Should FB really be nerfing the tripod autocanon until mouse controlled turrets are in?

So it seems the tripod autocanon is getting yet another nerf after the weight one (damage decrease and needing electricity.) Now I don't really mind the electricity part, or even the gun getting nerfed overall, but isn't it a bit soon to do so?

I understand the weight nerf to prevent this gun from being mounted on tiny ships, even though 40 tons for a tripod mounted gun sounds quite ridiculous.

However without mouse controls for turrets in the game, multi crew PvP with a pilot/gunner(s) split on a single medium or large ship is pretty much only possible with this weapon. Turrets are basically a false feature currently, and believe me I've tried to make them work (even tried to jury rig a mouse control system with yolol, circuit breakers and "fake" fcu controls to have the turret mouse driven). At best they can be used from an immobile ship to hit an immobile target, which is fine for mining, but then you might as well just steer the ship the right way and not have the turret. But currently tracking a moving target with any degree of accuracy is far more difficult than aiming weapons on a fighter, even if your own ship is standing still, and if your own ship is moving as well it's basically a waste of ammo.

Realistically until we have some sort of functional mouse based turret control scheme (and I'm not talking about the clunky mess you can achieve currently with yolol) turrets are useless for multi crew PvP.

In other words until turrets are fixed (and fixed is wording it nicely, a more accurate way of putting it would be to say "until turrets are actually implemented in the game in a meaningful way"), PvP with multi crew ships relies entirely on the only ship mounted weapon currently in the game with a workable mouse aim: the tripod autocanon.

The notion that the tripod autocanon can't be as good as actual turret mounted guns is very understandable. However doing this balance adjustment before we have mouse aim for turrets is a mistake in my opinion. I feel like the tripod is not being nerfed because it's too good, I feel like it's being nerfed because it's an extremely desirable option when compared to weapon setups that simply aren't viable because you can't aim them properly in an actual combat situation. Additionally, until the turrets are a viable option in a combat situation, the tripod autocannon needs to remain viable as a stopgap to enable multi crew ships in PvP.

Last edited:

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Tripod AC is not nerfed to oblivion, although next balance is quite substantial. While it's damage will be reduced, the largest balance adjustment is the requirement for electricity to operate it at full fire rate. So as long as the multi-crew ship handles electricity side, tripod AC's should be still pretty viable.