Starbase Progress Notes: Week 34 (2021)

KaleFB

Community Manager
Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of week 34 of 2021!

New guy here, filling in for Ellu today but don't worry, she'll be back soon!

These notes are basically a continuation of the notes from week 32, so you can compare and contrast the two. We are still figuring out the best way of formatting these, so please, give your opinions on the look of the notes.

Below we have listed the different states, and an explanation of what that state means in terms of development process.
Design: first phase of development
Art asset: done after designing of the feature, but can be done either before, after or at same time with programming.
Programming: programmer implements the feature based on design
Configuration: feature is technically done but a designer needs to configure it
QA: feature is technically done but needs testing. May happen before or after configuration.

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 34 (2021)

Click on the pictures to zoom in for better readability!

Completed

ProgressNotesCompletedFeatures.PNG

New

ProgressNotesTableNew.PNG

Features in the works

Moons

ProgressNotesTableMoons.PNG

Capital Ships and Spaceships

ProgressNotesTableSpaceships.PNG

Capital Ships explained:

Station siege explained:

Stations

ProgressNotesTableStations.PNG

Devices and machines

ProgressNotesTableDevicesAndMachines.PNG

Other features

ProgressNotesTableOther.PNG

Miscellaneous

List of various other features that are being worked on:
  • Atmosphere improvements
  • Belt visualization improvements
  • Ship structural integrity improvements
  • Various tool and magazine bug fixes
  • Various improvements and additions to crafting
  • Various animation fixes
  • Around 60 bugs fixed in the past two weeks

Gallery

Materialtest_1.jpg Materialtest_2.jpg

Videos

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Looking forward to be pulled over by Space Cops to check my ship deed.

These notes are basically a continuation of the notes from week 32, so you can compare and contrast the two. We are still figuring out the best way of formatting these, so please, give your opinions on the look of the notes.
I liked the circle color coded notes, but maybe more colorblind-friendly colors...

Looking forward to be pulled over by Space Cops to check my ship deed.

I liked the circle color coded notes, but maybe more colorblind-friendly colors...
They were far more readable at a glance, at least for those not color blind. How about color coded circles but with clock like indication inside.
  • thick red rim - not started
  • half filed yellow circle - in progress, could even vary the fill in clock like manner to indicate estimated progress
  • solid green - ready.
I hope such format would be readable for everybody.

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
So much to look forward to.

I particularly like the drive through repair and redesign halls. I wonder if they will be on Origins or player station hosted... :unsure:

Why not focus on more important stuff other than armor balance n stuff.

That should only come after you add the content.
Cause as soon as u drop the content, meta changes and shit is gonna need balancing again.

IMO Content > Balancing

Salbris

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Why not focus on more important stuff other than armor balance n stuff.

That should only come after you add the content.
Cause as soon as u drop the content, meta changes and shit is gonna need balancing again.

IMO Content > Balancing
What content though? Weapons are already in the game and as far as I know they aren't adding any new armor or weapons?

What content though? Weapons are already in the game and as far as I know they aren't adding any new armor or weapons?
I mean, the Moon stuff
Alot is gonna change bcs of it

Adding the moon content is gonna change PVP cause its gonna unlock Railguns
And shit is gonna need balancing again

blazemonger

Veteran endo
@ViribusEgoVis
Content >balancing is not how it works in game development.
You design, program, QA in house, balance, back to QA in house, implement in public build, get data, balance based onthat data when needed.

The game is quite a ways away from being ready for "new content" and being a sandbox MMO, that would not be ready made content but more tools and mechanics allowing uis to create that ourselves.

@KaleFB
Thanks for this update.. lot of information and most of it seems reasonable in the timeline the game is in. It does feel like Capitals and moon mining are further away that I had hoped but I appreciate the transparent detail.

I would like to see a more readable typeface for the overview though, this one is not great. Frankly,. just sticking with the default for the forums would be fine.

@ViribusEgoVis
Content >balancing is not how it works in game development.
You design, program, QA in house, balance, back to QA in house, implement in public build, get data, balance based onthat data when needed.

The game is quite a ways away from being ready for "new content" and being a sandbox MMO, that would not be ready made content but more tools and mechanics allowing uis to create that ourselves.
I understand but they're balancing stuff even tho stuff from Moon mining is gonna bring a railgun...
Plus, less and less ppl are playing wich means less pvp, so they could've atleast waited a bit to worry about it
(Thats just my point of view, change my mind)

Last edited:

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Armor Rebalance incoming :rolleyes:
More like new materials (alloys are already on PTU). However, we will also look into balancing materials/damage system all the time.

Health Bar took 3 weeks :unsure:
The accuracy is around a week, give or take, and it includes also the regeneration logic.

Moon mining is only height maps? No voxels? No underground bases?
It's heightmap only, but the possible depth is around 100 km for the first moon. So given the depth it's at least below ground level base :D