Station Events for EA

Mci

Active endo
I had brought this up to... I want to say Jimi last night but I thought I would put it somewhere it might get more voices to discuss it.

The game Elite: Dangerous sometimes has large scale events where the player base can either help or hinder construction, repairs, or anything else in regards of a station for a profit. Ignoring the profit bit, is there a way we can use this to expand the player base's influence in the Early Access? You know, since we will be unable to construct our own stations to start out with.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
I had brought this up to... I want to say Jimi last night but I thought I would put it somewhere it might get more voices to discuss it.

The game Elite: Dangerous sometimes has large scale events where the player base can either help or hinder construction, repairs, or anything else in regards of a station for a profit. Ignoring the profit bit, is there a way we can use this to expand the player base's influence in the Early Access? You know, since we will be unable to construct our own stations to start out with.
That could be cool, I think we've already got the galactic space expo going.

Mci

Active endo
Ah, there is the galactic space expo. If I recall, you are also on the committee, yes?
This would be a dev-started event, though.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
I like the concept but Elite really did it badly in that scale / sense. I mean in this game things actually get built by the players with their hands where Elite would just sometimes spawn in a new station and such. I mean for what Elite was it sure added some value to it but at the same time it did not really do much.

Mci

Active endo
While elite might have done it wrong, for things that players cannot build yet but will inevitably have a need for, I think a similar method could work very well.

Variabug

Well-known endo
I think events in terms of stations isn't something that would work as we already build and destroy player-made starbases.

Mci

Active endo
See, the problem is the game won't START with the ability to make stations and Mega stations. This would just be a way to test the event system until we get the ability to make our own.

Variabug

Well-known endo
See, the problem is the game won't START with the ability to make stations and Mega stations. This would just be a way to test the event system until we get the ability to make our own.
But it will come quickly after it. They've already showed the basic build features with lots. If they're going to do events it would have to be something else.

Mci

Active endo
But it will come quickly after it. They've already showed the basic build features with lots. If they're going to do events it would have to be something else.
Ah, lots are in mega stations. They don't know how long it's going to take for station construction to come out.

im now confused...
you said there would be stations and megastations...
whats the difference? i thought we only have megastations?

Morrgard

Master endo
Could someone explain this to me from the perspective of someone who did not play elite dangerous at all? Fill in some blanks and details? I'm not following fully.

Mci

Active endo
Could someone explain this to me from the perspective of someone who did not play elite dangerous at all? Fill in some blanks and details? I'm not following fully.
There are events on a bi-weekly basis about where if you bring things to a location and sell them, you A) get max possible pricing and B) help build up the goal. At the end, which is either X amount of time or the max # of possible resources, it ends. Players will interdict anyone trying to do it and blow them up if they do not like what's going on.
im now confused...
you said there would be stations and megastations...
whats the difference? i thought we only have megastations?
One is much larger than the other. You can have much smaller stations later down the line, but a station station likely does not have rentable plots and is probably only there for one person. As stations do not come until later, it is not too terribly important to discuss them right now.

Morrgard

Master endo
There are events on a bi-weekly basis about where if you bring things to a location and sell them, you A) get max possible pricing and B) help build up the goal. At the end, which is either X amount of time or the max # of possible resources, it ends. Players will interdict anyone trying to do it and blow them up if they do not like what's going on.
I see.. Well it would add a common goal for people but I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go about it, I'm not sure I have any alternatives to this at this very moment, but I will certainly get back to this if I think about any alternatives.

Mci

Active endo
Was simply a suggestion on a way to use a common goal mechanism. I'm sure there are other ways in the future we could use it.

Jetthetank

Veteran endo
I think Mega Station races would be cool event idea.
would spark the interest for some speed pod, and race ship designers and companies.
maybe integrating a course into a mega station overtime as a build option.
using sensor beacons on ships to confirm racers passing certain checkpoints.
etc....

Jetthetank

Veteran endo
Especially with space drag an element, would require some rigourous design aspects, maybe requiring certain aspects of design requirements.

Mci

Active endo
I think Mega Station races would be cool event idea.
would spark the interest for some speed pod, and race ship designers and companies.
maybe integrating a course into a mega station overtime as a build option.
using sensor beacons on ships to confirm racers passing certain checkpoints.
etc....
It would certainly work well in a mega station, especially since wiping out in a megastation would likely not cause damage to the station itself. It would require several plots to work properly, though...

CalenLoki

Master endo
And some special case of removing collision damage protection from racers.
We all want to see them blow up if they don't slow down before that tight turn...