What is Starbase's "Universe" like? (A Solar System? A Galaxy? Or Universe?)

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
Someone on Discord asked this and people say it's, well, huge! Like generations worth of travel huge. Years worth of travel huge, assuming you're just flying to a destination with the fastest speed and infinite fuel.

So to narrow the question to be a bit more specific on here just because it can get lost in the discord channel.

Is Starbase (when it hits EA or full release) just going to be a single large solar system? (or several/handful)

Or is it more so a galaxy sized place? Hundreds of solar systems to plunder and loot.

Or is Starbase even bigger, like multiple galaxies, and/or (to lack a better term) an infinite universe?

An infinite "galaxy" where there isn't massive gaps between groups of stars?

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
The exact reason why we said it'd take your great-grandchildren to reach the edge of the map is to put into perspective the scale of the game. Naturally, it also means that you're not gonna get to other star systems until a faster form of travel is available, assuming planet tech doesn't crash and burn during CA.

five

Master endo
It is a gas planet (eos) and his sun. The game is mainly going to be happening into eos asteroid belt and on eos countless moons

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
I mean what the early access/final game is gonna be like.
I know it's a gas giant, the sun and the 10 moons currently.

But like... it still brings up some questions

Will the other planets be handcrafted by the developers or will they be generated by the game?
Like, what scale are talking about here?
Just the solar system(s), or an infinite procedural universe?

What it going to be like?

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I would say that before we start considering other planets, or even solar systems, we should first consider how we are going to get there.
It's all well and good if a new planet is added to the universe, but with the current scaling between even just Eos and it's moons being so large, having other planets would be impossible without some kind of FTL travel.

No point having more places to go to if we can't go to them.

five

Master endo
I would say that before we start considering other planets, or even solar systems, we should first consider how we are going to get there.
It's all well and good if a new planet is added to the universe, but with the current scaling between even just Eos and it's moons being so large, having other planets would be impossible without some kind of FTL travel.

No point having more places to go to if we can't go to them.
I agree, if I remember correctly it takes around 40 hours to get to Elysium (only known moon) with a travelling speed of 100m/s (keep in mind the speed cap is at 150m/s).

I agree, if I remember correctly it takes around 40 hours to get to Elysium (only known moon) with a travelling speed of 100m/s (keep in mind the speed cap is at 150m/s).
It takes 40 hours traveling at 150 m/s to Elysium, and there’s several known moons, there‘s 10 in total.