My ideas on design philosophy for three combat ship sizes.

Hey, everyone!
One of the things that I'm looking forward to most from this game is the ship design. More specifically, the design for the most effective and deadly combat ships possible! So, out of boredom given the quarantine, I thought I'd take a shot at predicting the optimal forms that some different sizes of ship may take. I'd love to hear others' opinions on how combat vessels will turn out.
Starting from the smallest:

The Mobile Gun Rig:
Reference image.
This "ship" aims to be the absolute smallest platform that you can still strap some weapons to. It would carry machine guns to out-gun dismounted pilots, and a missile or two for if it gets the drop on an unaware fighter, or to fend one off in a worst case scenario.
The ideal habitat for this would be in a dense asteroid field, or even interior areas if they're large enough. It absolutely does not want to be out in the open, but is a major threat to dismounted pilots, and to a fighter what an anti-tank infantryman is to a tank (provided it has cover to exploit).
Because this is basically a ball of whatever components are necessary to make it move and shoot, there aren't many design considerations to be made, except have it out-gun pilots and maybe add an auxiliary weapon to whack fighters from cover.

The Fighter:
Now, we all know what a fighter does. And being more than a ball of components, we can move stuff about for a proper design philosophy. I'm going to be detailing a generic single-pilot "swirls around shooting guns" fighter as opposed to something that lurks behind an asteroid with an array of missiles.
Firstly, we'll lose the generic fighter plane cockpit. We're slapping the pilot either right on top of the nose like an A-10, or literally in the nose itself, for maximum sight radius.
Now, you want the guns to be as close to the centre of the craft as possible, concentrating fire on where you aim it. Preferably right in the nose, or surrounding it if there's a cockpit there.
With that done, all we need are a couple small reverse thrusters and the front of the craft is done. We now want to put as much of the craft as possible behind this front, as to minimise the frontal profile (which is what will be getting shot at). Additionally, you may want to extend an armour shield outwards around this front section, as so that the back of the ship can't be seen even if the front is seen from a bit of an angle.
Ultimately, this will produce a diamond or teardrop shaped craft. We don't want wings or other extensions, because these just increase the surface area of the craft and make components easier to break off.
Finally, we will place the large majority of thrusters on the "bottom" of the craft, not the back. This is because we want to be moving tangentially to the enemy while keeping our guns on them. We're focusing almost all thrusters at the bottom rather than equally across the sides and top because we can just roll to change the direction of thrust, rather than wasting weight on separate engines.
All-in-all, this will produce a compact (and sturdy) craft with a small front profile to shoot at, which can keep guns on-target and concentrated, with high manoeuvrability.

The Destroyer:
Lastly, I will be detailing the 'destroyer' (name inspired by the naval classification). This is a multi-crew vessel relying on turrets instead of a fixed armament.
The shape will be that of a triangular prism. The turrets will be placed along the edges, not the sides, as so that when one edge is pointed at an enemy all the turrets on the ship will be able to point at it. This also has the added bonus of angling the armour that faces the enemy, causing ricochets and increasing its thickness.
The cockpit will be on the "main" edge (the one preferably pointed towards the enemy when fighting) towards the front, allowing it to see clearly up (the direction of the enemy), forward, and downward towards the front and sides.
The engines will be recessed into the back of the ship for extra cover.
The majority of delicate externals like radiators and hatches will be on the side opposite the "main" edge, which will be most protected during combat.
Additionally, most of the armour will be placed on the two sides connecting to the "main" edge, while the opposite side doesn't need so much.
Ultimately, the destroyer will thus have impressive all-around firepower that it can concentrate entirely onto a single main target (which wouldn't be possible with any other shape of ship). It would be very well armoured also thanks to angling and its compactness. Given the use of turrets, the weaponry will be easily adaptable, replacing machine guns for missile turrets if expecting a battle against larger ships rather than fighters. Finally, this design can be hugely scale-able, from a four-crew to a capital ship.

Last edited:
It seems a bit of to have a whole class for the Mobile Gun Rig as I don't see it as being particularly ubiquitous or varied in design. I think its hard trying to come up with the perfect ship design and I don't think there will be a design that can be easily scaled from a corvette to a cruiser. I could see a more hexagonal shaped design for destroyer/frigate sizes with multiple layers. I think bigger ships would focus on a lot of turrets as to out shoot fighters however that would also require a larger crew. It also depends on the design philosophy of a faction some may want a lot of small lightly armed and armoured ships while others may go for heavily armed, heavily armoured ships. It also depends on where a faction may want its bridge some may want a large but vulnerable view of the battlefield some may want a obscure small bridge that is hard to hit.

