The Primary Goal Before EA Should Be Completing the Gameplay Loop

Atreties

Veteran endo
As more and more testers get further into the game, and the new player experiences, ship designer, and Quality Of Life feedback points are being given, I think it's important to keep the following in mind:

A thousand small issues can be overlooked if the core gameplay loop is complete, solid, and shows promise.

And right now, the gamplay loop is very incomplete.
  • Players (and currently stations) are unable to refine resources in any way
  • Players are unable to turn refined resources directly into ship parts, tools, and weapons
  • Players are unable to build and run their own stations
Without these pieces of the gameplay loop, Starbase is not a game, not really. What we have right now is a tech demo of a starter safezone. The world is vast and massive, but without the ability to create fuel or propellant on our own, over 90% of it might as well not even exist.

Now imagine the current state of Closed Alpha, including all its bugs and issues, but with those 3 above features included. The game world and its possibilities suddenly become endless. Groups can start coming together to work on some massive project together. Huge fleets can start to form. Natural PvP testing can begin. Big yolol defense grid projects can be designed. Territories can be claimed. Expeditions to the moons can be planned and maybe even executed. Those 3 features really do turn this into a game.

Right now, everyone has an unbreakable tether to the starter station. We make tiny trips out to the very fringes of the belt, and return. The only things we can really do from here are test out all of the premade ships, design ships of our own, and try to break things, reporting bugs. Obviously, for the beginning days of a closed alpha, there is nothing at all wrong with this. But after a few more days, the impact of the lack of the above 3 features will start to show itself more and more. Even though we are all closed alpha testers, the sentiment of "What's the point from here?" will grow until interest and activity (and thus testing) wanes. Those of us die-hards will stick around and test until our eyes fall out, but most won't.

The potential of Starbase is mind-boggling. Thinking about the kinds of things we'll be able to do literally has kept me up some over the last couple nights. The ship designer is burned into my eyelids as I fall asleep. Those 3 features are the beginnings of truly unlocking that potential.

Vexus

Master endo
I agree completely. The game is absolutely amazing, off the chart insanely awesome and mind-blowing. The tech and the attention to detail is god-like. Everything is done with such purpose and care and love. Most companies would have released this already as an Early Access game on Steam to scrape dollars off of peoples' wallets. You guys are quadruple-A in quality.

For the CA right now, all there is left to do is design new ships. Which is what I believe you all want us to do - to make more than just one or two good ships. I can kind of tell this is the goal of the CA, to make sure the ship options are large and robust, where there's not one best ship for mining, but 2-5 competing models, for example. Different fighters and so on, where the choice of ships is more complete. So this is what we will do. I will begin designing ships and learning that system and putting them together and testing, so that there are more options when more people flood in.

In order for us to begin taking on the game as a whole, we do need those pieces Atreties mentioned. The able to self-sustain - to some degree - in the game world. I feel some kind of tether to the stations would be good. Fuel maybe, refining fuel 'taking so much power' that you require the Solar Panel arrays from a station to produce enough energy to refine fuel. This would mean people would only be able to go so far - or pack a lot of fuel - before moving somewhere to build a station. Or a gas station might pop up on the edge of the safe zone, and so on. Some tether to stations is healthy, so at the very least, someone going far away would need to build their own station to refine their fuel, making their potential life out in the wild immediately more risky, causing people to team up and not go it all alone.

Over all I'm extremely excited and the detail, the sounds, the artwork, the tech, how everything interacts, is done at a level I've never seen before in any game. You all are amazing and I cannot wait to see what is next.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Yes, you guys are correct, and in fact all of those features are pretty far in development already, and will enter alpha well before early access.

In addition to those three also safe zone mechanics, respawn mechanics, fast travel mechanics and various others are considered by us to be part of the must-have core gameplay loop which must be completed well before early access.

I'm glad your list wasn't longer, we still can pull this off ;)

Atreties

Veteran endo
Yes, you guys are correct, and in fact all of those features are pretty far in development already, and will enter alpha well before early access.

In addition to those three also safe zone mechanics, respawn mechanics, fast travel mechanics and various others are considered by us to be part of the must-have core gameplay loop which must be completed well before early access.

I'm glad your list wasn't longer, we still can pull this off ;)
Good to know all these are not only on your radar, but that you understand the importance to get them in before Early Access.