Pre-Dreadnought Design or Large Turrets ?

Pre-Dreadnought Design or Large Turret Design ?

• Pre-Dreadnought Design ?

• Large Turrets Design ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Killer_Rabbit

Veteran endo
So since the Shipboard Weapons that the Developers have made are relatively small in comparison to the "large" ships we have been shown would Military Ship Design follow the Pre-Dreadnought design Philosophy of a lot of Medium Sized Turrets with a couple of Rail-Cannons or Plasma Cannons in them over the length of the Ship around the Bridge and on the Bottom or only 2,3 or 4 Turrets on both sides with 3-4 Cannons in them each but only placed on Strategic place on the Ships.

Brushes

Well-known endo
Seems torpedoes are currently the heaviest of weapons avaliable. Which would place ship weapon philosophy closer to WW2 frigate/destroyer.

Also not certain exactly how well heavy armor/angling works so we may or may not be able to bulk up like a dread...

Killer_Rabbit

Veteran endo
Seems torpedoes are currently the heaviest of weapons avaliable. Which would place ship weapon philosophy closer to WW2 frigate/destroyer.

Also not certain exactly how well heavy armor/angling works so we may or may not be able to bulk up like a dread...
So would you be suggesting a couple of medium turrets with most of the ship's weapons being missiles and torpedoes. Sort of like a bit of a design mix between submarines and surface ships

Brushes

Well-known endo
So would you be suggesting a couple of medium turrets with most of the ship's weapons being missiles and torpedoes. Sort of like a bit of a design mix between submarines and surface ships
No, i would not suggest that. I'd guess SB battles will primarily be won by light craft for a while, unless we start seeing devs adding more benifits to ship size.

The problem is armor. Obviously the larger the ship the larger the target. The bigger the ship the more reactors, engines, propellant tanks, etc. it needs. Unless there were significant sacrifices and prioritization of plating on larger vessels a small group of three fighters could overwhelm even some of the largest Empire and Kingdom vessels. Due to the requirement of crew to man guns, this causes point defense to be rather tricky, as you would need most crew assigned to shooting rather than repairing.

The thing about fighters is in deep space it would mainly be the larger ships fighting as unless there is a station nearby I don't see fighters being able to reach an engagement as while the current max ship size is a bit of a mystery I'm not sure a carrier that would carry a reasonable amount of fighters is viable. In terms of the Empire and Kingdom vessels I don't think they have been optimised for anti fighter defence given their interesting shapes also in terms of repairing a ship if you are intent on making a serious combat ship then you would have multiple fall back systems and while you will defiantly need to assign people to repairs I don't see the majority of a crew working on repairs also in terms of having crew man the guns it is more in terms of having the crew aim the guns and keep them on target however I would imagine it would be possible to create automated wave like fields of fire for AA weapons that while it would use up a lot of ammo would be effective.

Given that in order for fighters to attack a ship they would have to aim head on at it unless it has multiple crew members in which case it would be slower and easier to hit then being able to hit fighters would be relatively easy as they would have to approach on a straight path if they wanted to accurately aim at parts of the ship also given the more compact nature of fighters then a stray shot is more likely to heavily damage a fighter as compared to a larger ship.