YOLOL Code Marketing

Azelous

Veteran endo
What do people envision the marketing for YOLOL code to look like?

Will they be one time payments for the client to gain the code to copy/paste to the rest of their faction?
Will there be no market for code, as Cyclon makes everything open source?
Will coders be able to sell multiple chips as they're safe from copying by encryption?
Will the open source code but difficult nature to read relegate coders to being paid to install chips on ships?
Will coders only get financial reimbursement when customizing scripts to suit a client's particular needs?

Will they be one time payments for the client to gain the code to copy/paste to the rest of their faction?
I think that ideally it would work like in the real world with licenses. IE: A company selling some yolol code might have code that communicates with a central server to check license ids and disable ones that haven’t payed for more than 1 use.

Will there be no market for code, as Cyclon makes everything open source?
I can’t speak for Cyclon, but to my understanding they just want to help people learn the yolol language and provide tools to help with that. I’m sure that if a player develops a very efficient system they could sell it to others.

Will coders be able to sell multiple chips as they're safe from copying by encryption?
I think the devs have said they might implement a way to obfuscate(encrypt) your code, but other than that idk.

Will the open source code but difficult nature to read relegate coders to being paid to install chips on ships?
Maybe or they could be paid to write the software and then send the code to the client, or offer licences(see first point). Generally I think it will work like IRL with a market. Good developers will probably be in high demand and sell their code for more.

Will coders only get financial reimbursement when customizing scripts to suit a client's particular needs?
Maybe, I think it would all depend on a contract that the developer would do with said client. Then their could be an independent agency that hunts people that break contracts and stuff(or a license system if it works).

But that’s just my two-cents. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but as you might have noticed I’m pretty sure it would emulate real life.

Matrixmage

Learned-to-sprint endo
When it comes down to it, the code itself won't be the most important part. Each yolol script will be quite simple, but it's the overall system they're a part of that's far more complicated. The knowledge and skill to put together the system will become invaluable, whereas the code itself may very well become an open commodity.

That's just my two cents. Over in Cylon we're focusing on providing resources for teaching, learning, and researching yolol. A lot of our time has been spent developing out of game tools for us to use as well as figuring out some of the more obscure behaviours in yolol.

Norway174

Active endo
I think that ideally it would work like in the real world with licenses. IE: A company selling some yolol code might have code that communicates with a central server to check license ids and disable ones that haven’t payed for more than 1 use.

I can’t speak for Cyclon, but to my understanding they just want to help people learn the yolol language and provide tools to help with that. I’m sure that if a player develops a very efficient system they could sell it to others.

I think the devs have said they might implement a way to obfuscate(encrypt) your code, but other than that idk.

Maybe or they could be paid to write the software and then send the code to the client, or offer licences(see first point). Generally I think it will work like IRL with a market. Good developers will probably be in high demand and sell their code for more.

Maybe, I think it would all depend on a contract that the developer would do with said client. Then their could be an independent agency that hunts people that break contracts and stuff(or a license system if it works).

But that’s just my two-cents. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but as you might have noticed I’m pretty sure it would emulate real life.
I think you might be thinking a little too complex regarding YOLOL.

I don't think you'd buy the code. It's not much, and a somewhat limited. 20 lines, with 70 (Citation needed?) letters per line.
And there likely will not be any security measures, or DRMs, or licensing on the code.

Outside the safe-zone, anyone could access, read, and modify your YOLOL chip. From what I've heard.

However, when you buy a ship. You'll buy that with pre-programmed from the designer of that ship.

Or, if you make your own. You could buy a complex set of YOLOL Chips and devices, that's pre-made to do certain functions.

Or, you could hire a YOLOL developer to develop and build out the system on your own ship.

But that might be a waste, depending on what you want to do. If you just wanna open a door, that'll be super easy to do.
If you wanna transmit messages to another ship. That might be a bit more complicated to do. And you could possibly pay someone to help you install that on your ship.