Mining drones + auto-discovery with YOLOL

Welcome all.
Elite Dangerous shows many mining options. But so far, according to the streamers, I found only manual mining.
Are there plans to automate this process?

Range finders and mining lasers?
near.
I assume that if you create a large ship, you can make 2-4 small ones that can detach and dock. These ships will automatically, upon command, analyze the asteroid and extract a resource from it with a mining laser. But so far, that in the YOLOL I do not see such an opportunity.

MrFaul

Well-known endo
I once single-handedly destroyed a space-mod by building the first autominer...
And while it was a lot of fun, I still regret that to this day.

From what I can see YOLOL is powerful enough to do certain automation applications and alleviate some monotonous tasks.
I don't think mining should be automated, I only hope we will get some better tools to do so.
An asteroid scanner would be nice for a start, so we don't have to check every single one close up.

kevinTOC

Active endo
YOLOL has a 5Hz clockspeed. Rangefinders have a very limited range. Anything that is beyond 1km from any player will cease operations. We simply do not have the required hardware to make automated mining drones. YOLOL is slow, really fecking slow. It won't be able to react in time to maneuver around an asteroid, or find the exact spot it needs to fire its lasers.

On the other hand, you could theoretically use rangefinders to automatically fire the mining lasers.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
if Yolol is too slow you could do it the old fashion way and have someone man a mining turret. Personally I would be going down the Yolol path

That's more likely they think some people may be able to do so with yolol more than a true will of allowing it.
I think.

XenoCow

Master endo
Maybe a hybrid solution could work. You could have a carrier that goes out with a few small mining ships that are player controlled (since ores cannot be determined by YOLOL). When those players are done mining, they could press a "home" button and the ship would automatically return to the mothership and dock.

With the radio transmitters and receivers, this should be possible as has already been demonstrated with the buses. The only difficult part would be for the mining ships to re-aquire the signal of the mining ship. The receiver would need to be programmed to search for the signal, or would have to be manually pointed in the right direction (defeating much of the point of the auto-pilot).