Notification About Next Patch: Balance update

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Notification About Next Patch: Balance update

As mentioned in a previous post, there's going to be major balance updates made to thruster resource consumption in the next patch. These are the current values, note that there are minor differences between these and the ones previously mentioned. Additionally, there are some weapon and generator changes. If you have not already, please check that your ship designs are able to adapt to these changes.

Thrusters

Box Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 140 to 210
  • Propellant Consumption from 23,3 to 41,28

Triangle Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 17,5 to 96
  • Propellant Consumption from 35 to 37,15

Maneuver Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 5 to 40
  • Propellant Consumption from 11,7 to 23,3
  • Thrust Power from 50,000 to 40,000

Weapons

Mounted Weapon Body
  • Weapon body electricity intake and storage increased from 2000 to 5000

Generators
  • Generator Fuel Chamber raw fuel conversion rate halved. Fuel rods now last twice as long as they used to

Senkii

Well-known endo
Awesome stuff, it will be interesting to see how that will affect ahip design!

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
Does this mean 1 rod can supply 6 generator units now instead of just 3 generator units? so soon 1:6 instead of 1:3 as is now (not counting enhancer use)

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Would still like to see thruster resource use scale with amount of thrust requested - so that a thruster firing at 10% only uses 10% fuel - is this planned at all?

Just for easy comparison, the resource consumption per 10k thrust:

Box Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 2.8 to 4.2
  • Propellant Consumption from 0.466 to 0.826
Triangle Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 0.5833 to 3.2
  • Propellant Consumption from 1.167 to 1.238
Maneuver Thruster
  • Electricity Consumption from 1 to 10
  • Propellant Consumption from 2.34 to 5.825

Compared to the previously suggested changes the Box Thruster propellant consumption went down, and both of the resource consumptions for the Triangle Thruster went down too.

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
Does this mean 1 rod can supply 6 generator units now instead of just 3 generator units? so soon 1:6 instead of 1:3 as is now (not counting enhancer use)
don't think so, they will last twice as long but output the same amount per second

Meboy1000

Active endo
honestly, the only problem I have is with maneuver thrusters, the power increase is silly, now battery powered craft are completely unviable, like the vasama is probably now only going to last like a couple minutes at mose

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
I have to agree with Mutley and Meboy here. Maneuver thruster increases are still very drastic and the overall force was decreased. Given how they already require spamming for decent turning force this only increases item spam. Another downside as Meboy pointed out, is this power increase and force decrease has effectively nuked battery ship designs like the vasama. Either batteries need increased or every design requires a generator now.

I would like to see Mutley's concerns answered. In the current game using any thruster at any value, let's say 5% use, will mean 100% energy and fuel use so long as that thruster is active. Until this is fixed it acts as a nerf and limitation to all possible designs; further promoting item spam to compensate.

Last edited:

Meboy1000

Active endo
OH I completely forgot to mention that maneuver thrusters are illogical in total, they are basically cold gas thrusters right? so they should logically use very little power, basically just a valve, and the propellant usage should be exactly proportional to the thrust they output, like, the equation for propellant usage should be Y= .0023X, where Y is propellant usage and X is the thruster current thrust value (which goes up to 10000 hence the really low modifier)

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I think the maneuver thruster nerf just killed the easy stealth fighters that you could make with them. ;-;

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
In my testing last night, seems there is some power use scaling going on now. I'm not sure how much by, it feels like there might be a flat cost for the thruster being active and then some extra based on thrust demand. Certainly one of my ships that has broken in this patch works at low throttle but fails at 55%+ and I can see the battery draw scale as the throttle is moved.

Needs more community science 😁