Possible fix for plating/armor

StarStoks

Active endo
Hey ya’ll let’s have a discussion about the state of armor/plating in this game. For a day now I’ve been trying to come up with some fixes for the armor system and have thought of several suggestions. I’m really hoping for community feedback and to flesh these thoughts out or find new alternatives from you all. I may drop more suggestions. I will only bring up one each time though, to be able to give breathing room for conversation and focus on each suggestion. I am currently not in Alpha at the moment so a lot of this info is reading from the discord as well as trying to pick up information through the wiki. Feel free to correct me!

As it stands right now armor is fragile. Because of the overall fragility of plating, the current Meta in game are Small ships that are nimble. The Bigger ships should be imposing war machines that can sway the tide of battle by tanking damage, and providing support for their fleet and putting pressure on the enemy. In reality though they are more like sitting targets to simulate destruction since they neither have the mobility or defense capability to get outta dodge. This stems from what I believe is all plating acting similarly to damage ( A base pool of “100 health” that once drops to 0 then starts to take voxel damage.) This means that past the point of the plate’s total health it is essentially useless.

Finding a solution for the fragility to armor will give purpose to plating ships as well deepening many fronts of gameplay. Giving greater purpose to ship design, creating competition for player made creations in the market, and making the meta more diverse at all Ship sizes; with the end goal to make combat and all endeavors with ship making more skill based and rewarding for the players who understand their build.

Solution #1: “Flexibility”

Much like in the real world different materials are more or less flexible. Durability does not always mean it has to be heavy or dense. For example Trees can be dense, sturdy and strong, which prevents animals and objects from knocking them over for the most part, but in certain climates and circumstances regarding wind, constant gale forces can topple trees. In these environments trees have evolved in order to survive conditions by being more flexible in structure by shedding leaves and having less thick branches or allowing the branches to be torn off by the forces, which frees up weight and allows the tree to withstand more. This same principle is somewhat applied to skyscrapers where buildings have a level of “sway” built into them to deal with high winds so that it doesn’t snap.

This same principle could be used in Starbases’ plating system. By adding the effect of flexibility to each plating material. Plates would act like this; So as of right now once a plate hits 0 it begins to take voxel damage. This would still be true under the current plate system, except for, when a plate is broken the flexibility status would activate. Under this status when a plate reaches 0 and voxel damage begins, each time a small chunk falls off a small bit of health will be given back to the whole plate, taking it out of it’s “broken” status and allowing for it to absorb some hits before being broken again. We can take this mechanic one step further and implement it around the beams so that plates near the beams absorb a little more damage than those that aren’t. As this would simulate the spread of impact throughout the beams and not the entirety of a single plate.

Overall I think this could add some layers to several components of the game. Cheap less dense materials could be more flexible and lighter for speed but have smaller HP pools while denser materials would slow down a ship and need more beams to hold up the structure which would give each plate a higher hp pool and would need relatively less plating to get the job done.

Pros

- This system could really force people to think about the foundational structure of their ship so they can maximize their defense, or risk having less beams for the sake of being more nimble but becoming a glass cannon. For bigger ships, less stacking of plating could mean it saves on material cost as well as overall currency cost and in battle could pose more of a solid threat.

Cons
- A new system like this would need a visual audio cue for when you are striking a more or less flexible material, either that or just make the existing sound effects more defined and people will learn over time what they are striking and how to play against it or with it.
- Another issue is that there is an oversight I'm not seeing and that this design could actually buff the smaller ships. Especially since larger ships would be more likely to run the less flexible materials and this would ultimately lead us back to square one.

Do let me know what you think! I definitely want to hash this out and try and find some kind of solution cuz its killing me.

totoro

Learned-to-sprint endo
there's better armor in the game already - I think the main reason noone uses much of it is we're waiting on solid ship firepower that would make being slower worthwhile. Current turrets are slow/sloppy, new systems are coming soon

StarStoks

Active endo
there's better armor in the game already - I think the main reason noone uses much of it is we're waiting on solid ship firepower that would make being slower worthwhile. Current turrets are slow/sloppy, new systems are coming soon

Okay cool I didn't know. I've just been seeing people complain discord about how easy it is to break the plates. What was the solution they come with for the armor your talking about?

And when you say current turrets are slow and sloppy is that because of some sort of input delay or mechanic that requires turrets turn slowly kind of like a tank?

CalenLoki

Master endo
Current armour system is indeed broken. Mostly because it works with per-part hp, rather than per-voxel. It makes big plates much better than small ones, which naturally encourage building flying bricks.

IMO we need simple per-voxel armour model. With each weapon removing always the same amount of voxels, and penetrate the same depth. For given material of course.
With some system to filter out weak hits (for performance). I.e. ignore all hits that penetrate less than 6cm.

Once base system working, time will come for fancy effects, like corrosion, fracture, heat, ect.

StarStoks

Active endo
Current armour system is indeed broken. Mostly because it works with per-part hp, rather than per-voxel. It makes big plates much better than small ones, which naturally encourage building flying bricks.

IMO we need simple per-voxel armour model. With each weapon removing always the same amount of voxels, and penetrate the same depth. For given material of course.
With some system to filter out weak hits (for performance). I.e. ignore all hits that penetrate less than 6cm.

