Not sharing ship blueprint rights

Eranok

Active endo
Making a multilayered ship with optimal fuel efficiency while maintaining a top speed, in a game where speed = surviving (hello worlds adrift again :D) will probably a deep gameplay. If so, design will be a cornerpiece of the game, especially in the most competitive pvp.

This thread isnt against ship sharing, its against having librairies of ship blueprints available VS having human interactions where you go physically ask creators for copies.

ps: try to discuss, not to judge subjectively ('laughtable')

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Nothing's going to stop someone from buying a ship, taking it apart in pieces, and recreating their own blueprint of it for their own personal use. Might as well just be able to sell the blueprint.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
ps: try to discuss, not to judge subjectively ('laughtable')
I stand by my statement. The entire concept is rooted in a fairytale version of player interactions that don't actually manifest in live server populations. Just like when people say "you can hire somebody to guard your mining team!" or "we could have a bounty system and it would control crime"

It is naïve, wishful thinking that leads to terribly designed games and tons of time wasted on concepts that were a dead end from the jump.

It is theorycrafting a fantasy that doesn't reflect how real people interact with these kinds of systems.

Almost nobody is going to pay you for an off the shelf blueprint.
People might pay you for a ship.
People might pay you to design a ship to their specifications.

Almost nobody is going to buy the instructions to make an ice cream sundae when they can just buy the sundae.

This is why the cookbook industry accounts for a tiny fraction of the restaurant industry, and why most people don't know anyone in the modern world that makes their own clothes. Cooking and Sewing, when you have a "blueprint" and the proper equipment are extremely simple. Anyone can follow a pattern with a sewing machine, and anyone can follow a cooking recipe.

We don't, and we are so averse to these concepts that tons of people have mythologized these once-specialized skills that are so simple we built robots to do them in the 1970s and we still use them to this day. People are now convinced they CAN'T sew or cook despite it being easier than ever in the history of mankind to do so.

It isn't because they can't. Its because they don't want to try. They have other shit they'd rather do. The vast majority of people would rather simply have food or clothes than take the time to make food or clothes. Some people genuinely enjoy the process of creating them, and a very small number of people dedicate themselves fully to the art of doing these things and achieve exceptional results. Results others want and pay a premium price for.

In a game that gives every player everything they need to design a ship, full of players who all want a ship, you have all of the problems you'd have writing a cookbook or selling a dress pattern, on top of the problem that your customer base is far more likely to be the sort of person that enjoys doing the work themselves, because this is a building game.

I find the entire concept of "stealing" a blueprint laughable. Imagine being upset someone "stole" your vertical farm design or door design in minecraft. its a building game. It is designed to make it simple to reproduce even complex objects crafted by hand.

Eranok

Active endo
@PopeUrban You didnt get the point.Its not about forcefully having a bp economy

Its about having to interact with people rather than 'menu blueprint libraries' when you need others to have a ship

PopeUrban

Veteran endo

Its about having to interact with people rather than 'menu blueprint libraries' when you need others to have a ship
The entire point of blueprints is not having to interact with people every time you need a certain thing they designed. That is the entire point of a blueprint system, to enable widespread reproduction of a design across multiple facilities in multiple places by making and trading the blueprint to other people in the production chain.

I think @PopeUrban outlined the pitfalls in this idea brilliantly throughout this thread. To comment on your latest point, If I've got to wait for you to be online to buy your BP, I'm just gonna buy a different BP or make my own, this sort of thing never works.

Does anyone know more about how Blueprints are represented in game, in other words how can you see what you are buying before it is built and before you purchase it?

For me at least, the joy comes from designing a ship, testing it, improving it, etc. Not from making copy after copy to sell.
For us, it comes from taking that shiny new ship and blowing it up.

@PopeUrban You didn't get the point. It's not about forcefully having a bp economy
It's about having to interact with people rather than 'menu blueprint libraries' when you need others to have a ship
If we have to wait until you are online, so I can buy your precious and overpriced blueprint, we will just do what we have been doing all this time, which is find someone who sells it cheaper, regardless of who made it.

