Yolol: Server Terminals & Server Locks

Mur

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I have had a few issues with Yolol chips vanishing from my servers so I have had to start bolting the cards into the servers. Now this seems to me like an un-elegant choice to fix this.

1) Servers should have a lock on them so I can push a button and it acts like I bolted them in.

2) Servers should have a terminal where I could access any connected server on the network. This could be done by having each server having its own name (similar to the MFC) and each yolol chip could have a name field (to explain what the program does)

Example: You go to a screen that looks like a yolol chip, it brings up a list of all the servers on the network (Server1, Server2, etc) in that screen i can type out which server I want to connect to. When connecting to a server it shows me a listing of each chip (Slot1 - Generator.yolol, Slot2 - Scan.yolol, Slot 3 - empty) you can go into a certain slot and edit the yolol like you would if you took the chip out.

This could even let you do more advance things like disable a yolol chip, copy yolol chip, set a variable yolol chip (like a button that only goes when enable = 1), goto yolol chip etc.

3) Let us save a copy of our own Yolol in a personal database so we can have a backup of our scripts internally to the game. Right now all code in the game can be lost if not saved externally. If we could have a script database we could code there first and then download that data onto a yolol chip for ease of management and backup.

All of this would make editing much easier, storage way easier and add more tools to yolol.

Last edited:

*FS*

Well-known endo
I have had a few issues with Yolol chips vanishing from my servers so I have had to start bolting the cards into the servers. Now this seems to me like an un-elegant choice to fix this.

1) Servers should have a lock on them so I can push a button and it acts like I bolted them in.

2) Servers should have a terminal where I could access any connected server on the network. This could be done by having each server having its own name (similar to the MFC) and each yolol chip could have a name field (to explain what the program does)

Example: You go to a screen that looks like a yolol chip, it brings up a list of all the servers on the network (Server1, Server2, etc) in that screen i can type out which server I want to connect to. When connecting to a server it shows me a listing of each chip (Slot1 - Generator.yolol, Slot2 - Scan.yolol, Slot 3 - empty) you can go into a certain slot and edit the yolol like you would if you took the chip out.

This could even let you do more advance things like disable a yolol chip, copy yolol chip, set a variable yolol chip (like a button that only goes when enable = 1), goto yolol chip etc.

3) Let us save a copy of our own Yolol in a personal database so we can have a backup of our scripts internally to the game. Right now all code in the game can be lost if not saved externally. If we could have a script database we could code there first and then download that data onto a yolol chip for ease of management and backup.

All of this would make editing much easier, storage way easier and add more tools to yolol.
Great Idea's! Hope they use them. Great Post man.

Womble

Veteran endo
3) Let us save a copy of our own Yolol in a personal database so we can have a backup of our scripts internally to the game.
You can do this in the spaceship designer. Make a Module of your YOLOL library, with every script you've ever written on a chip in a chip holder. Make modules of each script, with just the chip in it (that's how you'd import things from the environment you tested 'em in to the library module).

Mur

You can do this in the spaceship designer. Make a Module of your YOLOL library, with every script you've ever written on a chip in a chip holder. Make modules of each script, with just the chip in it (that's how you'd import things from the environment you tested 'em in to the library module).
Like inside our inventory menu.

Could always save it outside the game. It's just text, throw it all in a Google Drive folder, or a git repo.

Mur

Could always save it outside the game. It's just text, throw it all in a Google Drive folder, or a git repo.
1) github is public (unless you are paying for a pro account) so that goes against what Frozenbytes wants for yolol.
2) I understand what i CAN do, the idea is to keep that information inside the game and which allows yolol to become more easily managed. We are robots so I don't see why having an inventory for code would be a bad thing.

1) github is public (unless you are paying for a pro account) so that goes against what Frozenbytes wants for yolol.
2) I understand what i CAN do, the idea is to keep that information inside the game and which allows yolol to become more easily managed. We are robots so I don't see why having an inventory for code would be a bad thing.
Fair point on GitHub being public.

As far as a inventory for code. I feel like that's a rabbit hole if it were to be in parity with the rest of the inventories. I believe Frozenbyte is moving towards essentially everything is physical, no more endless station storage, etc. Which means for a yolol code inventory to have parity with that... You'd need some sort of memory card? Servers? At that point.. you could just stick with the physical yolol chips we have now and house copies of your yolol chips at a main base or a vault.

Mur

Fair point on GitHub being public.

As far as a inventory for code. I feel like that's a rabbit hole if it were to be in parity with the rest of the inventories. I believe Frozenbyte is moving towards essentially everything is physical, no more endless station storage, etc. Which means for a yolol code inventory to have parity with that... You'd need some sort of memory card? Servers? At that point.. you could just stick with the physical yolol chips we have now and house copies of your yolol chips at a main base or a vault.
I don't mind there being a personal storage upgrade (like a chip or implants) that you can expand your internal yolol library I just want there to be a way to backup my code in game that isn't physical but I have to plug into something to make that yolol code work into something physical. Like i should not be able to email code, i would need to put it on a yolol chip and give it physically.

This means that if all my ships / stations were gone I still have my code. I could go into the ship designer pop a yolol chip into it and download my saved code into so that I don't loose anything and have to keep going to an external source outside of the game.

Last edited:
I don't mind there being a personal storage upgrade (like a chip or implants) that you can expand your internal yolol library I just want there to be a way to backup my code in game that isn't physical but I have to plug into something to make that yolol code work into something physical. Like i should not be able to email code, i would need to put it on a yolol chip and give it physically.

This means that if all my ships / stations were gone I still have my code. I could go into the ship designer pop a yolol chip into it and download my saved code into so that I don't loose anything and have to keep going to an external source outside of the game.
Having a personal storage chip sounds interesting.

That said, I think there's something thrilling about having a vault of the original copies of YOLOL Chips that are used in a factory to flash the chips in products being mass produced. What if someone attacks them and destroys them, or corrupts them, or alters them in some way in some sort of espionage attack?

(To be clear I'm not saying you're wrong since your opinion is your opinion / your suggestion is valid.)

Last edited:
Github gives you unlimited private repositories, the only difference between pro and private is you get 2gb of storage vs 500mb

Mur

Having a personal storage chip sounds interesting.

That said, I think there's something thrilling about having a vault of the original copies of YOLOL Chips that are used in a factory to flash the chips in products being mass produced. What if someone attacks them and destroys them, or corrupts them, or alters them in some way in some sort of espionage attack?

(To be clear I'm not saying you're wrong since your opinion is your opinion / your suggestion is valid.)
Well this way that kind of espionage could happen, maybe in the future you could get hacked and your yolol is disabled for a time and looks like corrupt data or after you die you need to reboot your yolol from backups which takes time, better implants the less time it takes.

I am just advocating to keep the code in the game and having a good way of dealing with it.

If you build form scratch this works fine. But if you are making field-repairs or try to update something in your YOLOL-rack it's terrible anoying! I spent more time to plug the chip into the socket then to write the code.

Womble

Veteran endo
Good luck finding the chip you want from the inventory... At least if it's in the designer you can tack a text panel to the chip&reader with a description of what each chip has on it, and have some spatial organisation of topic.

Damn right! I suggested something like that. I said the chip shuld have a descrioption. That should dispay on locked state and in the inventory. Inventory V2 is coming in a week or so, maybe we'll see it.

Oh, come on! If there i something important on those chips you will have a copy of everything in some offline text files. The only thing the destructuion of your library will do is make you press copy-paste for some hours. Nothiong but annoying routine.