To the people that got CA and those that haven't

five

Master endo
wow such original thread right here. Basically... I wanna know if u have CA what were your expectations before u got to play the game and how much of it has been fullfilled, if u dont have CA, what are your expectations for the game right now?

I want peer to peer transactions implemented before release I think... other wise i might not be interested in paying for it right away.

I want to credit and dime my way across the galaxy as a fuel car racer. :X

XenoCow

Master endo
I'm in closed alpha.

I expected:
  • To be able to patch up and build ships with free-form tools. ✅
  • To be able to buy a junk ship for cheap and fix it up. ❎
  • A vast universe to explore. ✅
  • Frequent player interactions in-game. ❎
  • An amazing damage model. ✅
For the ❎ ones. I think both of these will be coming with time and as more players join the game. I have already begun to see more and more
active players as more people are invited.

There are plenty of more things I want from the game, but not much that I expect from the alpha. Also, there are plenty of things that I didn't expect but are in the game already like player organized navigation systems, tons of ship shops run by the developers (a good compromise for now since players cannon host their own), and the SSC which I didn't think would be in the alpha.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I think this game is looking pretty good right now, 100% gonna buy it in full when it releases and if I have a good enough pc.
The most fun part about the game for me has been interacting with other players. While it's been hard to find lots of people due to the limited amount of invites sent so far, I think that when this game fully releases it will be really fun to just walk through crowds of people on stations and feel like you're part of something bigger.

I want peer to peer transactions implemented before release I think... other wise i might not be interested in paying for it right away.

I want to credit and dime my way across the galaxy as a fuel car racer. :X
Do you mean item and credit trading? Because that is already in the game.

At the beginning I wanted the developers to do is not make big mistakes in closed alpha that would cause problems in later stages of the game, it's better to take it easy instead of putting all the features in without making sure it fits the game. After having played for a while I do sometimes see that developers do announce things and right after it the community responds.

I am pretty happy with the current state of the game but I don't think that there will be a big difference between CA and EA except for player count and more pirates trying to just kill for the fun of it.

I think that as a community we have to keep giving feedback about features, bugs and balancing to the devs.
Most of the community and myself is still existed about the game even if after all this time, someone may not have gotten in. The energy of the community is what keeps the game alive and my expectations about the game in terms of community were right.

shado20

Veteran endo
my expectations of this game is to stop blue balling and open access this game! the look of the game has not changed much from 9 months ago and there working on things like decals and asteroid fog... those item are cosmetic and show that early access is more than ready! the radar location system is player made, the content of this game is player driven. the players already in like their free ride!

my expectations of this game is to stop blue balling and open access this game! the look of the game has not changed much from 9 months ago and there working on things like decals and asteroid fog... those item are cosmetic and show that early access is more than ready! the radar location system is player made, the content of this game is player driven. the players already in like their free ride!
Its not ready. I'm in CA, and this opinion is shared by many, if not most CA testers. There are basic MMO mechanics still missing. This is an MMO, not a ship building arena game. Its need tools for dealing with factions, groups, ships, stations, and those just barely exist, if they exist at all.

We also don't have sensor mechanics, one of the plasma thrusters fuels is missing, and the weapons are in the midst of a redesign.

shado20

Veteran endo
this game is getting a reputation of a game that dose not know what they are doing. we are now starting week 3 month 3 of Q1 and they still haven't officially announced a delay. and the way you talk the delay needs to be another year cause the game is not finished but you don't seem to understand what EA is(or your enjoying the free ride game!)(or being a MMO, your getting a missive power advantage over everyone else the longer CA go's on!). from the outside looking in it is more than redy for EA, even some players I have talked to in CA say its ready and or NEEDS a missive influx of new players.

Last edited:

Kodey

Veteran endo
I expected ship design, and I got 1000 hours of ship design! For me it’s relaxing and I’ve found my own handful of bugs, however, the game needs to be delayed. I believe we’re going to get an official delay announcement! And based off the progress we’ve seen? I’d say we need another year for the game to develop. I think people don’t like the idea of CA because they don’t understand what the CA is and think that we’ve been given an actual game, or even worse, think that we have a power advantage. The only power advantage we have is people giving us an imaginary one.

No matter how you look at the game, you can see that we need a delay and everyone in the CA agrees. Currently, any time we get a new wave only one or two people end up staying because of the terrible player experience - same goes with all players, from long to new players. Your purpose as a CA is to find bugs and help squash them, and most people don’t understand this.

shado20

Veteran endo
"everyone in the CA agrees. "
no not everyone agrees, there are plenty of others saying it is ready, i have played a lot of EA games over many years and this game has way more in it now than many games have at EA!

