Starting job/advanced tutorial: Ship assembly hall.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Basic idea:
Allow players to build ships for other players, with a system middle-man who assure both sides safe profit.

How to:
Player A (customer) want's his ship built for him, but don't want to pay hefty price for automatic printing. So he provide station with blueprint, money for parts and 25-75% of automatic printing price.
The ship enters "available for assembly" list.

Player B (worker) want's to earn his first money. He browse through the AfA list and pick which ship he wants to assembly.
He choose it based on how easy to assembly it looks, how cool/advanced it is, who ordered it, who designed it and how much it's paid (25-75% of printing price)
Then he enters assembly hall, where he has blueprint to fill, all the necessary tools and parts.
He get paid based on % of work he's done, but exponentially, rather than linearly. So making 50% pays only 25% credits. That's to discourage skipping parts.
It should be paid way more (2x?) than mining hall, as it's much more complex.
Worker can quit job at any time. If the ship isn't finished, it gets back on the AfA list.
Worker name is added to the transponder history, if he built big enough part of it.

Customer can at any time order station to print missing parts.

Profit:
Customer saves money and possibly time (if automatic printing is slow).
Possibly create social relations with worker.

Worker gets money, learns ship design tricks and good practices, learns manual assembling.
He also get his name around, written into transponder.

Ship designer gets more people to see his ship, possibly increasing blueprint sells.

Ship manufacturing companies can easier find skilled workers.

Why it's better than just letting player companies handle that:
A lot of players, mostly newbies, avoid direct social interactions. Here they interact indirectly, through safe in-built system.
Protects customer by making sure the blueprint got assembled without any flaws.
Allows worker to make mistakes without being punished too much.
It creates buffer option, until fully player-driven economy really kicks in.

Why player assembly companies will be still viable:
Ship assembly halls are available only on dev stations.
They are limited to use station parts, which are more expensive than producing own parts.
They don't allow partial automation.
Cost is increased by station tax.
Blueprint becomes freely available for inspection. Not possible to copy it or look at yolol chips, but construction details are exposed to the worker.

What do ye think?

Feel like this reduces the value of player inginuity and work...
Also what stops someone taking the job and then... just not doing it?
Companies would have a reputaion to uphold but griefers could just take everything from a job board...?

Kenetor

Master endo
first major issue with this would be the building player would get build knowledge of the blueprint, could just record their game to be able to reproduce and reverse engineer a ship.
I think this would put alot of people off using this as a service.

AlexiyOne

Well-known endo
first major issue with this would be the building player would get build knowledge of the blueprint, could just record their game to be able to reproduce and reverse engineer a ship.
Companies would have a reputaion to uphold but griefers could just take everything from a job board...?
I agree with both this system has a lot of drawbacks

CalenLoki

Master endo
It does reduce a bit of ingenuity, can't disagree.
But so does built-in market and faction system. (a bit of hyperbola, I know)
It's matter of deciding if it gives enough quality of life and user-friendliness to be worth it despite that.

If you take job and not do it, your character is stuck in the work hall. Quite large sacrifice for simply delaying someone's ship construction.
Once you leave the hall, disconnect or choose different ship to build, the ship goes back to the AfA list.
Also I though about connecting it with in-game blacklist/whitelist system (which is already planned). So you can mark ship as "only for whitelisted" or "for everyone except blacklisted".
And if you could see who's working on your ship, for how long and how much he have done, you could blacklist him.

That's valid concern.
But a lot of blueprints won't contain any real secrets. Either because they are very simple or because they are very popular and everyone has them available for dissecting anyway.
I.e. building Spathas for Empire or Knights for Kingdom, producing standard containers, vasamas, basic miners, ect.

For more secret ships there is always option to either pay hefty price and print it automatically or hire trusted assembly company.

So I consider it as the important feature. There's limited amount of knowledge you can learn by assembling chairs.

Kenetor

Master endo
That's valid concern.
But a lot of blueprints won't contain any real secrets. Either because they are very simple or because they are very popular and everyone has them available for dissecting anyway.
I.e. building Spathas for Empire or Knights for Kingdom, producing standard containers, vasamas, basic miners, ect.

For more secret ships there is always option to either pay hefty price and print it automatically or hire trusted assembly company.

So I consider it as the important feature. There's limited amount of knowledge you can learn by assembling chairs.
Yeah you can just choose not to use the service i guess, but the way i read it was that it was the behinds the scenes for ships that were station printed, and would choosing not to use it would leave you without a quick build method.
At the end of the day, If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself, i wouldnt trust a random person to build a ship without messing it up.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Yeah, it's optional for the customer. Either:
automatic print (absolutely secret, expensive, long delay/queue) or manual only by whitelisted or manual by anyone not blacklisted.
I'll write it more clear in OP.

The system doesn't allow random person to mess up. They can only add parts that are saved in the blueprint, and whatever they skip can be automatically printed by the customer (when he give up on waiting for someone to do that manually). That's advantage over assembly companies, who don't have any automatic quality control system.