UI Ship design idea: Digital cockpit interface

StarStoks

Active endo
I’ve been combing through Starbase videos on youtube from the devs and players. While watching a dogfight, This had me thinking, would it be possible to design a ship that let’s you know when you have successfully landed a hit on another ship. Essentially a hit marker or vice versa to use the YOLOL chips and sensors to detect when a module has been destroyed. My next thought from there was how would that information be displayed.

So now on the train of thinking about UI design, We can already pop out YOLOL chips and move them around in a 3d space, so why not create a similar like YOLOL like chip that creates a transparent overlay that can be attached to the glass of your cock pit and show info about your ship. Could even be used to make a digital iron sights, which would make a more sleek looking design for ships.

It would be near to impossible to build out that system in Yolol, however, I do agree that we realllllly need a way to see if hits are actually landing, or if netsync is throwing that off.

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is quite noticeable splash when you hit someone, and sound when you get hit. But yolol can't hear any of that.

There is a way to check if module has been destroyed.
If you try to access it's device field when it's cut off, it'll skip the rest of the line.
I.e.
Code:
:Thruster1Status=0 x=:Thruster1CurrentThrust :Thruster1Status=1
:Thruster2Status=0 x=:Thruster2CurrentThrust :Thruster2Status=1
:Thruster3Status=0 x=:Thruster3CurrentThrust :Thruster3Status=1
:Thruster4Status=0 x=:Thruster4CurrentThrust :Thruster4Status=1
:Thruster5Status=0 x=:Thruster5CurrentThrust :Thruster5Status=1 goto1
But you need 1 line for each device you want to monitor.

Transparent displays have been suggested and afaik confirmed already.
"Digital" iron sights can be also made by simply using decals on the glass (also coming soon).

StarStoks

Active endo
It would be near to impossible to build out that system in Yolol, however, I do agree that we realllllly need a way to see if hits are actually landing, or if netsync is throwing that off.
Yeah I know that's a definitely a jump in the capabilities for YOLOL lol. 😅 Though I do hope for the reasons you mention they can figure out a light hit marker system. Looking at Calen Loki's comment though, if there is enough visual feedback and audio to go with than that's good enough for me.

Maybe if Space Battles get bigger when big crew battles happen a light hit marker system could work well in letting a large crew know they have snipped someone at rage with a rail gun. But again if the visual is there and you can see damage at a distance it may not be needed.

Since you mentioned it, do you miss shots due to desyncs a lot when you're playing? Is there ever lag where you see the ship take physical damage but then in the next second it looks like it hasn't taken any damage?

CalenLoki

Master endo
Lag happens, but last two events were surprisingly smooth for me. Only people jumping around were those with really bad connection.

Those were ~50 people ffa battles, with over 500 wrecked ships on the battlefield.

And Im playing on shitty mobile data connection via my phone tethering hotspot.

I miss most shoots because of keyboard-only controls. But mouse and joystick support is coming.

StarStoks

Active endo
There is quite noticeable splash when you hit someone, and sound when you get hit. But yolol can't hear any of that.

There is a way to check if module has been destroyed.
If you try to access it's device field when it's cut off, it'll skip the rest of the line.
I.e.
Code:
:Thruster1Status=0 x=:Thruster1CurrentThrust :Thruster1Status=1
:Thruster2Status=0 x=:Thruster2CurrentThrust :Thruster2Status=1
:Thruster3Status=0 x=:Thruster3CurrentThrust :Thruster3Status=1
:Thruster4Status=0 x=:Thruster4CurrentThrust :Thruster4Status=1
:Thruster5Status=0 x=:Thruster5CurrentThrust :Thruster5Status=1 goto1
But you need 1 line for each device you want to monitor.

"Digital" iron sights can be also made by simply using decals on the glass (also coming soon).

So in this case Thruster 5 doesn't work?

Could you make a statement for the panels then such as..

"If thruster is disabled rename display panel to, "Thruster 5 Disabled"" ?

I've heard about the decals! I hope they are as customizable as everything else. Would love to make a unique iron sights and in general would like to have a art designer on team to make decals.

StarStoks

Active endo
Lag happens, but last two events were surprisingly smooth for me. Only people jumping around were those with really bad connection.

Those were ~50 people ffa battles, with over 500 wrecked ships on the battlefield.

And Im playing on shitty mobile data connection via my phone tethering hotspot.

I miss most shoots because of keyboard-only controls. But mouse and joystick support is coming.
That's pretty good then with your connection and gives me hope for solid smooth battles.

I've been wondering about Joystick support. I have hotas flight stick for Elite Dangerous and because ED has always got you locked down in a cock pit I'm always only using the flight stick. Now with ED about to update and have on ground in person combat, I wonder if I'm going to have to somehow awkwardly map controls on my Hotas to be a foot soldier... And I have the same confusion for StarBase. I wonder if it will be easily interchangeable between mouse and keyboard to joy stick and back again? Or if I have to stick with one controller, unless I go into options to change it mid game.

I'm entirely okay with playing on a keyboard and mouse but am just curious as to how both games will handle something like this.

The issue is that that splash/hit you see may not be real. Multiple times I have seen instances where one client thinks a hit lands, however, the other client doesn't think it hit. A hitmaker of sorts (really just a small audio queue or whatever) that plays when the *other* client acknowledges a hit would be nice

Have you seen the videos of guys using range finders, set to a certian length to depict a range finder. ITs really smart looking too

So... was a bit disappointed how screens / displays were all ASCII...
I've been building a lot of huds for players in Dual Universe, sad it's not possible as of now. Would be great to display all kinds of stuff.. ship mass, orientation, headings, fuel, etc....

Venombrew

Master endo
i actually brought this idea up in an earlier topic, marking the windshields in a way to not only give some bit of aiming but to also use the markings in a way to help teach ship combat when firing on enemies.