Starbase in five years

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
Your post made me think about something important: What's the endgame?

Discovering all the galaxy?
Your faction achieving intergalactic dominance?
Designing, engineering & testing player-made creations to your hearts content, to the limits of in-game content and imagination?
Create an AI in YOLOL that would pass the turing test?

I feel like we need something more. A setted arbitrary goal to which we can collectively contribute while having fun. Fighting alien NPC raids? Preventing black holes from swallowing our stations? Terraforming a planet?

Having complete freedom in a game is nice, but after reaching high playtimes, you gotta have something to keep veterans focused (other than PvP) if you want to keep your playercount.

Upkeep costs might keep us busy enough I guess.
I suppose it doesnt really have an endgame. Compare it to something like EVE. It does not have an endgame as well, its just *there*. Wars, exploration and industry will keep you busy

CalenLoki

Master endo
Your post made me think about something important: What's the endgame?

Discovering all the galaxy?
Your faction achieving intergalactic dominance?
Designing, engineering & testing player-made creations to your hearts content, to the limits of in-game content and imagination?
Create an AI in YOLOL that would pass the turing test?

I feel like we need something more. A setted arbitrary goal to which we can collectively contribute while having fun. Fighting alien NPC raids? Preventing black holes from swallowing our stations? Terraforming a planet?

Having complete freedom in a game is nice, but after reaching high playtimes, you gotta have something to keep veterans focused (other than PvP) if you want to keep your playercount.

Upkeep costs might keep us busy enough I guess.
That's an important thought.

I'd go for periodic (daily? weekly?) PvP events, where you can earn fame, glory (leaderboard of some kind) and unique cosmetic parts (both for endos and ships).
Something that encourage people (both large and small factions) to risk their ships. Something that promotes spreading the forces, to discourage zergs.

IMO resources shouldn't be the goal, and achieving the goal shouldn't give resources. Both of these make snowball effect even worse, alienating new players and those who don't want to join zergs.

i hope that in five years it will be similar to 2b2t in the fact that there are things like highways or trade routes for ships that will common knowledge not to mess with it