VoIP do we need it?

Commissar Awesome

Learned-to-sprint endo
I had more individual muting in mind, as if people are following VOIP in a reasonable manner you should not need to mute it, but if they don't you must those specific people.

That way you don't miss anything important and you get rid off the nuisance of VOIP at the same time,
Not everyone likes using VOIP with strangers so if it is forced on everyone that would be very obnoxious to me. If VOIP is implemented there absolutely must be an option to disable it, if not i would much rather it not be included at all. Having to constantly mute individuals would be horribly obnoxious as well. No thanks.

Morrgard

Master endo
If it were something easy to implement and manage, and figure out all the conditions for (providing the option to mute 100's of local players, detecting who enters and leaves range), I agree, VoIP is extremely valuable to a game like this. I don't think they've made any work to add it into the game and figure out how it would work, so it's months of development time to get it going, and I don't see it being critical to the EA launch. I'd love to see some kind of VOIP implemented eventually, just unsure how well it would work in an MMO environment. There haven't been many other large scale MMO games with VOIP like this. Remember Starbase will be matching players with potentially 100's of nearby other players. All the "what-ifs" are going to be a monsterous hill to tackle.
As long as they have a local chat at least it should be fine, there would not be a rush to get it in ASAP.

Morrgard

Master endo
Not everyone likes using VOIP with strangers so if it is forced on everyone that would be very obnoxious to me. If VOIP is implemented there absolutely must be an option to disable it, if not i would much rather it not be included at all. Having to constantly mute individuals would be horribly obnoxious as well. No thanks.
Yea I still think the option should exist for sure, I was only mentioning as you had said "what if they demand and you cant hear"

I just worry that people would expect me to respond to their voice chat when i have everyone muted and might just shoot me instead of typing a message. If in game voice is a thing then i hope the game will display which players have it active and which have everyone muted.
I'm too lazy to type much in game so if there's no voice chat I would just shoot you anyway.

Eranok

Active endo
Undecided about Voip. Many european people arent fluent in english, and end up either slightly ostracized from global social, or mainly use Voip for taunts. That said, in a space bar, voip is definitely a social plus for the atmosphere.

Aside for Voip, i personally advocate 2 things :
- Communication between robots has to be vibrant. Some emote based on messages ending with exclamation mark or interrogation points can make a robot city a bit more lively
- Communication, Voip including, should be local. You dont wanna hear/read what the tech guy in the other side of the station says. Except maybe... if he allcaps...

Morrgard

Master endo
Undecided about Voip. Many european people arent fluent in english, and end up either slightly ostracized from global social, or mainly use Voip for taunts. That said, in a space bar, voip is definitely a social plus for the atmosphere.

Aside for Voip, i personally advocate 2 things :
- Communication between robots has to be vibrant. Some emote based on messages ending with exclamation mark or interrogation points can make a robot city a bit more lively
- Communication, Voip including, should be local. You dont wanna hear/read what the tech guy in the other side of the station says. Except maybe... if he allcaps...
It should definitely be local, there is no need for anything on a longer range when it comes to VOIP in an MMO, especially with rooms and such, you talking in one small room it should be kept to that room etc, make sure that VOIP comes with some advantages like holding diplomatic meetings that you want to keep private to those partial to that discussion.

Morrgard

Master endo
I'd love long-range voice radio, though. What about directional radio sets?
I think with the help of communication blocks you could have a sort of radio communication.

Especially between ships I would love to have an antenna that connects with a console that you speak nearby and it transmits that to a selected vessel nearby you're location, like a hail to the enemy ship to see what they're intentions are so that it doesn't need to be hostile and similar things.

Kenetor

Master endo
im on the fence about voip mostly due to having mixed experiences with it, but if your playing with friends you are gonna have discord anyway.

Morrgard

Master endo
im on the fence about voip mostly due to having mixed experiences with it, but if your playing with friends you are gonna have discord anyway.
More about the encounters with countless other players in the universe rather than those you already playing with.

Useful to avoid confrontations if you can press a button to get a message out rather than having to come to a full stop to type a quick message.

i mean, i cant think of any reason why they SHOULDN'T add it. you cant go pirate a ship by just typing "surrender your ship or youre scrap metal" or coordinate your ships crew by just typing commands

Vexus

Master endo
you cant go pirate a ship by just typing "surrender your ship or youre scrap metal" or coordinate your ships crew by just typing commands
That ship will be 1km away or more potentially, so you might have to type anyway. Directional, ship to ship VoIP sounds really good and a controlled environment for the devs, and the other ship would have to open a channel with you, so if they don't, you'd kinda know what to expect.

Morrgard

Master endo
That ship will be 1km away or more potentially, so you might have to type anyway. Directional, ship to ship VoIP sounds really good and a controlled environment for the devs, and the other ship would have to open a channel with you, so if they don't, you'd kinda know what to expect.
That would be really good, just being able to turn on or off you're communications, for instance, if you are a pirate you turn it off and it makes you harder to find possibly because there is no frequencies, that way when you are spotted (at a reasonable not yet attack distance) you know they have hostile intentions, that way it makes it easy to spot those with friendlier intentions early on, whilst those who don't get a slight headstart but the defending vessels still have the opportunity to react to what is happening unless they are not paying attention.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Something I think we all need to band together with and the ball roll is voip. I personally think we need voip. No one wants to text role play in 2019. It will make it way easier for content creators to well you know creat content. What are your thoughts. Please be constructive.

- Skylord
VOIP would be quite nice, especially local voip for roleplay purposes.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Funny, I was going to write "cheeky" to your comment about ASMR and wink face, then I came across this a moment later.

Yea, well, making me reconsider VOIP :unsure:
But do you not love hearing them lovely scratches on this pringo's container?