What kinds of ships are you going to be building?

I'm just interested to see what people want to make. Like Star Wars? Halo? Anime? Communism? IDK. I'm going to be working on towing/refueling ships with few weapons, at least in the beginning

Morrgard

Master endo
Whenever I will be building any ships, I will be focused on making military ones, and a couple of civilian ones, mainly hangar vessels (carrier), cruisers / battleships, fighters, and similar sized vessels and transports.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
I will build whatever nice ships I can via blueprints. That being said I will not be designing my own ships as I don't have the artistic blood in me :)

Morrgard

Master endo
I will build whatever nice ships I can via blueprints. That being said I will not be designing my own ships as I don't have the artistic blood in me :)
Plenty of companies and industries that are willing to let you buy designs off their hands or request them, so that's all good for ya

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Plenty of companies and industries that are willing to let you buy designs off their hands or request them, so that's all good for ya
Hopefully. Or I might be lazy and take the easy way of using pirates blueprints posted on Steam workshop. Something I been hoping they don't have.

Morrgard

Master endo
Hopefully. Or I might be lazy and take the easy way of using pirates blueprints posted on Steam workshop. Something I been hoping they don't have.
That is if there is a workshop yes. I would like to see a more in-game market for blueprints though, like purchasing rights to a blueprint from their original creator, or "patent" rights for certain designs allowing re-distribution and selling of said blueprints

Sendall

Active endo
Early on fighters, they will be hard to do wrong and mostly disposable. Late game I want to see Battlestars patrolling the asteroid belt.

I love building multi-purpose ships. Planning to design an exploration vessel to aid in the journey to the moon. It will have Refineries, hangars, and all of the things required for it to be self sufficient during a long voyage in the void.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
I love building multi-purpose ships. Planning to design an exploration vessel to aid in the journey to the moon. It will have Refineries, hangars, and all of the things required for it to be self sufficient during a long voyage in the void.
I'm still questioning the effectiveness of multi-role ships.

I think a good exploration ship should be self sufficient. Having a ship that can mine, refine and defend itself increases its chance of survival when on long expeditions. I think having a single ship instead of a fleet on expeditions makes things much easier, as your only looking after one ship, and it also reduces cost.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
I think a good exploration ship should be self sufficient. Having a ship that can mine, refine and defend itself increases its chance of survival when on long expeditions. I think having a single ship instead of a fleet on expeditions makes things much easier, as your only looking after one ship, and it also reduces cost.
Fair enough.

While I've got plenty of Military Designs in my head, my first big project is probably going to be a Bulk Asteroid Freighter called the "She Wolf," as it's meant to be the "Big Momma" to the Romulus and Remus Cargo Ships.

Morrgard

Master endo
It really depends on what type of multirole ship you are creating. Generally a military ship is better left specialized in something, however, as mentioned by Matrix it can be beneficial for a singular ship moving alone to be very multirole.

Whatever's the most effective for combat. Likely something spherical or boxy as that will allow the most protection and be the most compact/efficient.

I'll enjoy scrapping all of your RP ships for resources, tho.
Judging from this and your other posts you must be fun at parties. Though putting that aside your statement brings up a good point that many games in a similar vein such as Starbase have failed to address, and that is the power of function over form.

In almost all games that allow to build your own ships (Avorion, Emperyion, Starmade, ect.) the player-base quickly devolves in to building battle cubes because they are the most efficient way of combat. However this stifles creativity, not that you seem to be concerned with that. This turns off a lot of new players from getting into the game because they see trailers and screenshots of cool and unique ships only to find out everyone is flying around in death cubes and not doing so puts you at a disadvantage.

The only solution is to either implement "cosmetic" blocks that you can layer over your ship that don't take up power/weight or some way to disincentivize cubes/spheres.

As for the the topic at hand, I'll most likely try to find a certain compromise between more efficient boxy military designs while not looking I'm completely devoid of style. Also a word of warning to everyone reading, if you think most people in this game aren't going to be like Atreties, you're mistaken, put your expectations in check because 9 out 10 times him or someone like him will be there to blow up your "artfully" built ship.

Last edited: