Visible safe zone boundaries

Johnwarosa

Active endo
Kinda like the bounds of the properly built factory hall or landing pads on the origin stations.

Why is this useful? Even with ability to exit the safe zone in the settings enabled, you might not want to always exit it, for example when taking the new ship out for a test drive, and the "exiting safe zone" in chat is small enough to easily miss. What is harder to miss is a huge red wall telling you "after you fly through me, you are F'd".

Conversely, if you are running from the pirates or just going at turtle speed to avoid getting damaged, seeing SZ boundaries from a distance may be useful for you to either know when you will be safe from the pirates or to turn turtle speed off early if there are no asteroids around and save time.

Vorg

Well-known endo
That little chat popup also seems to have a delay. Because you have to fly back for a bit to get the notice you are back in.

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Going to give a hell no to a visible SZ border, would look off and too much hand holding. The audible/text is already decent enough and you have a setting to prevent accidental crossing over. Then while one THINKS that would always help with safety, it would also be a double edge sword.

While it would help folks see how far they have to go to reach safety visibly...it also gives pirates the exact moment they know when to attack or just how much to allow a ship to go past that visible border. This way they know they'd have the time to destroy the ship.

I've seen moments where ships actually survived due to pirates not being able to exactly know when a ship has crossed the border. Cases where they fired prematurely, closed in prematurely, or took too long to take out the ship as it ran thinking they had more time than they actually did.

Womble

Veteran endo
Even with ability to exit the safe zone in the settings enabled, you might not want to always exit it, for example when taking the new ship out for a test drive,...
Can you not turn the "don't let my ships out the safe zone" setting back on? I haven't looked, but I'd be pretty sure you can. If you "exceptionally" don't want to leave the SZ, just make it so you can't, and re-enable once you're ready to go back out.

Cavilier210

Master endo
Can you not turn the "don't let my ships out the safe zone" setting back on? I haven't looked, but I'd be pretty sure you can. If you "exceptionally" don't want to leave the SZ, just make it so you can't, and re-enable once you're ready to go back out.
Yes

Johnwarosa

Active endo
You can, but it's too easy to forget to do it.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Visible SZ borders are useful at least for player stations, just to avoid stopping to them. So this part at least is what we'll do.

Womble

Veteran endo
You can, but it's too easy to forget to do it.
And then it reminds you when you're about to leave and haven't turned it off.

The Origin safe zones are *big*. As in "massive, huge, enormous". A visible SZ boundary would effectively be a *wall in space*, visually, from quite a long way away. Do. Not. Want.

Edited to add: I have no objection, even think it would be a good idea, for the ":isinsafezone" variable to become or be augmented by ":distancetosafezone", even if that's to the nearest km or 10, so you can have YOLOL read it and give you plenty of notice (or hope, or deadline, depending on your mode of operation at the time :) ). The current safezone "cliff" can certainly seem a trifle sudden. :)