Space Drag?

As someone who have a fair bit of experience with pvp from Space Engineers, on survival servers with different speed settings and all.
If render range is 5km, and an object would be traveling at 150m/s, that gives you 33.33 seconds to get out of it's way. That is if it renders in right away. I assume there will be some delay while it is syncing up, same as Space Engineers streaming in ships and such is. So say it takes 5 sec for a complex ship or something to render in. Then you need to actually see it as well and then react to it. If you are not at the flight controls, then you are in an even worse position.
So with the render range being as low as 5km, the fact that it is hard to reach and maintain 150m/s is good.
That being said, 5km is very low for flying around and looking for things in space, so I'm hoping it can be upped to 7500-10,000m.
And when it comes down to "space jam", I worry that it will force the annoying star wars style of "aero dynamic dogfights in space" style, rather than the turn drift and burn sideways style of Space Engineers. Same as the flight/fighting style of the Starfury in Babylon 5, or Vipers drifting through space while turning sideways and shooting up the resurrection ship in BSG. If space jam is instant and kill the speed of light grids fast, then that will be a big bummer for small grids imo. And so I am hoping that it has a delay before it takes effect, and that the effect is very slow and/or gradual.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
From the CA, the space jelly effect is certainly noticeable, but not too bad. There's certainly no aerodynamics function with it. You can only change direction by accelerating in a new direction. No gliding turns.
However, strafing sideways doesn't really work without lateral thrusters to keep pushing you.
While it's hard to judge, (as yet there's no way to measure speed or distance implemented) I'd say going at full speed, cutting thrust and letting space jelly slow you to a stop takes at least 10+ seconds, during which you will travel close to a kilometre.

A Starfury design would totally work, with excellent maneuverability and speed. The Viper attack style of letting momentum carry you past an enemy while shooting probably wouldn't work though.

I'd like render distance to be increased as well, but I think the game needs more optimisation before that can really be done, otherwise it will melt too many pcs.

five

Master endo
Something I have been wondering about, is how the developers are implementing their flight model. Specifically will ships behave as if there is zero drag in space with a set top speed, ie Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous or will ships behave as if there is drag and require constant thrust to maintain speed?If there was a "space drag" it wouldnt necessarily be realistic, but it would increase the importance of fuel management and reduce overall player spread from the original starting locations.
As far as I know from the seeing the developer videos themselves there is some kind of drag but it is not so much. From the developer videos you see that these spacecraft behave partially like spacecraft in zero gravity would and partially they fly like there is an atmosphere around them. As far as I know and as Burnside said: There is a Speedcap