Starbase Progress Notes: Week 51 (& 52)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 51 (& 52)
Hello everyone! We are approaching the end of the year and it's time for the last progress notes of 2019. On this current and following week, many of our developers will be on their much deserved holidays, and thus there won't be progress notes to upload next Monday. We will return on 2020, hopefully well rested and ready to work on Starbase once again! I apologize that even these notes are quite a lot shorter than they usually are, but rest assured that we will be back with more content soon. :)

I wish happy holidays to all those who are celebrating, and a wonderful rest of the year 2019 to everyone!

December 16th - 27th

Design

Features
  • VoxelMaterialTypes configured for material cubes: This will fix misbehavior in some situations like bolting
  • Bolt profiles added to all of the refined materials and laid out the materials in such a fashion that the profiles are easily updated if needed later on
Stations
  • Collisions caused by the station asset's pivot point update have been fixed
Spaceships
  • Overlap issue in Kodiak ship map fixed by increasing collision error threshold for asset
  • Pincer: YOLOLs that were controlling generator updated to match current electricity consumption of the cargo beams
  • Pincer: YOLOL and status bar for cargo lock beams. Shows how many beams are connected to the cargo
  • Veles: YOLOLs modified, railgun only rotates and shoots when enabled from the gunner chair
  • Turret armors added to Veles and Centurio Frigate

Code

Gameplay
  • Building Tool autofill feature worked on, current approach is using enlarging sphere to autofill objects
  • Player movement and collision issues inside moving ships fixed
  • A bug producing poor up/down directions in the Flight Control Unit fixed
  • Ore processing fixed not to remove material from processing ore, when processed ore is created for the first time
User interface
  • Company names added to show in the invitation list in "Create and Join a Company"-page
  • "Friend features" worked on: basic friend list rendering added, context menus added for received and sent invites
Starbase Spaceship Creator
  • SSC repair feature development continues: owned ships can now be flown into SSC terminal areas for SSC editing and fixing
  • SSC repair assist system added: creates an overlapping hologram of the ship's original blueprint, allowing the user to see which parts are damaged or missing

Art

Stations
  • Exterior decorations worked on for small modules
  • Collisions fixed in big showroom, market station main hall, small repair grid slots and shop modules
  • VIS skydeck decorations updated to module map
Weapons
  • Assault rifle textures updated: paintjobs updated for better combinations
  • The projectile and the muzzle flash polished for the Railgun
  • First iteration of 1st person animations made for Sentinel rifle
  • Reload animation (1st person) made for the Bolt Tool

Gallery

Unfortunately, no progress pictures this week. Sorry! :(

Videos

As always, feel free to ask any questions regarding these progress notes!
And if you haven't yet, go add Starbase to your Steam wishlist!

CalenLoki

Master endo
Overlap issue in Kodiak ship map fixed by increasing collision error threshold for asset
Can we know more about collision precision?
Can I fit 144cm object sliding on rails/hinges through 144cm hole, or should I make it 168 instead?

Turret armors added to Veles and Centurio Frigate
The same type as on Lancer, or something different? Can we have pics?

MattheoAR

Active endo
One question though. what exactly does it mean about the building tool autofill? sorry if that's been explained before...

Eviltek2099

Well-known endo
I'm just looking forward to getting my hands on it! Tired of watching others play... wish I knew how to get in on the alpha!!!!

Nolfinkol

Active endo
I'm just looking forward to getting my hands on it! Tired of watching others play... wish I knew how to get in on the alpha!!!!
It's not in alpha yet these are all pre-alpha footage things the devs are just showing off. Next year is when closed alpha begins

AkseliFB

Frozenbyte Developer
Frozenbyte
One question though. what exactly does it mean about the building tool autofill? sorry if that's been explained before...
Holding down mouse button with the building tool equipped will slowly auto fill missing voxels in an object you are pointing at, even if you are not "painting" the areas which are missing voxels. This will ensure that you'll eventually get the object built/fixed even if you can not find the exact spot that needs to be filled.