[POLL] What Would You Want to Do Most in Combat?

Which combat role do you want?

• Total voters

XenoCow

Master endo
This is the companion poll to the combat roles poll. This one aims to find out what players would want to do if they could only do one thing in the game. It may also be argued that the results of this could point to what players will do as they will find a task and stick to that exclusively.

Please select your favorite combat role.

Note: This poll has been condensed down since since the forum limits poll item numbers to 10 and there are some niche roles that can be combined for the sake of ease-of-use.

Last edited:

Shulace

Well-known endo
I enjoy flying anything involving big ships, if its disposable big ships for pvp sure. I'll be spending most of my time designing though.

No one wants to be a gunner on a large ship thus far. Hmmmm...

I do know some guys who do want to be in that role, but the controls are horrible for that purpose right now.

Orlover

Well-known endo

I do know some guys who do want to be in that role, but the controls are horrible for that purpose right now.
Almost unusable at the best of times and absolutely useless at the worst. Turret systems have a long way to go. We are all hoping tripods fix large ship combat but they might just make small ships even more OP.

Almost unusable at the best of times and absolutely useless at the worst. Turret systems have a long way to go. We are all hoping tripods fix large ship combat but they might just make small ships even more OP.
Maybe make tripods heavy as hell.

XenoCow

Master endo
You could make it so the pilot seat that controls piloting can't control tripods :unsure:
I think that tripods are essentially just heavy hand-held weapons. They require an endo to use each. The only ways a fighter could use them is if the pilot hopped out of the seat to use the guns or had a bunch of other players going along for the ride.

I think that tripods are essentially just heavy hand-held weapons. They require an endo to use each. The only ways a fighter could use them is if the pilot hopped out of the seat to use the guns or had a bunch of other players going along for the ride.
Maybe I should rephrase it as the turrets for larger ships should always be distinct from pilot controls. Maybe with a "gunner chair"?

I’m the sole vote for spy/scout, but being a gunner is a close second. Does the lack of votes just reflect what you testers know about their current implementation? Maybe there is actual interest?

Orlover

Well-known endo
I’m the sole vote for spy/scout, but being a gunner is a close second. Does the lack of votes just reflect what you testers know about their current implementation? Maybe there is actual interest?
They are pretty bad. Movement is slow and not intuitive at all. It would be a bit better with a mouse but even then the lagginess of the controls and the inability to catch up to a fast moving target makes them almost useless. Also armoring them is almost impossible so even light weapons fire from AC or lasers quickly rips them to shreds as you are a sitting duck on the side of a ship. They are only effective when you have MANY turrets firing heavy weapons fire at a single ship and then some of the shots may get lucky. They came out with "dev turrets" that improved things slightly but it is still pretty bad.
Think of it this way...
You can have a HUGE expensive ship with 5 turrets (that you will probably not be able to fill all the gunners chairs). Each gunner can be taken out with a bit of weapons fire concentrated at any one of them. Each gunner will have a rough time landing shots on fast moving light and medium fighter ships that are possibly each carrying almost as much fire power as the entire large combat ship (this is not hyperbole, some fighters carry 10+ autocannons or other wapons). For the price of that single large combat ship you could instead have 5 or more light to medium fighters.

Large Heavy combat ships while being a lot of fun, are unfortunately not currently practical. Which is sad, because they are a lot of fun. Most of the problem lies with turrets, maybe tripods will fix them.

Last edited:

XenoCow

Master endo
For this poll, I hope that people are voting for the thing they want to do if it worked perfectly, rather than how it works now. For example, I voted for "Large Ship Engineer" but fixing ships while they are moving is next to impossible since any completely missing parts besides beams and wires just fly away after being filled in with the build tool or placed into the world.

I hope to be able to run around patching up holes and stuff later more easily.

I can imagine that the current code for building kind of freaks out if you try to do stuff while moving in a ship. Hopefully the devs can fix it in the future but it's probably quite far down the list.

Venombrew

Master endo
I hope to be able to run around patching up holes and stuff later more easily.
this is actually extremely important. sea of thieves has this mechanic and is very much needed but the game doesn't have player built structure but a very destroyable ship, from holes to destroyed caps, crows nest etc. if we had to stop to repair you would never be able to recover. even worlds adrift in its short run had capabilities to repair while the ships were in flight, and that game had very limited mechanics and didn't survive EA. this shouldn't be too difficult, i think challenge wont be the repair gun but trying to hold in place actual free floating objects.

STEALTH

Well-known endo

Wish the poll had multiple options. I definitely plan on being a gunner on a large ship but my first role will be FPS! Out of all those options "Fighter Pilot" will be the last thing I'm doing as I'm not into it.

FPS Fighting
Large Ship Gunner/Bridge
Mining
Scout
Salvage

Will be doing all those!