Well I don't have access now, I've found out about this game few hours ago (I've always thought it's a low-cost indie game, looking at it's logo... but can you blame me?). Now for paid EA, at the very least I expect basic functionality of all important features of the game without major game-breaking flaws, from my understanding of Starbase so far, one should already be able to:
  • gather resources
  • craft, sell and buy items
  • design and build his own ship
  • build a station
  • sell or buy a ship
  • be involved in PVP both in a ship and on foot
I expect that there will be features, items or mechanics missing, there are gonna be balance issues and reworks, but those core features should work just fine (PVP without lags etc.), I also expect there will or could be wipe, but I definitely want to know such thing before I buy the game (because some games do wipe before release and some games use EA as a soft launch).
I am also affraid that the is not going to be PVE at all (if I'm not mistaken), because it's usually an important part of the game and it makes a world (or a universe) a bit more alive even if it was limited to simple missions etc. like in EVE online - it makes people to travel and to explore and it also makes opportunities for PVP players to intercept players on missions. So my point is that they should explain a bit more what is the gameplay, what is most fun etc., there are nice videos with lots of action in it on steam page, lists of features, but why would I want to risk my ship in a PVP fight when I can build it in a safe zone? Simply put same problems as I see in DU now (I play DU since alpha and I reckon many ppl here are also familiar with it)... you can already build almost anything you want, you can build a massive ships or a station, hoard money and materials, make fully automated factories with your own UI, but that's it, once people get bored with bulding and tinkering, they leave the game. Ofc you can "explore" and move to another planet or a moon, but that's just the same base/ship building all over again without any real purpose.

"everyone in the CA agrees. "
no not everyone agrees, there are plenty of others saying it is ready, i have played a lot of EA games over many years and this game has way more in it now than many games have at EA!
Who? Name names. The only people I have ever seen say this game is ready for EA are the people who aren't in CA and have no clue what is going on.

The devs have suffered some feature creep, but its also not where they wanted it to be either. All you can do now is make fighters, and mine. That's pretty much the only things ready. Factories? Nope. Station utility? Not really. Tracking? Nope, nothing in the game allows that currently. There's a long way to go.

Also, they aren't obligated to make announcements on release schedules. It will be ready when its ready. No one has yet paid anything to play it, so no one has any bearing on making demands of any sort. CA testers have invested hundreds to thousands of hours of their personal time into it however.

As I mentioned in another posting, on Discord there are plenty hour-long streams of game play available (construction, mining, exploring, pvp, etc), made by alpha testers.
In my opinion, there's sufficient content to go with - but that is a decision everyone must make for himself.

Up to now EA is still declared accessible by Q1 2021, that means at latest end of this month. I really hope that stays valid.

Last edited:

shado20

Veteran endo
CA testers have invested hundreds to thousands of hours of their personal time into it however.
so, I have invested hundreds of hours in watching all the videos and hundreds of hours watching streams. I have maxed out my internet usage 3 different months now on looking at and discussing this content. what is in game is sufficient content for and early access.

(I refuse to name my sources of players I talk to, you will attack them and I'm not going to throw them under the buss like that)

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
so, I have invested hundreds of hours in watching all the videos and hundreds of hours watching streams. I have maxed out my internet usage 3 different months now on looking at and discussing this content. what is in game is sufficient content for and early access.
what is in this game is not-user-friendly ship building and mind-numbingly boring mining. that is it. combat is really unenjoyable due to many missing features and bugs and bad mechanics/performance. station building is literally just afking for 20 hours, only the station owner can build a station, and you can only build lots and landing pads (lots can't even be used). lots are completely useless right now. infantry combat is a laggy mess (due to internet and fps stuff), with seperate instances when a lot of players are doing combat. factories don't exist. there aren't even features made for trading ships/BPs!
there are many more reasons this game shouldn't be released right now.

Curious... watching streams on Discord tells a different story. Yes, ship building may be a bit complicated at the moment, still - you're able to construct ships! It is a complex system, which I absolutely appreciate.

By the way, following recently the chat on Discord, testers compared their online time in SB - ranging from several hundred to a few thousand hours of game time. Some regretted "spending too much time ingame" (sounds like addiction to me). Not one did mention lack of doing stuff or getting bored - quite the opposite.

In conclusion: SB is ready for Early Access.

Last edited:

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Curious... watching streams on Discord tells a different story. Yes, ship building may be a bit complicated at the moment, still - you're able to construct ships! It is a complex system, which I absolutely appreciate.

By the way, following recently the chat on Discord, testers compared their online time in SB - ranging from several hundred to a few thousand hours of game time. Some regretted "spending too much time ingame" (sounds like addiction to me). Not one did mention lack of doing stuff or getting bored - quite the opposite.

In conclusion: SB is ready for Early Access.
i have 600 hours in starbase, around 500 in the past 6 weeks. 99% of that is spent in ship building.
in other games, i enjoy combat, i enjoy grinding resources, i enjoy walking around, i enjoy making factories, etc etc. In starbase, building ships/programming yolol is the only thing i actually enjoy. ask all those people with hundreds to a few thousands hours where that time is spent, and if they believe the game is ready for EA. value their opinions, they have experience.

ask all those people with hundreds to a few thousands hours where that time is spent, and if they believe the game is ready for EA.
Well, I can only refer again on the dozens of hour-long streams available on Discord... may I recommend watching some of them, possibly giving you some incentives for your gaming enjoyment.
In the end it doesn't really matter what you're doing, as long as it does satisfy you. And at the looks of it that happens - more then 80 hours on average per week is quite impressive... seems like real-life is overrated ;)

Last edited:
The alpha channels tell quite a different story. Listening to youtubers who have a vested interest in the games release so they can get content more easily is not the people you should be listening to.