Rails and Rail Movers - Requesting feedback on current rail usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
1. Tried to use them but found them too buggy, had plans to use them to get around cable limits but used ore crates instead and now we have ducts too.
2. Have not used them in any spawned ships or current designs
3. Zero impact if removed

1. How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far?
    I have used a few, the main purpose was for power transmission across a large ship to keep cables down. I've used rail moves to do some fun glitches tho.
  2. How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far?
    With ducts in the game now it would have absolutely 0 impact on my ships
  3. If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you?
    wouldn't do a thing

1. How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far? :Rarely but i did use em for some creations

2. How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far? :They are mostly used on my designs for charging external self made tools and locking them in the racks via rail and rail mover other then that not important

3. If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you? :Not much

I have nothing agtainst the temporal removal :)

NikofrankoV

Learned-to-sprint endo
I have not used rails whatsoever because i know that they are way too buggy for use in practical designs.

I would love to see rails return in some other form that allows for actual CONSISTENT movement of ship parts. Right now all ships are static, it would be amazing to see pop up turrets, shifting wings and other cool novelty elements be doable with rails. It would add a lot to the designing process. Right no one one usese them because they are just so damn buggy. Kill em! But bring them back! Better :giggle:

CalenLoki

Master endo
I haven't used rails since we got ducts.

However, I use rail movers with turntable a lot for compact high torque rotors, and for high speed rotors. I find them critical for making responsive, armoured turrets.
I can provide some examples tomorrow evening.

I could live without them if other turntables/cradles get their torque increased a lot. Preferably proportionally to their mass (ATM the smallest and biggest turntables provide exactly the same force).

Ping @AuraFB, as I'm probably the only one who finds them important

How have i used Rails?
I have created pop-up devices with rails and initially they worked (around a year ago), but some of the updates made the rail movers have durability errors like not being attached to the frame or requiring more bolts to attach it to the frame, which cant happen because its supposed to move/not be stationary.
Suggestions:
- Make rails weldable to beams and each other, since the original methods of making long rails was with attachment plates between them.
- Fix the durability errors and hopefully allow support for beam sub-structures to be created on rail movers to allow starbase to keep its ship building possibilies open.
- Make a hard limit item to prevent rail movers from flying of the end if rails if wanted by the player, it would still be cool to allow things to fly off on purpose. the current system of using sensors and yolol to stop rail movers flying of the edge is too janky and unreliable so i would call this a must.
-Allow the transfer of propelant/power and data through rails and out of rail movers with a socket, preferably not limiting what devices can be attached to the rail mover.

ZatriX

Learned-to-sprint endo
Heh, I literally just only touched them yesterday and now this )) Made a battery run around in circles, wanted to make a model railway project XD

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
1.How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far?
Fairly often, I use them as extended ducts for energy and to keep item count low. The rail beams offer longer length than what ducts provide.

2.How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far?
Beyond using them for extending energy/power throughout a ship. Not at all.

3.If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you?
It would reduce further creative options in the game. The rails are very useful for addressing energy needs without having to paste a bunch of ducts quickly filling max object count. The rail movers are just useless beyond decorative use.

Senkii

Well-known endo
To come back to my earlier statement about being fine with them gone for now; I've only recently realized how important they are as videomaking tools... So if they are removed for now, I hope they at least stay in existing blueprints and still work in those, otherwise I can't make nice consistent sliding shots anymore :c

Venombrew

Master endo
I assume they would be useful for assembly lines so till we can do that they don't matter to me because they don't work well on moving ships as is.
couldn't agree more, i was hoping the bugs got fixed before my EA projects were gonna start but the major bug issues with them bummed me out. so now ive been spending my time to figure work arounds but an overhaul would fix my issue.

Kodey

Veteran endo
I haven't used rails since we got ducts.

However, I use rail movers with turntable a lot for compact high torque rotors, and for high speed rotors. I find them critical for making responsive, armoured turrets.
I can provide some examples tomorrow evening.

I could live without them if other turntables/cradles get their torque increased a lot. Preferably proportionally to their mass (ATM the smallest and biggest turntables provide exactly the same force).

Ping @AuraFB, as I'm probably the only one who finds them important
So after some experimenting with ship design, I’ve found that the rail turn tables are great for making compact custom turrets, as they take up much less parts/space than a normal small turn table.

I don’t have any good pics, but I’ve used it for a design with this artillery piece I’ve made.

1. I want to be able to make sliding doors and other ideas for builds I have in mind.
2. I have not since I got the game after launch but there is no alternative atm to build a sliding door or for linear movement.
3. atm, it doesn’t, but I would like an estimate on when they are back

For the builds I have planned I would not mind if there were some restrictions like fuel and energy not transferring over the rail weight restrictions are tricky as I do plan on then building a new power source on the rail

CalenLoki

Master endo
1. I want to be able to make sliding doors and other ideas for builds I have in mind.
2. I have not since I got the game after launch but there is no alternative atm to build a sliding door or for linear movement.
3. atm, it doesn’t, but I would like an estimate on when they are back

For the builds I have planned I would not mind if there were some restrictions like fuel and energy not transferring over the rail weight restrictions are tricky as I do plan on then building a new power source on the rail
Sliders are still in game, so you can make sliding doors.
Rails were never working nor intended for doors.

Sliders are still in game, so you can make sliding doors.
Rails were never working nor intended for doors.
I just tryed it its good for "a door" but not good enough for me, I need a bigger door and they dont chain up you so you cant expand them.
also I need them for other ideas not just doors buddy :)

But thanks for the tip tho

CalenLoki

Master endo
I just tryed it its good for "a door" but not good enough for me, I need a bigger door and they dont chain up you so you cant expand them.
also I need them for other ideas not just doors buddy :)

But thanks for the tip tho
They do stack. Just like all other moving objects. Although it requires a bit of extra tinkering with secure bolting, cabling and yolol.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...902047830026/Starbase_2020-10-08_22-35-40.mp4
https://discord.com/channels/423790999052222464/635742331315945472/763863909030428672

CalenLoki

Master endo
as the link you posted shows, they were able to stack but they cant anymore because the devs dissabled it.
im not quite sure the reason why though.
They are still stackable. You just need to use normal turntables rather than those more compact rail movers.

EDIT. oops. You were talking about sliders, not turntables.
Haven't checked those in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.