Overclock/Overcharge/Turbo

The Idea
  • Adding additional, or more specific resources to a certain component causes it to become overcharged/overclocked.
    • Ex. #1: Use a more volatile fuel as propellant and gain a boost accordingly, but also run an additional risk of some kind (e.g. corrosion damage, possibility of component failure).
    • Ex. #2: Use a different configuration or type of fuel/coolant rod in a generator in order to change how it functions.
    • Ex. #3: Overcharge weapons to increase damage, fire rate, or other stats, but run a risk of some kind (e.g. component failure, instability).
  • Making adjustments to a certain device using YOLOL in order to increase it's operational efficiency.
    • This would be a much harder feature to implement conceptually, but I thought I'd include it here regardless.
    • Ex. #1: Alter the way a reactor/generator functions to increase output while also increasing instability/corrosion.
The Problems
  • Gameplay mechanics like 'more/specific fuel = X amount of boost' would not be very intuitive at a basic level. They would just result in a certain element or fuel source becoming mandatory as you need it to get this extra performance.
  • Somehow (I'm not a developer) these mechanics would have to be implemented in a way that allowed real outcomes to be achieved by taking specific risks. Perhaps there could be some sort of gradual system, where the more you push your devices, the greater the risk or chance that the device malfunctions, but I'm not sure how this would work within the scope of the game.
While most of the examples above are pretty simple, they could be expanded to fit within Starbase's existing gameplay mechanics. If these features are implemented in a balanced way, that offers real pay off in exchange for real risk, then I believe they could make for some interesting interactions.

Unrelated photo below for style
st585388175-e1571764921605.jpg

Last edited:

ST2005

Learned-to-sprint endo
Uhh, what about enhancers? There are enhancers in game, aren't they fitting for you?

Burnside

Master endo
the multi-part nature of most components means there's room to add enhanced or overclocked parts to just about anything, like fuel injectors on thrusters, modified weapon parts, etc

I would love to see a simple thruster boost/afterburner type addition.

Example: enabling boost (toggle) increases thruster output 25%, but uses 2x propellant/energy, and thrusters being boosted heat up. too much heat, and they go into a fail-safe mode (limited thrust output) and/or take additional damage from weapons (small, 10%) until cooled. you could boost for a solid 20 seconds before over heat, but takes 40 seconds for thrusters to return to normal temp

Burnside

Master endo
I'd like to see stuff like coolant piping for radiators get expanded to things like thruster and/or weapon upgrade parts that generate a heat value when used. Much dynamic, very possibilities, wow.