Starbase Progress Notes: Week 46 (2021)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
_Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 46 of 2021!

This week's progress notes show all the major the features, additions and improvements currently in the works. The features have been roughly divided into categories and in the beginning, we list both new and recently completed items from the past two weeks. We hope that you enjoy these snippets of the Starbase development!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

_discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 46 (2021)
November 15th - 19th

Below we have listed the different states, and an explanation of what that state means in terms of development process.
Design: first phase of development
Art: done after designing of the feature, but can be done either before, after or at same time with programming.
Programming: programmer implements the feature based on design
Configuration: feature is technically done but a designer needs to configure it
QA: feature is technically done but needs testing. May happen before or after configuration.
The weeks marked in the "Time in development" column show only the active development weeks during which the feature has been worked on and include all phases of development. The time is rounded up to weeks, so in other words, if one day has been spent on a feature during the week, it still counts. Therefore, please treat the week counter as a rough estimate only.

Completed in the past two weeks
Table01_Completed.png

In Progress

New
Table02_New.png

Moons and moon mining
Table03_Moons.png

Capital Ships
Table04_CapitalShips.png

Siege
Table05_Siege.png

Spaceships
Table06_Spaceships.png

Stations and Easy Build Mode
Table07_Stations.png

Devices, machines and tools
Table08_Devices.png

Combat
Table09_Combat.png

Other
Table10_Other.png

Gallery

Sbprognotes_w46_siegeterminal_mockup.jpg Starbase_new_missile_assets_19.11.2021.jpg Starbase_furniture_smartCasual_counterSet_19.11.2021.jpg

_discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Kenetor

Master endo
YEAH BOI!
Any word on what we actually use these city apartments for yet?
Alot of work has gone into them and we don't even know the point of them yet!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update FB! Particularly interesting is how the siege mechanics seem to work (based on the screenshot) seems very structured ... similar to EVE in that you need to wait for a specific window to attack a structure except in Starbase's case, the attackers are the one that define that window which creates an interesting dynamic. Because the defender won't really know 100% when their structure will be vulnerable, instead they can assume it is always vulnerable, and should always have assets on standby to defend it. Should be interesting to see in action on the PTU! Hopefully I'll have some time to jump on

TheHappyWaffle

Learned-to-sprint endo
I’m so exited to warp somewhere with a cap and then deploy a massive fleet of miners. It would also be so cool to see a military cap warp into the atmosphere of a moon then deploy hundreds of fighters to capture a moon base.

Thk

Learned-to-sprint endo
The long journey time in the mockup concerns me greatly, as that sounds like a long period of time where the player just kinda can't DO anything meaningful, would much rather the two numbers were reversed, relatively short journey time long charge time, cause my understanding is we can go about doing things while it charges so long as we are back by the time it starts the journey. (post 8 of asking for full (or just more) precision on the designer translation tool and rotation tool number readout and input boxes. Relative nudge would also be huge and a tolerable alternative)

When I read these I usually look at the newest stuff and the oldest stuff being worked on. In the case of the oldest, Inventory V2 has been in the works for 45 weeks. Just curious how that is coming along with a bit more explanation than just "programming"?

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Thanks for the update FB! Particularly interesting is how the siege mechanics seem to work (based on the screenshot) seems very structured ... similar to EVE in that you need to wait for a specific window to attack a structure except in Starbase's case, the attackers are the one that define that window which creates an interesting dynamic. Because the defender won't really know 100% when their structure will be vulnerable, instead they can assume it is always vulnerable, and should always have assets on standby to defend it. Should be interesting to see in action on the PTU! Hopefully I'll have some time to jump on
The siege time works in two parts: the defenders get to choose time slots which suit them (like certain days and certain timeframes during those days), and attacker gets to choose the exact siege start time from within those time slots, with the minimum charge time taken into account. The minimum charge time gives both parties time to prepare for the attack.

The long journey time in the mockup concerns me greatly, as that sounds like a long period of time where the player just kinda can't DO anything meaningful, would much rather the two numbers were reversed, relatively short journey time long charge time, cause my understanding is we can go about doing things while it charges so long as we are back by the time it starts the journey.
The mockup actually has just random numbers, the actual numbers are as you suggested: long charge time and relatively short travel time. In sieges, there's always minimum charge time, which leads to travel time to be often only like 5-15 minutes. Of course attackers might want their crew to show up a bit before the ship leaves, but even with that the wait time for action to start should be always bearable.

Last edited:

fr4me01

Active endo
How are current blueprints purchased from the Starbase Ship Shop website/discord channel going to be merged into the up coming deed system with blueprint chips? Will buyers of the blueprints be safe purchasing these or on the change over could we lose access to these since we are not the "original creators" of the blueprints?

Judging from those screenshots of the missiles/tube we're getting replacements across the board? So I guess future modular missiles will be built around this improved tech? The pods look clean. Just dont forget about modular missiles please!

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
I hope power is included with apartment rent ;)
would give them a reason to rent over having a station (tapping into the city power grid over running your own generators)

The siege time works in two parts: the defenders get to choose time slots which suit them (like certain days and certain timeframes during those days), and attacker gets to choose the exact siege start time from within those time slots, with the minimum charge time taken into account. The minimum charge time gives both parties time to prepare for the attack.
Oh really? That's kind of cool. So the defenders still have some choice as to when they'll allow attacks to happen. Rather than say some people in a different timezone just attacking when everyone's asleep, the defenders can specify a time that they'll be ready to defend .. Interesting. I wonder if there will be any minimum/maximum limits put on the slots that either side can specify, or whether having at least one slot open will be required. Like for example you can't just keep all the siege slots closed so nobody can attack you lol ... but that one's probably obvious

Haha I won't waste your time asking for a complete explanation now, I'm sure all these questions will be covered in future progress notes/dev videos ;) Anyways, looking forward to it! I just wanna see this game flooded with players again haha it's been too long.