Starbase Progress Notes: Week 39 (2021) - Moon Bases and Mining status update

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

Moon Bases & Mining - Status Update

Time flies and we are already in October, but there's still no Moon Bases or Moon Mining on the live side. You're probably wondering why, even though we were targeting late September for these next big updates. Here's a rundown of where these two features are in terms of progress:

❌ = Not started
🟡 = In progress
☑️ = Completed

Moon Bases
w39_moonbases_v1.png

Mining ore in moons
w39_moonmining_v1.png

On the PTU side, Moon Bases can be built, but similar to normal player stations they still have some bugs that need to be ironed out. The moon surface is mineable, but the deformation only shows to the miner and not others, and the progress is not permanent yet. We are mainly working on the backend server implementation that will allow moon mining to create persistent holes in the surface that will also be synced with everyone. Once that is done and the other configurations are made, we should be ready with Moon Mining to be pushed out to the live side.

It's an unfortunate second delay for Moon Mining & Bases, as we know you're all anxious to get your hands on new content. Once this does hit the live servers, new and previously unobtainable ore materials will also become available so it should be worth the wait!

Note: This is a delay to Moon Mining & Bases, but not necessarily the other big features like Capital Ships and Station Siege. In fact, we'll have some more news soon...

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Gallery

sb_prognotes_w38_moonrock_A.jpg sb_prognotes_w38_moonrock_G.jpg
sb_prognotes_w38_moonrock_I.jpg sb_prognotes_w39_moonrock_K.jpg
sb_prognotes_w38_moonrock-asset_A.jpg sb_prognotes_w38_moonrock-asset_C.jpg

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Last edited:
Sounds super cool! Can't wait to try out the new features once they're out.

Just wanna say it's awesome to see you guys smashing it out day after day. I haven't worked in games professionally, only on small projects but I can feel the intense dedication and effort that it requires to get something from A to B so all I can say is well done. It's truly inspiring. Hope to see this game become what it has the potential to be.

Keep it up FB you got this!!

until we have working stations, there is no point to come back
True, plus there's a new game out right now drawing all the attention. I think once the bugs get hammered out, and we get some new features in this game, players will return.
Devs, please keep up the awesome work!

mikan

Well-known endo
How many days ago have you been working on server implementation, and how many days will it take?

Thk

Learned-to-sprint endo
How many days ago have you been working on server implementation, and how many days will it take?
More than one and also more than one. My understanding is netcode is magic (more so than normal code) and thus takes longer with more problems.

neckster

Learned-to-sprint endo
Any progress is good progress. While I'm not a fan of the format you use to convey this information. I get it.

mikan

Well-known endo
More than one and also more than one. My understanding is netcode is magic (more so than normal code) and thus takes longer with more problems.
I just want to know when the problem is discovered and how many days I have a fix or investigation scheduled

Throdnk

Well-known endo
Great progress, and thank you very much for keeping us updated.

With hole digging being planned, will there be also a method to fill up holes in the area around a base? I remember that when activating meteroids (or other players in a multiplayer setting) in Space Engineers, the surface became ugly quickly without a way for the player to fix it.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
Solid progress. Personally I would much rather see you guys take your time, miss an "announced" deadline but come out with a solid implementation a bit later.

This is not a race, the road ahead is long still so yes, better delay to get it right than rush and miss the mark is what I'd prefer..