Endo's are taking this too seriously. This is not a job, it's entertainment to have fun, and how you define that fun it's up to you. You might enjoy spending countless hours in an editor building erector-inspired designs of a ship, and we prefer to come after every new shiny ship and blow it out of the sky, regardless of cargo.

We think the BP designers are going way over the top, and are we think the principal root cause of why the economy blew up as bad as it did, (aside from development issues that have delayed factors). Because BP designers have to charge an insane amount of credits to get a single blueprint in an environment there is no expectation of not cloning your effort and sharing it.

How many Endo's do you think will spend their hard-earned chips in a super expensive blueprint that costs several circuits and maybe a coprocessor... If an endo cannot afford a blueprint it causes them distress and burnout, for they have to go and spend the entireness of their cycles in getting more minerals to exchange for chips until they reach the desired amount (or burn out in the process never to be seen again (potential customer lost).

If ship architects instead sold their blueprints at a more price-minded cost, this would pretty much eliminate the need for other Endo's to search ahem cheaper alternatives, that goes around the actual creator. This ideology would make it possible for all the Endo's to be able to afford these ships that are going to provide better production, which in turn will bring for better ways to build better ships and so on and so forth.

If an architect sells a blueprint for 150,000,000 chips how many Endo's are going to afford that? How many Endo's are going to afford a 1.5 million chip ship in the economy we have presently. It's going to be a lot less than if you sold a blueprint at 100K or 200k. At those prices, anyone can afford a blueprint, Endo's will stop buying or scalping from advert routes and everybody wins.

Even us, which in the end all we want is to blow your shiny new ship out of the sky.

COMPUTER

Almost nobody is going to pay you for an off the shelf blueprint.
People might pay you for a ship.
People might pay you to design a ship to their specifications.
- In the real world you would be right. But it's a game. Where a blieprint IS a ship. But better.
Let me tell you my story - I bought a TriFin (that 3-axis symmethrical small miner). In fact I bought it three of four times. My first TriFin was that old version without the ore scanner and old ISAN. So I had to take off the plates, look for the spot to weld the scanner and messed up the cabeling when I took off some wrong plate. To replace the ISAN i had to look through all the yolol racks. When I wanted to slap the crafting benches, extra thrusters and boxes i had to do it manualy, catching around the thruster stuff, flying around, welding and bolting each part... And after all tihs labor i am not able to repair the new parts with the repair-tool. Because they are not in the blueprint.
So, if i bought a BLUEPRINT instead of the ship (or with the ship) the whole upgrading process would take 15-30 minutes or so. And the ship would be much neater.

- How about having the blueprint strictly personal?
- Or maybe you can make an items that includes your blueprint but is consumed after one use.
1. - If you don't want to share the blueprint - don't share it. So, It's already in the game.
2. - The thing you describe is not different from buying a ship. When you buy a ship from the ship-shop you use the blueprint once to summon the ship first time and it disappears. The only difference is that if you had that one-use-blueprint you could summon the ship for the first time not only in the ship-shop.

So, you want to protect your blueprints and still make profit - how about this:
- You make a blueprint and open a ship-shop on your station. You get profit from selling the ships.
- You rent lots on other stations for opening your ship-shops around the belt.
- You sell licenses to sell your ships to other players.
So everyone who does not care about ship-design will just fly around in your fancy ship and you will get rich.

Eranok

Active endo
1. - If you don't want to share the blueprint - don't share it. So, It's already in the game.
2. - The thing you describe is not different from buying a ship. When you buy a ship from the ship-shop you use the blueprint once to summon the ship first time and it disappears. The only difference is that if you had that one-use-blueprint you could summon the ship for the first time not only in the ship-shop.
Hi Anton, you are quoting an old message of mine, made when the game wasnt out and we knew nothing about shops or blueprints.
Comparing what I said a while ago and what we have today, the major difference is that people interact with shops, not with other people, for the purpose or in-game ship purchases, most of the time. Except if they meet on discord, and arrange something, but its third party.