What kind of mounted Weaponry would you like to see?

five

Master endo
This is about personal interest: What would YOU guys like to see as mounted weaponry?
The only 2 ideas coming to mind for me rn are: 1. Some kind of rotary cannon or gatling gun like GAU-8 Avenger (Big Brrt Brrt of A-10 Warthog) that would only fit into a large weapon mount or 2. Some kind of big cannon like seen on battleships or even just a tank cannon (again only being able to fit into large weapon mount)
What are YOUR ideas? I wanna know

Your curious fella, five

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
I'd like to see some sort of weapon that disables or severely decreases functionality of parts. For example if you hit a group of thrusters with this weapon, some thrusters in an area around the point of impact will turn off/severely underperform for a period of time. I can see it being some sort of semi-auto cannon with a triangle barrel, fires light-blue fast projectiles that leave a lightning trail behind them. Would be fun to use this in a sort of support ship that simply disturbs enemy forces.

five

Master endo
I'd like to see some sort of weapon that disables or severely decreases functionality of parts. For example if you hit a group of thrusters with this weapon, some thrusters in an area around the point of impact will turn off/severely underperform for a period of time. I can see it being some sort of semi-auto cannon with a triangle barrel, fires light-blue fast projectiles that leave a lightning trail behind them. Would be fun to use this in a sort of support ship that simply disturbs enemy forces.
uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh I like it. A gun that fires projectiles emulating electromagnetic pulses. I'd say that some light fighters could use it to maybe trap a target in place like a larger cargo ship of some sort

I'd like to see some kind of arc cannon that latches onto ships. When first fired, the cannon would shoot out a continuous straight beam that curves to keep contact with the first thing it hits, and then does continuous damage as long as the weapon is pointed in the target's general direction. It would make a nice anti-fighter alternative to homing missiles

five

Master endo
I'd like to see some kind of arc cannon that latches onto ships. When first fired, the cannon would shoot out a continuous straight beam that curves to keep contact with the first thing it hits, and then does continuous damage as long as the weapon is pointed in the target's general direction. It would make a nice anti-fighter alternative to homing missiles
I like the idea of a tracking kind of weapon. But how exactly would you balance it? You got any ideas for that?

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
After devs improve moons and allow for base building, I'd love to see flak cannons, because we all know that hitting a small fighter from far away with currently available weapons is challenging, also these defence points are going to be easy targets.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
After devs improve moons and allow for base building, I'd love to see flak cannons, because we all know that hitting a small fighter from far away with currently available weapons is challenging, also these defence points are going to be easy targets.
Good news, flak cannons are most likely the next weapon to hit PU! Their model is nearly done, you can see a pair of them in the MAG shop, just functionality that's left I think!

I like the idea of a tracking kind of weapon. But how exactly would you balance it? You got any ideas for that?
Unlike other weapons, the arc cannon would have a hard cap to its range. A fighter that finds itself latched onto by the beam could free itself by retreating. Additionally, it would have a very high energy consumption and very low armor penetration compared to other weapons of similar dps. It's meant to be point defense for larger ships that have the generator capacity to fuel them, and whose turrets might not have perfect coverage of the entire ship. The arc cannon would probably serve a similar role as flak cannons did in WW2; players would learn that the arc cannon can be countered by keeping their distance, but doing so results in less accurate bombing runs

five

Master endo
Unlike other weapons, the arc cannon would have a hard cap to its range. A fighter that finds itself latched onto by the beam could free itself by retreating. Additionally, it would have a very high energy consumption and very low armor penetration compared to other weapons of similar dps. It's meant to be point defense for larger ships that have the generator capacity to fuel them, and whose turrets might not have perfect coverage of the entire ship. The arc cannon would probably serve a similar role as flak cannons did in WW2; players would learn that the arc cannon can be countered by keeping their distance, but doing so results in less accurate bombing runs
ah ok. Nice way of balancing it. I was honesty going through scenarios this weapon would be broken without proper balance, but that is actually a really good idea

I'd like to see weapons akin to the star trek universe, phasers, torpedos etc, of course with ways to counter them, shields that absorb and fail after X damage, something that makes it better than glass ships, throwing rocks at other glass ships.

