Starbase Progress Notes: Week 39 (2020)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 39 (2020)
September 21st - 25th

Hello everyone. Here are the progress notes of Week 39, hope you enjoy!

Design

Features
  • Player head health has been increased, players are now able to die from headshots
  • Repair Job gameplay improvements have been worked on
  • Mining Job gameplay rework has been finished, mostly to accommodate new tutorial features
  • Armor update design and related math have been finished
  • Asteroid belt design and material configurations have been started for higher progression tiers
User Interface
  • UI and walkthrough features for the Repair Job tutorial have been worked on
  • Improvements have been made to the Demolition Job tutorial experience
  • Quest Tool UI has been reworked to work better with the current tutorial quest implementation
  • New tutorial phases have been added to Mining Job and Repair Job
Stations
  • Mining job hall has been updated with new workstation layout and structural changes.
  • Player spaceship shop updated:
    • All player spaceship shops' Hangar showrooms now have one large and one very large showcase areas. Mediums have been removed.
    • Due to the Hangar showroom update, spaceships "201 Bruiser" and "Nate" have been temporarily removed.
    • The following spaceships have been relocated: "Buffalo", "Vidar", Akimbo 1", "Racer"
  • Okim's Magnus has been removed
  • Kenetor's Buffalo, which had disappeared from Rando Spaceship shop due to LOD issues, has now been fixed
  • Missing Refill & Recharge slots have been placed back into Proia station
  • Two Mass Transit stops have been removed from Starting station due to them blocking the walkways of the updated station layout
Spaceships / Spaceship Designer
  • Transparency of windows and glasses in Spaceship Designer has been changed to make them a bit more visible

Code

Gameplay
  • Work on station building continues, auto-building has been optimized
  • Work on Repair Job continues, spawning issue has been fixed and repair checks have been added
  • Ship frame integrity calculation has been reworked
  • Frame integrity display was improved in Spaceship Designer
  • Broken thruster attachments (mainly nozzles) should no longer block their thrusters
  • A short bolt may now sometimes be placed when a longer one would be invalid only due to a gap between the components it reaches
User Interface
  • Chat was updated to unhide a channel when sending message to it
Audio
  • A fix was made for flyby audio not triggering with fast projectiles
Spaceship Designer
  • Switching to edit mode while editing a YOLOL chip in test mode should no longer lock up controls
  • Editing YOLOL scripts in Spaceship Designer should no longer lock controls
  • Unsaved changes are now prompted when exiting the game from the menu or using ALT+F4

Art

Animations and Emotes
  • Work on explosive drill animations continues
  • Work on remote explosive animations continues
  • 1st person versions of select emotes are in the making
  • New ADS poses made for rifle and pistol (3rd person)
  • Unarmed rummage animation polished (3rd person)
Stations
  • Marketplace's legacy asset replacement is underway
  • Holograms that indicate which shop monitors sell weapons and which ammunition were added to Ares weapon shop in Marketplace
  • The colors of Asteroid Collection buildings were changed
Weapons
  • Hit spot for Tractor, Cargo Lock and Rangefinder Beams have been fixed to be more persistent
  • Mining Laser VFX updated (both Hit and Shoot fx)
    • A lot stronger and also more in line with other laser based weapons/tool tech
    • Also resolved some bugs related to a delay on the hit fx themselves
Other
  • Large ice asteroid tests in the new belt are underway
  • Asset icons were added for the following categories: Attachments, Beams, Decorative Plates, Cargo, Controls, Doors, Lamps, Navigation, Networking, YOLOL, Hardpoints, Ship Weapons
  • Inventory icons were created for Tools and Utilities

Gallery

Week39_Starbase_asteroids_ice.jpg Week39_Starbase_levelart_ammo_shop_monitor_hologram.jpg Week39_Starbase_levelart_weapons_shop_monitor_hologram.jpg Week39_Starbase_asteroids_ice_2.jpg

As always, feel free to ask any questions regarding these progress notes!
And if you haven't yet, go add Starbase to your Steam wishlist!

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Have player ship updates been accepted yet? I fixed my ships as soon as possible after the first SI patch dropped, so it is a little frustrating to find the old versions still in the shops, and even more so to find broken versions of them out in the ring :(

Edit: That all sounded a little negative, so I just want to add: great to see progress, looking forward to trying repair job, thanks FB! :)

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
Have player ship updates been accepted yet? I fixed my ships as soon as possible after the first SI patch dropped, so it is a little frustrating to find the old versions still in the shops, and even more so to find broken versions of them out in the ring :(

Edit: That all sounded a little negative, so I just want to add: great to see process, looking forward to trying repair job, thanks FB! :)
I'm hoping they finally get the Buffalo update in there too. Id be interested in hearing more about what sort of LoD issue they encountered too