Zone Visbility Control: Better Piracy and Personal Security

XenoCow

Master endo
Main Point
Make the "Who is nearby" 'o' button optional to be displayed on so that pirates (and their prey) can go undetected, and so that people can hang out semi-anonymously.

Problem
Currently, anybody can know when anybody else is nearby just by pressing 'o'. This undermines pirate's ability to stalk prey out in the danger-zone while simultaneously making miners more vulnerable. Additionally, players that want to play the game but not interact with particular (or most) players, or who have some sort of reputation, cannot hide while enjoying public areas. This could be an avenue for harassment or annoying paparazzi.

Solution
Allow players to chose their discoverability. This could have different options to select from. For example, friends, company, only in safe-zones, etc. This would allow pirates and non-pirates alike to travel undetected (besides with the use of detection devices or visually). It would also allow famous, shy, or vulnerable players to feel safe to play without getting too much attention.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts on this idea. It seems like a pretty easy win to me.

CalenLoki

Master endo
IMO there should be a way to identify anyone you meet, even if they'd rather remain anonymous.
People tend to act even more like duchebags if they are completely anonymous.
You want to be mean? Go for it, but pay the price with your reputation.

That being said, I agree that it shouldn't be used for detection. Just identification, once you detected someone via other means (visually or sensors/radars). So I'd prefer it to be done with a single ray sensor: you aim at a ship, and it shows you it's owner (and possible company/name too).
Sensor could be built into hud, universal tool, dedicated tool or ship mounted. Or all of them with various ranges.