Starbase Progress Notes: Week 11 (2022) - Player station insight

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 11 of 2022!

This week's progress notes give an update on how the upcoming Player station features, such as the Player Ship Shops, are coming along. The last time we focused on Player stations was in week 47 of 2021. We hope that you enjoy these snippets of the Starbase development!

Sieges will be available in the PTU soon, so stay tuned for further announcements!

You can find the latest extensive overview of all items in development, including Player stations, in last week's progress notes: Starbase Progress Notes: Week 10.

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 11 (2022) - Player station insight
March 14 - 18
  • ❌ = Not started
  • 🟡 = In progress
  • ✔️ = Completed
  • ➖️ = Not applicable (work not required in this phase)

Player stations
Feature Description Design Art Code
Station expansion Station build areas can be expanded once certain volume of the previously available area is filled. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Improved Station HUD Currently, the station HUD shows basic information about the station, like its name, class and progress towards next station expansion. More useful information will be added to the HUD with additions, such as a refined voxel volume counter and a progress bar that update in real time, as well as icons for managing station permissions. ✔️ ✔️ 🟡
Station renaming Players are able to rename their own stations from the station list, after which there will be a 24-hour cooldown in effect. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Claiming resigned stations Resigned stations can be claimed by a new player by entering the station's area, and claiming it as their own via a pop-up notification. ✔️ ✔️ 🟡
Group based station access Allows giving and managing station access permissions based on the relationship between the players and the station owner. Access can be set separately for Friends, Company members, Group members and all players in general. ✔️ ✔️ 🟡

Station Build Mode
Controls guide and improved rotation for grabbed objects When grabbing an object in Build Mode, a drop-down guide for all basic controls and keybinds appears. On top of that, the rotation system for grabbed objects has been overhauled, and will be improved further throughout the game's development. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Quick select for modules Pointing at a module in game and pressing a specific hotkey spawns a new module of the same type for quicker building, if those types of modules are available in the player's station storage. ✔️ ➖️ ✔️
Placing multiple objects Players are able to easily place multiple pieces of the same module/single item in rows and columns when building, by holding the placement button after placing an object and moving the cursor in the direction of their choosing. The modules/items will automatically snap in place with the same orientation, as the first piece. ✔️ ➖️ ✔️
Object style selection While building, players can easily scroll through the different modules of the same type and the upcoming decoration styles for them without having to open the crafting menu or storage. ✔️ ➖️
Furniture and decoration New furniture blocks, like seats, benches, tables and counters, which can be used to furnish your station. New lamps, billboards and hologram projectors are also in the making. ✔️ 🟡 ✔️

Siege related
Area validity for all station types All types of stations have a minimum material volume required for each area to be valid like Capital Ships do (however, only Capital Ships have the effect of requiring all areas to be valid to expand). Only valid areas count towards station class and form capture zones in sieges. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Reconstruction Machine for stations A new station version of the Reconstruction Machine. To be able to use it for respawning, you need an Endo Kit, and the machine should be connected to a generator for electricity through a Supply Conduit network. ✔️ ✔️ 🟡

More additions for stations
Cable/pipe support for Blueprint Filler A cable/pipe support for Blueprint Filler is being worked on, allowing players to auto-fill their cabling/piping. The cables/pipes will be taken directly from the player's inventory. ✔️ ➖️ 🟡
Player Ship Shops With the Player Ship Shops, players will be able to place their own ships for sale. At first, player-made ships would only be sold at Sunny Ship Centers, but in the future iterations of the feature, players would be able to host their own shops at their own stations. 🟡
Increased crafting bench range The range of crafting benches in stations will be increased to cover entire build zones. ✔️ ➖️ ✔️
Tripods on player stations Placing tripods and tripod weapons at Factory Halls on player stations has been implemented. ✔️ ➖️ ✔️
Painting stations The Paint Tool can be used to paint station parts layer by layer. Some objects, such as plates, have only one paintable layer, due to their small size. The consumption logic has also been adjusted, so that larger objects require more and smaller objects require less paint. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Hangar Halls Hangar Halls can be used for ship spawning and despawning on your station. By adding different terminal modules to your Hangar Hall, you can also have Ship Designer and Repair Hall at your station. ✔️ ✔️ 🟡

Gallery

Sb_prognotes_wk11_Station01.jpg Sb_prognotes_wk11_Station05.jpg Sb_prognotes_wk11_Station03.jpg Sb_prognotes_wk11_Station04.jpg Starbase_furniture_fence_parts_15.3.2022.jpg Starbase_furniture_fence_parts_test_15.3.2022.jpg Sb_prognotes_wk11_Station02.jpg

Videos

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Last edited:

Zarenno

Active endo
Still waiting for heat tracking to make this game and sieges viable... Cant find someones base right now unless following them from origin, shooting them down with their isan intact, or randomly coming across it.

Access can be set separately for Friends, Company members, Group members and all players in general.
you can also have Ship Designer and Repair Hall at your station.
If "access" includes station inventory, it is AWESOME to see these two features being worked on! I can't wait to see the player base start to very slowly return when these two features are implemented into live! It will be a massive milestone for the game!

