My kid's suggestions. They are cool.

My kid likes starbase. He also has suggestions. Suprisingly cool suggestions, I might add.
  1. Interacticve ores. The ores are dead rocks now. And laser is always better than pickaxe. My kid suggests that some ores blow up on laser impact, some blow up when being hit by the pickaxe. The coolest ore blows up both on laser and pickaxe impact, so you have to thransport the whole asteroid to prosess it. He also suggested asteroids that hit you and your ship with lightnings, unless you are protected by a layer of glass.
  2. Afterburners - when active make the thruster more powerful, it consumes more fuels and overheats. After some critical overheat level the nosels begin to take damage. After maximal overheat the thrusters shut down untill they are fully cooled and they may be damaged with some chance.
  3. Miner beacon. A transponder visible only to you that you can place anywhere to mark a good asteroid spot for example. Runs out of power after some time. Recommended to use with a solar pannel.

Womble

Veteran endo
Engines ought to make heat that has to be dealt with. Afterburners are a classic trope, and there should be options to build the capability into your engine. More engine options in general would be very welcome.

Wow, those dangerous asteroid suggestions are really cool! Your kid is very creative.
I remember there was a mod in minecraft with different gases that you would find when mining. You had to be careful placing torches otherwise you would ignite them and blow everything up. Made things a lot more interesting.

Womble

Veteran endo
- I thought they do... Was I wrong? How to know whad devices produce heat and what don't? Does it matter how close the radiator is to the heat socurce?
I don't think they do... They take electrickery and propellant, but don't affect your heat budget AFAIK. For the context of radiators and your yellow pipes, I think you're mostly concerned with your "Reactors" (Generator(s) plus Fuel Rod chamber(s) etc). I think most other things that are affected by heat, like weapons, have a self-contained heat loop that you can't affect by improving your general cooling.

It matters not even a little bit where your rads are, so long as they're connected to the same pipe network as your Reactor. Except in as much as if the pipe run between heat generation and cooling is long, there's more chance it gets damaged if damage is a consideration.