space drag, how to make everyone happy

space drag, or space jelly or space porridge, whatever you want to call it, people both love and hate it.
I personally dislike it, just putting this here

The way I think it can work to satisfy everyone is to have an additional field in your FCU called "inertial stabilisation",
This field would make your FCU use your ship thrusters to imitate how space drag works currently, this forces you to build ships that actually work.
If you want to, you can turn this field off and fly manually, like a real spaceship, so if you thrust left, you will keep going left until you stop it with opposing thrust.

Now to stop ships from floating away for eternity, just set it so that if there is no endo in the pilot seat, space drag applies like it does now, this stops all debris, rogue ships and other miscellaneous trash.

This system will make everyone happy, those who want realistic physics can have it, those who don't, don't have to use it and we also don't cause server issues as things don't drift forever.

five

Master endo
Oh yeah i have an idea, how about we turn SB into SE. Why not accept a design choice the developers have made and live with it. Another proposal: Since ur such a fan off having no drag in space, how about you write a YOLOL script, that does it for u. No but seriously. I think we should respect the choices the developers have made, I think the space drag is not realistic but it sets it apart from SE, you do not get the luxus of having inertia dampeners, but you also arent forced to learn a really, really hard and unintuitive physics based movement system. If you haven't seen it I would highly suggest you check out: aslabogranite (Link:
) this is before the space drag got turned down. I think this movement opens a whole nother dimension to the game, to try and master flying in these "unrealistic" conditions. And I stand by my words: if u want realistic physics, you can programm them yourself

One big reason for space drag is game balance. Without drag you could fly huge distances for virtually no cost. This could be counteracted by making fuel tanks smaller, but this would just mean that all kinds of maneuvers are now much more expensive, and maneuvering the belt would be completely fuel inefficient.

Also your suggestion of no drag only when a player is in the seat isn't that much more realistic, it's basically just a balance change that I don't think will help the game. Realistic space flight would involve orbital mechanics, which is too unintuitive for a majority of the playerbase.

Cavilier210

Master endo
You realize the whole point of the drag is to minimize computational needs on the games servers, right? Its necessary for such a large game to operate with so many users. Its not gonna go anywhere.

five

Master endo
Also to be completely realistic space isnt empty, there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum. So there would be atleast a minimal (if not noticeable) amount of drag

XenoCow

Master endo
Oh yeah i have an idea, how about we turn SB into SE.
Please try to keep passive aggressive remarks to yourself. Your other comments are fine, but let's only critique Drogoth's suggestion with counter arguments or suggestions for improvement.

I like that he's trying to find a compromise that opens up more ways to play.

five

Master endo
Please try to keep passive aggressive remarks to yourself. Your other comments are fine, but let's only critique Drogoth's suggestion with counter arguments or suggestions for improvement.

I like that he's trying to find a compromise that opens up more ways to play.
Sry m8 wasnt having that great of the day at that time