Kenetor

Master endo
this update seems to be completely missing info on station storage changes, player built storage, resource ducting (same as cap ship, originally revealed for stations first), oh and station based power systems (solar is working on ships for a while now).
Kinda concerning none of this is listed yet play made ship shops is and lets be honest we all know that's over a year away at this, one would hope this other stuff would come before that.

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
With the Player Ship Shops, players will be able to place their own ships for sale. At first, player-made ships would only be sold at Sunny Ship Centers, but in the future iterations of the feature, players would be able to host their own shops at their own stations.
I think the player ship shops are a great idea and really look forward to this. But I do wonder, how will this work with station siege? What happens if you lose your station with a shop on it? Does the new owner get to sell your ships? Or can you stop selling your designs there?

I think it's disincentivized enough for players to build outside the safe zone because sieges will exist. But losing control of your own ship sales would be taking these disincentives to the next level.

Eviltek2099

Well-known endo

Kenetor

Master endo
I don't think the devs care what we want. It's why i stopped playing. I'll be back when the the beam welding comes back.
I don't think this is true at all, just that they can only work on so much at 1 time, and they committed to caps and siege over a year ago, they cant just drop it mid way through dev for it

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
I certainly hope Seiges are not planned to hit live before the combat overhauls and mous aim. If we do, we are going to see a few people that invested time now knowing their kit was going to be throwaway when the reworks hit (that were expected to be happening at the end of 2021 so not many did) knocking over a bunch of unguarded hibernating players stations, and those that are here generally avoided making combat ships because the combat sucks. Those that DO invest in making a new ship just for this after coming back do so knowing its going to be trashed shortly by the reworks, and then get greeted with awful combat. I hate to be so negative, but really I feel the combat overhauls NEED to come before the live release of seiges. You would be putting your worst foot forward if seiges came to live before the combat overhauls.

fr4me01

Active endo
Still waiting for heat tracking to make this game and sieges viable... Cant find someones base right now unless following them from origin, shooting them down with their isan intact, or randomly coming across it.
Heat tracking is a siege support system which doesn't need to be added before or with sieges to make sieges functionally possible in the game. MANY MORE FEATURES HAVE to be added BEFORE SIEGES hit to make ANY of this core block of massive features they say they have backlog completed to FUNCTION.

this update seems to be completely missing info on station storage changes, player built storage, resource ducting (same as cap ship, originally revealed for stations first), oh and station based power systems (solar is working on ships for a while now).
Kinda concerning none of this is listed yet play made ship shops is and lets be honest we all know that's over a year away at this, one would hope this other stuff would come before that.
Really all of this. Where is inventory 2.0 that was VITAL and "blocking many more large features we already have completed"? Why the flip-flop on feature priorities? It really does feel like you're assigning current teams working on X to work on Y instead. Are ball turrets done? What happened to those?

still think the new station look is unimpressive compared to the old stations.
Imagine how many man-hours they wasted when they threw the better old system away. Then imagine on top of that how many months of dev time they have wasted on forcing EBM stations on all of us and trying to make them work. We're attempting triple L territory here.

I certainly hope Seiges are not planned to hit live before the combat overhauls and mous aim. If we do, we are going to see a few people that invested time now knowing their kit was going to be throwaway when the reworks hit (that were expected to be happening at the end of 2021 so not many did) knocking over a bunch of unguarded hibernating players stations, and those that are here generally avoided making combat ships because the combat sucks. Those that DO invest in making a new ship just for this after coming back do so knowing its going to be trashed shortly by the reworks, and then get greeted with awful combat. I hate to be so negative, but really I feel the combat overhauls NEED to come before the live release of seiges. You would be putting your worst foot forward if seiges came to live before the combat overhauls.
Without Inventory 2.0 which has been nearly radio silent there is no purpose, reason, or even possibility of a siege happening. That is before we talk about how dumb it is to build an actual full size battle ready capital ship in space with easy build mode. IMO if they launch this whole feature back without Cap ship and Station DESIGNERS then they will fail zero-day. A lot of people are waiting for this specific block of content to drop. If the devs drop it and 5,000 players come back to this hoping they can suddenly make cap ships and have fun with combat then they find out it all has to be funneled through EasyBuildMode considering all of their first week of EA experiences with EBM.. I doubt any of them will stay around. I don't expect them to. Thats a large pill to swallow.

This content block has to be a banger. If its another release like the original release with the surprise tech tree gate and easybuildmode re-writing some of the better aspects of the game completely (while breaking it for everyone for MONTHS. WHERE IS THE ROADMAP BTW?) .. I have a feeling even I will be done with this game.

The literal dumpster fire that was the first month of EA launch was caused by either complete disconnect to their existing playerbase, or just complete apathy for what they had to say. If this next content block launch is handled the same way with either extreme disconnect (which is actually visibly happening currently and has been for a while) or apathy this game could very well anger enough of their core playerbase to the point they wont come back regardless of what gets dropped in the future.

