YOLOL powered stock market?

Amos.37

Veteran endo
So, at bare minimum, a stock market would need to display items, prices and demand and supply figures. This all seems reasonably achievable using YOLOL given what we know.
The next question is, can YOLOL be used to send data across distances (between stations)? Or would players just send the info via chat and physically update each market?
Either way, the market would need to be physically updated somewhere, it's then just a matter of how many times the info has to be input, or whether the data can be transmitted and updated for each market using the system.
This would effectively determine whether a stock market is local or system wide.

The real question though, seeing as it would likely be easier to use or create a third-party website to make a stock market, will players commit to making and maintaining an in-game market?

That's a commodities market, not a stock market, not that it matters all that much.

We have antennas, but they have limited range. This isn't to say that you couldn't run relays between stations. I just don't know if that will work in the event that some of the relays are not being loaded by any players. In all likelihood, I think we would see exchanges be local to the different stations. This isn't exactly a huge problem. It just creates opportunities for arbitrage.

I don't actually know if we can automate the configuration or actions of trade terminals through YOLOL at this time.

Using a 3rd-party website might be more convenient in a technological sense, but I don't know how you would enforce those contracts in-game.

Imagine trying to run a commodities market at the speed of YOLOL.

Enjoy waiting hours for a price index lol
I mean, it wouldn't be that bad. We do have parallelism. Building any sort of trade matching engine would be a bit of a problem, though. The rate of trades on a particular commodity would likely be limited to 5 trades per second or so...

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
I'd also like to mention that if history is any indicator, player's aren't generally likely to form speculative markets due to a lack of legal oversight. EVE tried to set of an "official" public market once and players just plain didn't use it as it immediately became complaetely used for every flavor of insider trading and ponzi scheme imaginable.

Trading money for promises generally requires trust, trust in both trade partners and the oversight of the market. That's trust players generally don't have in one another. Its the same reason that any player with half a brain also doesn't put much stock in player run banks. There's simply too much risk of the bank running off with your money with no consequences.

I would be nice to get an economy update, because player run markets is a bad idea... Eve is a perfect example of how anything can be used to cheat less informed players.

I would be nice to get an economy update, because player run markets is a bad idea... Eve is a perfect example of how anything can be used to cheat less informed players.
EVE's player market is very good, actually. The only problem is that the reason it works is because everything in the game is researched, produced, and sold by another player, barring the few 'seeded' items that are on the market in certain areas.

So far, Starbase markets seem to be mostly NPC-run, which means that the economic design in EVE would not work here. Consider the fact that CCP had entire teams of real-world economists and stock traders design the virtual market.

EVE's player market is very good, actually. The only problem is that the reason it works is because everything in the game is researched, produced, and sold by another player, barring the few 'seeded' items that are on the market in certain areas.

So far, Starbase markets seem to be mostly NPC-run, which means that the economic design in EVE would not work here. Consider the fact that CCP had entire teams of real-world economists and stock traders design the virtual market.
The Starbase markets are currently NPC run, but the devs believe that buying from NPC's will eventually become obsolete because players will naturally change prices to actually sell their products.