres as well as gas planets too, but weather effects will be very soon since they are snow covering moons, and once they figure out the atmosphere and gravity physics, it too will be applied to moons and planets.

Planets and Moons
  • Player surface movement glitching on steep moon hills has been fixed
  • Assert in editor has been fixed when warping to a moon that isn't the first one due to mismanagement on shared terrain object collision generation tasks
https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/gravity.717/#post-8468
a Frozenbyte Member named ElluFB said on Feb 4, 2020:
"Gravity has not been implemented yet. The goal is to introduce gravity on bigger moons and planets eventually, but how it will work is undecided. "
hey its week 16:
Planets
  • Support added for instancing multiple planet groups
you can even find this same information of notes in week 9-15 as well, minus 14 i do believe. there are a lot more of these i could show you, but at this point i think you get it. next time you should double check where you checked at. cause last time i checked, planets were old news as far as information goes, not even this year new.

kiiyo

Veteran endo
then you need to check again. i will show you many examples, starting with week 22 progress notes:
Planets and Moons
  • Issue with moon surface not counting as a collision when releasing grabbed items has been fixed
  • Moon surface generation has been updated

you know why they labeled it Planets and Moons? cause as far as they see it, moons are nothing more than the small base models of Planets they will use. so once they get the physics of the moons done, not much work will have to be applied to duplicate it for planets.

week 21, again what they do for the moons will be applied to the planets as well, why do you think they keep adding Planets and Moons and not just Moons?

Planets and Moons
  • Range finder device not detecting moon surfaces has been fixed
  • Optimizations to improve the moon noisemap baking efficiency are being worked on
guess what they said it in week 20 too! they also working for multiple atmospheres as well as gas planets too, but weather effects will be very soon since they are snow covering moons, and once they figure out the atmosphere and gravity physics, it too will be applied to moons and planets.

Planets and Moons
  • Player surface movement glitching on steep moon hills has been fixed
  • Assert in editor has been fixed when warping to a moon that isn't the first one due to mismanagement on shared terrain object collision generation tasks
https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/gravity.717/#post-8468
a Frozenbyte Member named ElluFB said on Feb 4, 2020:
"Gravity has not been implemented yet. The goal is to introduce gravity on bigger moons and planets eventually, but how it will work is undecided. "
hey its week 16:
Planets
  • Support added for instancing multiple planet groups
you can even find this same information of notes in week 9-15 as well, minus 14 i do believe. there are a lot more of these i could show you, but at this point i think you get it. next time you should double check where you checked at. cause last time i checked, planets were old news as far as information goes, not even this year new.
Thank you for this information. However, the developers seem to use the words "moons" and "planets" interchangeably, even saying that what they call planets are just big moons.

planets.png

I think that in most players' imaginations, planets would have biomes, mountains, forests, things that would make them explorable. However thus far it's looking like if there will indeed be something that is called a planet in Starbase, it'll be a big copy of the moon.

Venombrew

Master endo
did you even look through the info or do any research for yourself? or did you just copy quote me and throw up your opinion?

I think that in most players' imaginations, planets would have biomes, mountains, forests, things that would make them explorable. However thus far it's looking like if there will indeed be something that is called a planet in Starbase, it'll be a big copy of the moon.
everything you mentioned above besides trees, water and the implented gravity system already exists fully or partially. they have more than 1 atmosphere, some moons are covered in ice, some have a wild fog. the moons they showed have mountains, valleys, drop off points, gaps between lands for low and high land areas, rock debris and hard to pass terrain. these are not smooth round circles.

However thus far it's looking like if there will indeed be something that is called a planet in Starbase, it'll be a big copy of the moon.
again really old information we have known about the planets since last years, and its not a copied big moon, its a planet. moons are rocky and bare these will be planets. EA probably wont be out for months, full release will be even longer than that, the fact they got this much done already towards the planets is awesome.

you should really research this topic more if you want to engage in conversation about it with the people here. cause a lot of the stuff your saying is already on the agenda, currently be worked on, or already being implemented and FrozenByte staff as been very vocal about this.

Returning to the original topic of this discussion, I’m part of a group called the Atlas Project. We’re creating an online map of the Starbase universe, with many features such as registering your own locations. We will hopefully have an operational alpha soon!

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Returning to the original topic of this discussion, I’m part of a group called the Atlas Project. We’re creating an online map of the Starbase universe, with many features such as registering your own locations. We will hopefully have an operational alpha soon!
How will it work? I'm really curious since it seems like a neat idea.

Venombrew

Master endo
are you guys the same people who mapped out World's Adrift?