Thoughts about PeerToPeer (P2P)

Norway174

Active endo
Everything persists when the player goes offline, though it will stop being simulated; that is, ship flight, YOLOL, etcetera, all stops when the host of those objects disconnects, but the objects themselves remain.
This is interesting. And something I was worried about in my initial OP.

So if the client is responsible for simulating your own ship. Then what's to stop someone from writing a C# library to execute it as YOLOL code? And make it appear as YOLOL code on the server to bypass the anti-cheat?

Last edited:

Verbatos

Veteran endo
So if the client is responsible for simulating your own ship. Then what's to stop someone from writing a C# library to execute it as YOLOL code? And make it appear as YOLOL code on the server to bypass the anti-cheat?
What do you mean?
I don't think you understand how YOLOL works.

Norway174

Active endo
What do you mean?
I don't think you understand how YOLOL works.
You write YOLOL in-game code to execute various functions and commands included in the game. All of which affects the simulation of your ship. To change the behaviour.

But if those commands aren't sent to the server for verification. Only the simulation of your ship. Then you could use cheats to alter those commands. And change the simulation of your ship for your own benefit.

And as such, allows to execute third party code or have things change based on external factors not usually available in native YOLOL.

Now, this isn't a problem with YOLOL itself. It's a problem with trusting the client not to alter the simulation of their ships.

Cavilier210

Master endo
I'm sure there's a regular check on what the client is doing. Its just not as often as other MMO's is my guess.

You write YOLOL in-game code to execute various functions and commands included in the game. All of which affects the simulation of your ship. To change the behaviour.

But if those commands aren't sent to the server for verification. Only the simulation of your ship. Then you could use cheats to alter those commands. And change the simulation of your ship for your own benefit.

And as such, allows to execute third party code or have things change based on external factors not usually available in native YOLOL.

Now, this isn't a problem with YOLOL itself. It's a problem with trusting the client not to alter the simulation of their ships.
so like an issue to inject some sort of arbitrary code execution through YOLOL? I get the client side exploits thing games can have issues with. But what happens when the server check clashes with the client?

Norway174

Active endo
But what happens when the server check clashes with the client?
But how will it check tho?
Will it just ask, "hey client. What's your YOLOL code?", then the client could return a fabricated, but valid YOLOL code.

The server could try and run the same simulations as your client. And see if they match up.

But that's not a guaranteed way to find cheaters either, because of latency lag. And the client may even simulate something slightly different than what another client would. Or a server for that matter.

And that point, you're probably just better off simulating everything on the server instead.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Best not to speculate or even talk about how they prevent and deal with cheating. It's more that we should not encourage yet we should not also help script kiddies out.

It's normally a 0 tolerance policy in most games as well.