Once base system working, time will come for fancy effects, like corrosion, fracture, heat, ect.
When you say "Per part hp", How are the parts defined? Is it the whole plate you are talking about or are you saying each plate has got different sections that make it up?

And how are you thinking the per voxel model armor would work? Pretty much the system as now except for every voxel has a fixed amount of health before it's destroyed?

And I agree. As of now I feel like devs adding things such as the nebula's corrosion etc are a gameplay factor to force people to build their ships air tight for the sake of forcing everyone to plate in certain ways to not break immersion.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Part is i.e. 96x96x12cm square plate. Or 144x288x12cm. Thruster is made of 5 parts each, ect.

Current system:

Each part has "armour" value, which is equal to volume x material property.

When part get hit, projectile energy is compared with armour. If it's higher, it deals voxel damage.
Either way it reduces the armour of that part. So sooner or later that part will become like wet toilet paper, letting everything through.

Projectiles continue after penetration with energy reduced by the armour value.

It makes big plates much tougher to penetrate than small ones.

Per voxel damage system:

Each material has "armour" value, just like now.

When plate get hit, projectile energy gets divided by armour to determine how many voxels should be removed.
If that number is high enough (i.e. over 2000) they get physically removed.
If it's lower, the damage gets saved in the plate and will be added to the next hit (so no damage gets wasted).
If the plate get penetrated, or is smaller than projectile caliber, it looses projectile energy equal to physically removed voxels x armour, and continue with the remaining energy.

All plate sizes are equally effective against projectile, unless they are smaller than projectile caliber (i.e. plasma cannon)

So far as I've seen, the mechanics of armour are a relatively simple mechanic of "hp vs damage" and once the damage passes the hp the plate breaks however none of the different materials for armour we have react differently to a variety of projectiles. I.e. no armour is specifically good against heat (lasers, plasma) but bad against kinetic projectiles (railguns, autocannons) or vise versa. Like "CalenLoki" said "We need a per voxel hp system." However IMO a better solution would instead be a "Projectile energy vs Armour Energy absorption System." A projectile would be given a energy value (kinetic 100) and every material would have an energy per voxel absorption value for each type of effect (heat 10, kinetic 20, corrosion 5) and every voxel destroyed by the projectile would reduce the projectile energy by the amount of the material attributes until it has no more energy. However this does not take into account fracture damage. So idk how to deal with that without another entire system being put in place. But i think it would be an interesting damage mechanic method.

StarStoks

Active endo
Part is i.e. 96x96x12cm square plate. Or 144x288x12cm. Thruster is made of 5 parts each, ect.

Current system:

Each part has "armour" value, which is equal to volume x material property.

When part get hit, projectile energy is compared with armour. If it's higher, it deals voxel damage.
Either way it reduces the armour of that part. So sooner or later that part will become like wet toilet paper, letting everything through.

Projectiles continue after penetration with energy reduced by the armour value.

It makes big plates much tougher to penetrate than small ones.

Per voxel damage system:

Each material has "armour" value, just like now.

When plate get hit, projectile energy gets divided by armour to determine how many voxels should be removed.
If that number is high enough (i.e. over 2000) they get physically removed.
If it's lower, the damage gets saved in the plate and will be added to the next hit (so no damage gets wasted).
If the plate get penetrated, or is smaller than projectile caliber, it looses projectile energy equal to physically removed voxels x armour, and continue with the remaining energy.

All plate sizes are equally effective against projectile, unless they are smaller than projectile caliber (i.e. plasma cannon)
I really like your "Per voxel damage system". It maximizes the usage of the plate and doesn't render them unless at 0 health. So having half of a plate in battle can still make difference.

I was trying to express something similar in my original post but I feel like this way more concise.

Have devs spoken about any solutions to fixing the armor issue? Or do they find it much of an issue at all?

StarStoks

Active endo
So far as I've seen, the mechanics of armour are a relatively simple mechanic of "hp vs damage" and once the damage passes the hp the plate breaks however none of the different materials for armour we have react differently to a variety of projectiles. I.e. no armour is specifically good against heat (lasers, plasma) but bad against kinetic projectiles (railguns, autocannons) or vise versa. Like "CalenLoki" said "We need a per voxel hp system." However IMO a better solution would instead be a "Projectile energy vs Armour Energy absorption System." A projectile would be given a energy value (kinetic 100) and every material would have an energy per voxel absorption value for each type of effect (heat 10, kinetic 20, corrosion 5) and every voxel destroyed by the projectile would reduce the projectile energy by the amount of the material attributes until it has no more energy. However this does not take into account fracture damage. So idk how to deal with that without another entire system being put in place. But i think it would be an interesting damage mechanic method.
I'd like to see a more rock paper scissors armor system too. This way it keeps all materials relevant.

It would be pretty fun learning the different types of armor and how they are affected by damage. You could lose a fight before you even make it out of the ship editor by not having a grasp of the technicality of this system. I think that can be deeply rewarding when you are able to learn and commit to memory game knowledge like this.

I know nothing about fracture damage! I'll be looking into this more later tonight. And thinking a bit more on your system.

StarStoks

Active endo
Those priorities make sense. I'm really interested to see what their solution is to this system and how the player base will respond and begin testing the new system, if they ever implemented.