Wings or no wings

Morrgard

Master endo
What about homing missiles (which may be added in the future)?
...Ok I realized it is the few cases : P
I mean sure, there are always exceptions to things, but wings in general are not a particularly good choice unless it's for aerodynamics / aesthetics. But even then it would become clumsier in space.

As for guns, homing missiles could be one of the exceptions, but that also means they would be easy to hit being out hanging under a wing

CalenLoki

Master endo
Im with the no wing team.
Both function and aesthetic: if something makes no sense, adding it will always look silly.
Copying mistakes of existing space-fantasy (not to be mistaken with science fiction) is as childish as picturing vikings with horns on helmets.

Kenetor

Master endo
proably not wings in the traditional sense but im sure areas that dont have dakka on them will be behind a spaced out bit of armour to block incoming shots. these could be winglike or just fins

Morrgard

Master endo
proably not wings in the traditional sense but im sure areas that dont have dakka on them will be behind a spaced out bit of armour to block incoming shots. these could be winglike or just fins
So a plate shield protecting the sides of the vessel you mean?

I will not be putting wings on most likely unless I can think of an actual good mechanical reason to do so.
For example, we all agree that wings on a spacecraft do not perform the same lift and aerodynamic functions that they do on an aircraft. However, it might be a good place to store volatile components or components that need a wide field of view.

For example, if it turns out that there are not any reliable ways to protect fuel/batteries/ammo in the center of your ship (like if weapons fire penetrates it too easily) then it might be advantageous to store those components far away from the main body of the ship in case of explosion.

Or there might be a good use for "wings" if you want to give a rotating turret a better field of fire. Mounting one out on a protrusion like a wing could achieve that.

So there are excuses to put wings on a ship. Whether or not that will be worth making yourself a larger target is going to depend on the balance of game mechanics once we start seeing more actual gameplay.

Morrgard

Master endo
I will not be putting wings on most likely unless I can think of an actual good mechanical reason to do so.
For example, we all agree that wings on a spacecraft do not perform the same lift and aerodynamic functions that they do on an aircraft. However, it might be a good place to store volatile components or components that need a wide field of view.

For example, if it turns out that there are not any reliable ways to protect fuel/batteries/ammo in the center of your ship (like if weapons fire penetrates it too easily) then it might be advantageous to store those components far away from the main body of the ship in case of explosion.

Or there might be a good use for "wings" if you want to give a rotating turret a better field of fire. Mounting one out on a protrusion like a wing could achieve that.

So there are excuses to put wings on a ship. Whether or not that will be worth making yourself a larger target is going to depend on the balance of game mechanics once we start seeing more actual gameplay.

Putting those components on that wing would make it pretty fat if you would like it to be covered in armor, which in turn would slow down your ship more as weight is very important in SB if you want a faster ship vs a slower ( I read somewhere)

I see wings as being incredibly useful for armoring purposes. If designed properly, they can shield the core systems of your ship from certain angles of attack and help reduce the damage from AOE attacks such as missiles. That said, I would never trust wiring, piping, or any of the likes to be exposed along wings due to their vulnerability.

Metal

Active endo
Only use wings for a function. if you plan on mounting weapons/thrusters on wings then you make it easier to shoot off, and if one engine gets shot off then you will start turning more than if it was centered.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Yea! That would be really well used I believe However I don't think such should be heavy armor to be sure the ship holds up to a certain speed still
Isn't there a maximum speed limit? I feel like weight wouldn't matter as much if every ship can reasonably reach said speed.

Morrgard

Master endo
Isn't there a maximum speed limit? I feel like weight wouldn't matter as much if every ship can reasonably reach said speed.
There is a maximum speed limit yes, however, there is no acceleration limit from what I know so far. Meaning weight still adds to how fast you can move off which will most likely be more crucial than your top speed many times

This subroutine is aware that exposure to the glorious hivemind might be harmful to organics but it is cool nonetheless
:D

Luckily I could reduce my exposure juuuuust in time by finding the switch to turn off all signatures in this forum.
That was a close one.
I already felt my organic brain melting away due to the superior coolness of the collective subroutines in that animation.