It seems a bit of to have a whole class for the Mobile Gun Rig as I don't see it as being particularly ubiquitous or varied in design.
I do agree on this point- while this game will allow way more design intricacy than equivalents like SE, the smallest of ships will still be limited in variation. Nonetheless, I felt it important to outline the class because it is often overlooked for fighters, despite being rather different in play style and potentially one of the more common combat ships (depending on how much of the game revolves around stations and asteroid fields).

Additionally, I think you have a good point about lightly armoured ships, now that you've mentioned them. WW2 destroyers and cruisers typically weren't heavily armoured, but instead focused on redundancy, letting shells sail right through the superstructure without enough resistance to detonate them and so on.
For ships larger than fighters, we might end up seeing large, decorative ships with all the components spread around or packed into armoured boxes throughout. Explosive weapons would detonate on the thinly armoured exterior without doing any critical damage, and penetrative weapons might just go all the way through without hitting anything important.

Yeah well on ships bigger than fighters I think you would see a citadel around the engines, propellant tanks and bridge with lots of heavy internal armour to stop heavy damage to important areas while less important areas such as a hanger/cargo bay or would have less armour.

Also I could see destroyers revert to a smaller state similar to what they were originally made for which was Torpedo Boat Destroyers which was a small ship with a lot of medium guns. So it would be a lot of laser cannons or autocannons with a few heavy cannons to take on fighters and light, fast ships

Large ships will need bigger reactors - they will blow up more violently, and perhaps the best way to deal with them is to send commandos into the cabin to place bombs.

The medium-sized ships are probably the most versatile. Assault landing boats, high-speed gunboats, heavy armour patrol boats, torpedo launching boats, and silent submarines are difficult to develop a general operational plan for medium-sized ships. If there is one, then it's -- don't be distracted, shoot it with a cannon.

There is something wrong with the above translation software.
The medium-sized ships are probably the most versatile. Assault landing boats, high-speed gunboats, heavy armour patrol boats, torpedo launching boats, and silent submarines are difficult to develop a general operational plan for medium-sized ships. If there is one, then it's -- don't be distracted, shoot it with a cannon.
The medium-sized boats are probably the most versatile, assault landing boats, high-speed gunboats, heavy armour patrol boats, torpedo launching boats, silent submarines, and many others. This makes it difficult to develop a common operational plan for medium-sized ships. If there is one, then it's -- don't be distracted, shoot it with a cannon.

Compared with medium-sized ships, small spaceships are like mini airplanes or motorcycles. They can carry a limited amount of ammunition, but they must not be looked down upon - after all, they are real bombs and bullets, and it will very hurts when you get hit.
To deal with small boats, we must use weapons with high firing speed and moderate scattering, preferably AOE, such as plasma gun.

The stability of the ship is very important, which tells us not to make the ship spherical unless you want it to roll around.

The rectangular spaceship is very suitable for driving and fighting,The long strip can provide a great turning moment and make you turn the bow quickly.

I admire your three-level classification very much. I share the same view with you, so that the classification can cover all kinds of ships to the greatest extent, and it is very convenient and fast.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
I would add the following:
The Battleship
Heavily armored and may be heavily gunned. Crewed by a team of players. Center of battle. Absorbs damage. Could be expensive to build.
The Sniper
A medium sized craft armed with rail guns out ranging and kiting other ships on the edge of combat.
The Transport
A one-time-use ship with a high top speed and medium armor. Has a large bay that can fit a team of players. Rams and boards the target ship.

I would add the following:
The Battleship
Heavily armored and may be heavily gunned. Crewed by a team of players. Center of battle. Absorbs damage. Could be expensive to build.
The Sniper
A medium sized craft armed with rail guns out ranging and kiting other ships on the edge of combat.
The Transport
A one-time-use ship with a high top speed and medium armor. Has a large bay that can fit a team of players. Rams and boards the target ship.
That’s nice!

kevinTOC

Active endo
The Transport
That transport seems like a really expensive form of warfare. If you want to make a boarding ship, I'd recommend keeping it small. Fit like 9 people in it. 1 pilot, 8 soldiers. Most ships would likely not have a very large crew, given the small nature of the majority of factions.

Given the nature of the game from what I can tell, I think going with a more modern take of aerial warfare might be more useful: speed + maneuverability. Remember, all of the weapons are manually fired. YOLOL isn't fast enough for reliable targeting systems. If you can zip around your opponents in your ships and fighters, there's far less of a chance of getting hit. Trying to outturn your opponent will work better than heading full speed towards a ship. A single good hit from a fighter's rocket or autocannon could cripple a ship. Thus, trying to minimize your opponent's ability to hit you would likely result in a longer lifespan.