ALSO: Obligatory: Roadmap?

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
Really all of this. Where is inventory 2.0 that was VITAL and "blocking many more large features we already have completed"? Why the flip-flop on feature priorities? It really does feel like you're assigning current teams working on X to work on Y instead. Are ball turrets done? What happened to those?
Inventory 2.0 is not a singular piece, we've already had some of it come to live already with the floating windows and such, yes its a blocker, but its not like zero progress has been made.
as for ball turrets, they were prototyped because art department time was free, I doubt they are currently being coded yet however.

I agree on your points of communication from the devs, this has all but dried up, nothing new coming out from anything but the progress reports now. But seriously, if you think the roadmap is gonna have anything significantly new then you are kidding yourself, just use the old roadmap, its gonna take them all of this year to get even close to finishing it, lets not kid ourselves here.

what we need is an update on the overall vision, so much has changed/move away from what we were shown in the trailers, no one knows what we are working towards any more. i mentioned this to Lauri MONTHS ago and its still as true now as it was then.

fr4me01

Active endo
Inventory 2.0 is not a singular piece, we've already had some of it come to live already with the floating windows and such, yes its a blocker, but its not like zero progress has been made.
as for ball turrets, they were prototyped because art department time was free, I doubt they are currently being coded yet however.

I agree on your points of communication from the devs, this has all but dried up, nothing new coming out from anything but the progress reports now. But seriously, if you think the roadmap is gonna have anything significantly new then you are kidding yourself, just use the old roadmap, its gonna take them all of this year to get even close to finishing it, lets not kid ourselves here.

what we need is an update on the overall vision, so much has changed/move away from what we were shown in the trailers, no one knows what we are working towards any more. i mentioned this to Lauri MONTHS ago and its still as true now as it was then.
I do understand that inventory 2.0 is essentially re-writing their entire inventory system again, but I bring it up because its a system thats interwoven in literally everything that is "soon:tm:". Without it literally nothing else makes sense/can be accomplished. The current system is STILL bugged, disappearing things. The new system is nearly never mentioned anymore. If theres a massive setback in this new system there is no news, if its soon there is no news. Cap ships, Siege, Moon Mining, and even Stations themselves hinge on this single feature and FB is near radio silent.

I don't think the roadmap will show anything new. That is the problem. We're about to be 4 months into 2022 and FB cant even put out a roadmap. Are they really this chaotic in development right now? I realize some of the feature flip-flop is from setbacks like apparently with Inv2.0 whether the devs tell us or not, but come on.

I agree with you the overall vision since Day 1 of launch has been nearly completely lost, none of us average players have any clue what the vision for SB is anymore with what little information FB gives being completely, or features seemingly never being release while massive swathes of the current game that WERE working, being gutted and replaced.

From the outside this looks extremely chaotic and if I must say as an owner of multiple businesses, completely mismanaged.

If this new roadmap is delayed a full year more (which I suspect) I would say the people who still bother to check these forums, or play this game deserve to know. Don't let us sit around and hope sieges are coming soon to live when the basic features that siege requires (inv2) is a year away due to setbacks. We are mature enough to take the bad news. But if you let us sit and wonder and hope you'll see a lot more angry "wheres muh x feature, lOl dEaD gAmE" bs everywhere.

Kenetor

Master endo
I do understand that inventory 2.0 is essentially re-writing their entire inventory system again, but I bring it up because its a system thats interwoven in literally everything that is "soon:tm:". Without it literally nothing else makes sense/can be accomplished. The current system is STILL bugged, disappearing things. The new system is nearly never mentioned anymore. If theres a massive setback in this new system there is no news, if its soon there is no news. Cap ships, Siege, Moon Mining, and even Stations themselves hinge on this single feature and FB is near radio silent.

I don't think the roadmap will show anything new. That is the problem. We're about to be 4 months into 2022 and FB cant even put out a roadmap. Are they really this chaotic in development right now? I realize some of the feature flip-flop is from setbacks like apparently with Inv2.0 whether the devs tell us or not, but come on.

I agree with you the overall vision since Day 1 of launch has been nearly completely lost, none of us average players have any clue what the vision for SB is anymore with what little information FB gives being completely, or features seemingly never being release while massive swathes of the current game that WERE working, being gutted and replaced.

From the outside this looks extremely chaotic and if I must say as an owner of multiple businesses, completely mismanaged.

If this new roadmap is delayed a full year more (which I suspect) I would say the people who still bother to check these forums, or play this game deserve to know. Don't let us sit around and hope sieges are coming soon to live when the basic features that siege requires (inv2) is a year away due to setbacks. We are mature enough to take the bad news. But if you let us sit and wonder and hope you'll see a lot more angry "wheres muh x feature, lOl dEaD gAmE" bs everywhere.
again, a new roadmap wont change anything, people keep asking for it likes its gonna fill in a blank or answer a question.
we have a roadmap, its here: https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php?title=Roadmap, next to nothing has changed, so why make a new one?