Space combat is primitive?

Orlover

Well-known endo
Uhm, I just make parallels to other space combat games.
Space engineers - people complain about stupid deathbricks.
Empyrion - people complain about stupid deathbricks.
Star Citizen - devs intentionally did not implement autotargeting. And now people complain about combat being just point and click (especially for multicrew ships). And here is Starbase with no-autoaim, no-cameras polcy digging itself the same grave.
People will always complain. No matter how awesome a system is done a group of its participants will find something to complain about. It is as inevitable as death and taxes.

Hunter

Active endo
1) Tank combat games.
Here people do aim for weak points. But that is because of two factors: if you don't hit the weakspot - you do not penetrate armor at all and inflict no damadge. Second is that after a shot you have a long reloading process. So people do try to make every shot count.
I could be mistaken, but there are "weak spots in SB", correct?

Shoot at the thrusters, poof. Shoot at their main cannon on top, poof.

Venombrew

Master endo
It is also exciting and will get your blood pumping.
dude it gets my blood pumping just watching other fighters go at it, and me just sitting on the sidelines watching the show. i think its very entertaining and if you notice these are now 30 second fights, good amount of time goes into these skirmishes.

Neva

Active endo
I could be mistaken, but there are "weak spots in SB", correct?

Shoot at the thrusters, poof. Shoot at their main cannon on top, poof.
2) WWII air combat games.
Here, while you able to kill a pilot or engine with a single bullet - people just tend to spray into enemy's center of mass, because every shot damadges enemy's aircraft anyway and it is really hard to hit something percicely when your opponent is constantly maneuvering.
So with Starbase combat nature being more close to second example, I assume that weakspots pinpointing is going to be less of a factor.

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
@Neva This stuff comes back to ship design and the whole death brick thing. I think it comes to balancing and other stuff of that sort. It also shows how much ship design matters in combat. So you can take it as the person who wins is the person who has the better more efficient ship not how well they aim. If you ask some people they might it say it will that applies more now then ever because of wasd for movement. I don't agree entirely but it's fun to think about. Basically it's hard to do precision shooting currently.

@Neva This is the same as playing in a FPS. you can get 1 shot with any gun but 95% of the people arent skilled enought in these "Aim and shoot" games to do so. Even a 5v1 can sometimes go in favor of that one person if he uses 5 shots to kill 5 people while they need 9 shots to kill a single person.
@Orlover yeah the game where you bash each other with stones, rust. Yeah that game is so primitive. sacasm drips from the roof

Venombrew

Master endo
@Orlover yeah the game where you bash each other with stones, rust. Yeah that game is so primitive. sacasm drips from the roof
lol im not a big fan of that game, its cool i did like it when i was playing. but regardless of that, i had the best experience at the start of rust than any other game. i mean how many games do you start playing where you immidately ambushed by real players and than abducted and forced to fight in a fucked up arena, butt ass naked! it is by far my most memorable game play of a new game ever.

@Cavilier210 quick question on this,

pretty much a lot of medium ships and all large have to run with a piloting crew of at least 2 right? so typically if you were to get off a really like snipe, someone else just take that persons spot til they come back from the 3d printer right? so even if you were lucky enough to land a crazy snipe from a bizarre angle, chances are its not gonna slow the crew down. a rail gun hit lol is gonna def do the trick, cause it dont matter how many crew members you got if there is no cockpit left.
So, technically no, it wouldn't take 2 people to pilot a large ship. Only takes one. But with a crew, your gonna have people to take over that seat.

Now for the part where you splode the cockpit, large ships I would assume would have a secondary set of controls somewhere else in the ship.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
So, technically no, it wouldn't take 2 people to pilot a large ship. Only takes one. But with a crew, your gonna have people to take over that seat.

Now for the part where you splode the cockpit, large ships I would assume would have a secondary set of controls somewhere else in the ship.
I know from when I thought buying an Ithaca was an amazing purchase that you can 100% just put in a flight control deck as well as a traditional cockpit.

I love how we fully went of theme, since we more or less already said everything we needed to say.
Only the future can tell us if combat will remain "primitive" or if they will add different "classes" that would actually be useful.
Next question i have... Is it cheaper to have 3 fighters or 1 gunship for 3?

This is what I read:

"Ship building is boring and primitive. There is only one type of material available. So what if it's still closed alpha? We should already be talking about other ship building mechanics."

EDIT: I meant this as a parallel to what OP is saying and it doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Orlover

Well-known endo
Next question i have... Is it cheaper to have 3 fighters or 1 gunship for 3?
Smaller fighters are definately cheaper, even in bulk. I have heard people mention in channel that they would rather have 3 or 6 fighters to take out a destroyer sized ship, the balance is just not quite there yet.

This is what I read:

"Ship building is boring and primitive. There is only one type of material available. So what if it's still closed alpha? We should already be talking about other ship building mechanics."
There are many more materials to build ships with than one.