five

Master endo
I'd like to see weapons akin to the star trek universe, phasers, torpedos etc, of course with ways to counter them, shields that absorb and fail after X damage, something that makes it better than glass ships, throwing rocks at other glass ships.
If I understand you right you want weapons from Sci-Fi franchises to be implemented into starbase. If so: I don't know how well copying weapons from other franchises into starbase could or would work but I don't really like the idea because you then would have people like me want star wars weapons and so on. And it also would be a pain in the ass to balance and people would argue about it like: Which weapon should be stronger: An ion torpedo from star wars or a torpedo from Star Trek. Though I like the idea of implementing energy shields but only if balanced proplery so that the tiniest of ships can't use them due to need of energy. If you meant weapon skins for existing weapons: Also not such a great idea because you would have to know about every single weapon skin and what weapon it is a skin from + different vfx and stuff make it even more complicated. Last but not least throwing rocks at ships: I like it ALOT. But the question is how powerfull it would be. Depending on the devices in the game you could probably already build something like it: You have cargo beams locking a meteor in place and reverse the power of a tractor beam to push it away.

This may already be in the works, but increased modularity to weapons is enough, if we can have more creative freedom with these things it would prompt factions and companies to develop some rather impressive arsenals.

If I understand you right you want weapons from Sci-Fi franchises to be implemented into starbase. If so: I don't know how well copying weapons from other franchises into starbase could or would work but I don't really like the idea because you then would have people like me want star wars weapons and so on. And it also would be a pain in the ass to balance and people would argue about it like: Which weapon should be stronger: An ion torpedo from star wars or a torpedo from Star Trek. Though I like the idea of implementing energy shields but only if balanced proplery so that the tiniest of ships can't use them due to need of energy. If you meant weapon skins for existing weapons: Also not such a great idea because you would have to know about every single weapon skin and what weapon it is a skin from + different vfx and stuff make it even more complicated. Last but not least throwing rocks at ships: I like it ALOT. But the question is how powerfull it would be. Depending on the devices in the game you could probably already build something like it: You have cargo beams locking a meteor in place and reverse the power of a tractor beam to push it away.
Honestly anything that's more than Space Engineers bullets and dumb missiles would be welcome, smart tracking torpedos, and the like. Not a diehard star trek or wars fan here, energy weapons, and energy shields would be a nice change.

Also I agree balancing energy shields could be challenging, wouldn't want a small ship to out tank a battle ship for sure. Something however that lets you focus on form and function, vs 100% defense to keep weapons from being picked off so easily would be great, to keep rock throwers from doing as much damage :p

To balance the arc weapon you could make the arc weapon expensive to build by having it need rare components that are either very expensive to trade for or have it need materials that are a rare find when mining. To balance the tide-turning potential of the arc weapon make an armor set for fighter/ bombers that needs rare components that are either very expensive to trade for or have it need materials that are a rare find when mining. The armor set when equipped to the fighters/bombers makes them become invisible to the arcing beams targeting and they will only take damage from it if they are directly hit by it.

Last edited:
Torpedoes would be a nice alt to missiles they would be bigger and slower then missiles but have longer range and can be destroyed before they hit you but if they hit you you will know you got hit

Last edited:
A close-range weapon that drains the energy of the ship it hits and transfers the energy to your ship but if you try to keep taking energy after your ship is full the weapon will explode and cause all power connections that were connected to the weapon to be fried and need to be repaired or replaced

PDCs or Point Defense Cannons. Ballistic or energy based that could work in conjunction with sensors and cover a ship from either fast flying objects or smaller craft. Thinking of this more on the large capitol ship scale which I'm hoping will be a real option for this game. Maybe in the long run these could be upgraded to move faster, have faster fire rates, or track targets better. These of course would also have a relatively short range for space combat around 500-1000m radius or cone depending on the elevation and windage control.

five

Master endo
Torpedoes would be a nice alt to missiles they would be bigger and slower then missiles but have longer range and can be destroyed before they hit you but if they hit you you will know you got hit
Those are already in the works

five

Master endo
To balance the arc weapon you could make the arc weapon expensive to build by having it need rare components that are either very expensive to trade for or have it need materials that are a rare find when mining. To balance the tide-turning potential of the arc weapon make an armor set for fighter/ bombers that needs rare components that are either very expensive to trade for or have it need materials that are a rare find when mining. The armor set when equipped to the fighters/bombers makes them become invisible to the arcing beams targeting and they will only take damage from it if they are directly it by it.
I really dont like the idea of having more or less rare components. Everybody should be able to access to the same parts for their ships for roughly the same money. Cause otherwise you would end up with a faction so large that it starts to terrorise the rest because it just has better equipment. I like conflict, but I don't like to be terrorised by some larger faction because there is a Pay2Win-esque type of system. Engineering and piloting skills should decide the fight, not who got the right parts