To all engineers: What will YOU try to achieve in StarBase?

I want create small versatile ship inspired by other players ships. All ships, what I saw, are amazing and I want extract best parts of them and use them on my ship. Like " The best of Starbase ships" in one :)

To make an AI rebelion:
1)Auto-Shipyard;
2)Auto-miners;
3)Auto-engineers to build more Auto-shipyards;
4)Combat drones (up to capital grade size);
4)Watch as AI spreads in space with geometric progression.

five

Master endo
To make an AI rebelion:
1)Auto-Shipyard;
2)Auto-miners;
Have fun programming an AI with YOLOL, because I don't think it's possible with all of YOLOLs limitations. We'll be watching your progress with great interest.

To make an AI rebelion:
1)Auto-Shipyard;
2)Auto-miners;
I may want to join you in this endeavor of yours AI warships can be massed produced so tey make good expendable fleets

Last edited:
I may want you in this endeavor of yours AI warships can be massed produced so tey make good expendable fleets
That's what makes them so dangerous!

I want to create a company engineering high end/expensive ships for combat, mining, and exploration. I would like to make sort of a name for myself in the universe as a good engineer. Seeing ships I designed being used by large factions and stuff would be awesome!

I want to create a company engineering high end/expensive ships for combat, mining, and exploration. I would like to make sort of a name for myself in the universe as a good engineer. Seeing ships I designed being used by large factions and stuff would be awesome!
Well, I have a name for a company Astroium A.I. Engineering.

five

Master endo

From all the comments I got on this I can already see that there is probably going to be a over saturation of space craft able to be chosen. So many people aim to make the best ships.
I am not going to change my goals but here is a strategy for advertisement: Make YOUR ships be known for something by building a faction that exclusively uses your ships. I already have a faction like this in mind with mercenaries who would then use my ships for combat. If my ships are good enough people gonna know them if they see them. And what is the best way to fight fire? Thats right fire so people will buy your ships for their purposes

From all the comments I got on this I can already see that there is probably going to be a over saturation of space craft able to be chosen. So many people aim to make the best ships.
I am not going to change my goals but here is a strategy for advertisement: Make YOUR ships be known for something by building a faction that exclusively uses your ships. I already have a faction like this in mind with mercenaries who would then use my ships for combat. If my ships are good enough people gonna know them if they see them. And what is the best way to fight fire? Thats right fire so people will buy your ships for their purposes
I agree to a point. Having many people competing to build the best ships is good for competition, so it's not really that bad of a thing. Plus the actual manufacturing of the ships is another whole area people don't really think about I think. The design is fun, and building one good ship may be relatively easy, but building hundreds of them is a whole other challenge. Nesting yourself into a faction, using their resources, and making them proprietary ships is a good idea. I just replied on my intro thread saying the same thing haha.

Also, another point I'd like to mention. Games like space engineers attract people who inherently like to make things. If you want to play the game, you have to build stuff. Starbase is being designed to allow players who have no creative talent or interests to still play the game the intended way by purchasing ships from other players. For now, I think the game has attracted the people it has because of it's awesome building mechanics and destruction, so naturally most people here are going to want to make ships.

Later on I see that population being smaller and the majority of new players will be interested in just playing the game when they see the battles, diplomacy/politics, mining, and so many other things that require a lot of people to showcase.

five

Master endo
I agree to a point. Having many people competing to build the best ships is good for competition, so it's not really that bad of a thing. Plus the actual manufacturing of the ships is another whole area people don't really think about I think. The design is fun, and building one good ship may be relatively easy, but building hundreds of them is a whole other challenge. Nesting yourself into a faction, using their resources, and making them proprietary ships is a good idea. I just replied on my intro thread saying the same thing haha.

Also, another point I'd like to mention. Games like space engineers attract people who inherently like to make things. If you want to play the game, you have to build stuff. Starbase is being designed to allow players who have no creative talent or interests to still play the game the intended way by purchasing ships from other players. For now, I think the game has attracted the people it has because of it's awesome building mechanics and destruction, so naturally most people here are going to want to make ships.

Later on I see that population being smaller and the majority of new players will be interested in just playing the game when they see the battles, diplomacy/politics, mining, and so many other things that require a lot of people to showcase.
Your right but if so many people want to build their OWN ships, then how many new players NOT INTERESTED in engineering does it take, to make so that for example I sell my ships to atleast 10 other players, that aren't in my faction.

Your right but if so many people want to build their OWN ships, then how many new players NOT INTERESTED in engineering does it take, to make so that for example I sell my ships to atleast 10 other players, that aren't in my faction.
I believe a lot of factions are interested in dominance, getting rich, trading, stuff like EVE online. They would need to purchase ships to save time and replenish their fleets after battle.

I think plenty of players will want to build their own ship, including myself. I believe I will still buy other ships for things I need to do, like mining. I don't think once the game is out and there's plenty of other things to do I would spend so much time developing a mining ship when there are already good ones and I just want to start raising capital.

Also, players will not want to go through the process of actually building many ships. It will take time, and buying one will be faster. Smart players will realize that time spent on developing and constructing a mining ship is time wasted on actually mining and making money. You'd pay more up front but save a lot more soon after if you just bought one.

You wouldn't find someone interested in WoW playing space engineers. Completely different game. I think once this game provides people with the option to just buy good ships and have so much else to do, you'll have vastly more people just playing the game to buy ships.

Also, building good (and good looking) ships isn't the easiest thing. A lot of players may give up or just make non-competitive designs. Even if it's for themselves, they may have to settle for buying a ship just to compete with other players.

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
I guess the ship market would be vast but at the same time some ship could provide some functionality or decoration (like a car/forklift) but it's honestly up to the playerbase. SOmeone could make a small lightweight cheap ship and someone would buy it, and they get money. That player could've gotten just that much they needed to financially start themselves off.

Though it's really up to how each player feels at the time, and we don't know entirely until early access.

five

Master endo
I believe a lot of factions are interested in dominance, getting rich, trading, stuff like EVE online. They would need to purchase ships to save time and replenish their fleets after battle.

I think plenty of players will want to build their own ship, including myself. I believe I will still buy other ships for things I need to do, like mining. I don't think once the game is out and there's plenty of other things to do I would spend so much time developing a mining ship when there are already good ones and I just want to start raising capital.

Also, players will not want to go through the process of actually building many ships. It will take time, and buying one will be faster. Smart players will realize that time spent on developing and constructing a mining ship is time wasted on actually mining and making money. You'd pay more up front but save a lot more soon after if you just bought one.

You wouldn't find someone interested in WoW playing space engineers. Completely different game. I think once this game provides people with the option to just buy good ships and have so much else to do, you'll have vastly more people just playing the game to buy ships.

Also, building good (and good looking) ships isn't the easiest thing. A lot of players may give up or just make non-competitive designs. Even if it's for themselves, they may have to settle for buying a ship just to compete with other players.
I already see myself signing a contract with a large military faction and or selling lone wolfs my fighter designs.

Have fun programming an AI with YOLOL, because I don't think it's possible with all of YOLOLs limitations. We'll be watching your progress with great interest.
What i got from forums sources, that YOLOL is super slow.
It depends what tools i have:
- do i have autoturrets to mount on fighter size ship? ( it matter not about it combat efectivenes, it needs to swarm anyway)
- do i have sensor for ships?
- do i have interlal IFF system?
- do i have support for 1 line "move to coordinates(or something) command?"
- do i have trigonometric functions support?
- do i have build in matrix calculus and derivative support? (probably not, but i can dream)

If ansver is yes, it is possible to construct at least working drone fighter.