Wings or no wings

I'm fairly certain I will... On most of my ships at least for more space and such. Depends on the ship really.

Sent

Endokid
In some way they are asthetic objects but they can also serve a purpose supporting engines (although not a good idea exposing them), weapons or other various external systems. I would go for them or even small fins to increase space availablity and give the ship some depth (looks cooler).

Vexus

Master endo
Wings can potentially give you better turning/rotational speed as well as mounting points for certain things, for example cargo locks for hauling asteroids. You might be able to fit one asteroid under each wing, and then realize if you have 4 wings (left/right/top/bottom) you can now carry 4 asteroids at a time. They'll definitely have use and designing them with utility or maneuverability in mind will be interesting.

Get ready for the highly unrational idea of extreme amounts of engines on long wings just for that crazy rotation speed and copious amounts of spinning. Who needs drugs or weird power supplies when you can do this.

Lingontuva

StarCat | Novus Aurora Council
wings are cool, wings are everything
(in all seriousness, if they serve a purpose, nah scratch that wings are awesome, if they hold up and don't break off then i will have them, they would also serve as good attachment points for weapons as in real life)

I will probably, just because i feel like it could be a nice addition to fighters. However, i feel like not putting them on bigger builds that revolve around carrying cargo and such.
Dont know why, just feel right to make them more or less chunky bois that have a lot of defenses and thus giving no place for decorations. Maybe "top and lower wings" though, as they kinda look cool as seen on the pic :D

Attachments

Morrgard

Master endo
It really depends from ship to ship basis for me, I want to do what looks the most stylish whilst maintaining maximum efficiency.. so some of my designs would certainly come out having wings or fins a least

If there is a need to keep engines or weapons away from the craft, then yes, as can be seen with X-wings from Star Wars. The engines heat up so having them on the edge of the wings is the best place for them.

Morrgard

Master endo
If there is a need to keep engines or weapons away from the craft, then yes, as can be seen with X-wings from Star Wars. The engines heat up so having them on the edge of the wings is the best place for them.
X-wing is a pretty terrible design, guns being on the side makes too large spread for it to be an effective fighter, and as for the engines I dont know enough about star wars

As Morrgard said guns on the side are a pretty bad design feature. also having the engines on the side makes them easier to shoot, generally you would want your engines to be protected as possible no matter what class of ship you are flying.

May put wings on my ships for more aesthetic reasons. If it's a combat ship it'll be as smooth and clean as possible. Can't have anyone blowing me away because my wings are sticking out. xD

Lingontuva

StarCat | Novus Aurora Council
Yeah, space wings don't really serve a purpose if it's not an SSTO (aka single stage to orbit) but the devs have said that theres probably a while before planets, and we don't even habe confirmation on aerodynamics yet. So far wings are only for cosmetic purposes or just for a stupid design.
May put wings on my ships for more aesthetic reasons. If it's a combat ship it'll be as smooth and clean as possible. Can't have anyone blowing me away because my wings are sticking out. xD

Just as the title says will you be putting wings onto your ships or not, why or why not.
No... I believe they aren't useful for anything except esthetics amd maby a little armour between side attacks and your cockpit if positioned correctly. But disadvantages just outweigh advantages since getting one shot will offset your center of mass and making your ship way hard to pilot. Even if we get planets and need wings to navigate in them i will make my wings deployable so they aren't inthe line of fire all the time.