Does playerbase care about easy-build mode?

Tomasz

Well-known endo
I don't see or hear anyone asking for easy build improvements or adding new modules.
In 2 companies i had been in anyone who is building just builds in ship designer and don;t even care about easy build.
Hence im quite confused about so mch work dedicated there.
Am i missing some big portion of players that ask for moar easy-build stuff?

Caddrel

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I think the idea behind the ship designer is that, in a multiplayer game, the main method of ship design shouldn't be hidden away in something that could just as well be an external program.

I can see the easy build being useful for someone's first ship, but... the sort of person who would want to build their entire ship from scratch with easy build modules, might also be the same sort of person who would be very happy buying a pampered ship from the store that someone had spent 100 hours designing.

However it stacks up, it's a feature worth having to some degree. I suspect the only reason people care is because they want other features developed first.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
EBM unfortunately launched with a lot of bugs and it's still missing a ton of features, namely the seamless integration to the actual ship designer. It was always designed to be the gateway to the actual designer.

EBM is similarly gateway to stations and capital ships, although for them it allows much larger structures soon.

In hindsight it's easy to say EBM was a bad call from my part for the launch, but at the time it seemed like a solid solution for many of the problems game had back in the alpha. Currently EBM isn't a burden for the rest of the development but it's shaping out well and actually supporting stations and capital ships.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
Easy build mode is very good for new players (when it works), the actual designer (SSC) scares many with its complexity.
So even as player not having used it in a long time I do care about it working.

One possible way of smoothening the transition between the easy build mode and the SSC could be to make easy build modules somehow available in the SSC. This could help remove some complexity at the beginning, but could also be bad because SSC beginners could rely too much on the modules. Just a suggestion, I'm sure there already are better plans :)

I feel EBM is needed for the longevity of starbase. There has to be a more casual aspect to the ship builder to keep more casual players. Definately keep the Full blown ship builder for more hardcore. The problem is that the EBM is SO BUGGY atm that its more of a nightmare to do anything with. You dont wana know the pain this has caused. It almost cost me new Monitors for my computer i got so frustrated with it. In the future though once it gets ironed out more I definately think it will be a good thing. Its got a long way to go though. for the ships. And definately for the stations. Finaly. we need a way to use modules outside EBM. You cant even drop them out of your inventory outside EBM

I started with the Ship Designer immediately because there is no point in not learning the ropes of the actual designer from the get go if you ask me.
I didn't start the game expecting it to be easy anyway so I really had no incentive to try EBM.

I used easy build mode to modify my laborer but thats it. As it is, even ignoring the bugs, building a full ship with it would be awful.

It kind of makes sense for stations, mostly cause i think people will want to express their individuality with ship building instead. Capital ships especially will need a full SSC. Mostly because Capital ships will be an extension of the personal and clan efforts. They will want them to be as unique as possible. Module based building has massive limitations in what you can build. This is because you are limited by the puzzle pieces you are given. They can only go together so many ways and still end up with a structurally sound finished product.

EBM shouldn't be a priority, most people don't like it at all. The players right now are the ones that spend hours on the SSC, the casual players will come after the 1.0 official release.

Well only FB can determine EBMs true acceptance rate. Hopefully they can isolate usage statistics on ebm vs ssc. While ignoring the artificial inflation caused by station being ebm only atm.

I don't see or hear anyone asking for easy build improvements or adding new modules.
In 2 companies i had been in anyone who is building just builds in ship designer and don;t even care about easy build.
JUST REMOVE IT AND MAKE BUILDING EASIER!!!

GET RID OF BOLTS, BEAM LENGTHS, CABLE LIMITS.........ALL THAT BS doesn't help, it has 0 game impact whilst maknig it incredibly hard tyo buildl!!!

Its like they added 'EASY BUG MODE' in a attempt to fix the building instead of JUST making building easier!!

Crazy!

Keep auto bolt.
Remove bolt limits.
Remove cables and pipe make ducting dragable.
Remove cable and pipe limits.
Make beams dragable.
Make everything that comes in parts that isn't useful come in a single item please!!!!!! Why do i need 3 parts for a prop tank that has to be in 3 parts anyway.....Simplfy building

Now any idiot can build ships!

Who care if they build a spagehtti ship with 1 thrusters and 90000000 bolts......ITS DOESNT matter....The bigger ships get the more a player risks loosing it to pirates.

The easier a ship is to build the more pirates, the more players!!!

Last edited:
JUST REMOVE IT AND MAKE BUILDING EASIER!!!

GET RID OF BOLTS, BEAM LENGTHS, CABLE LIMITS.........ALL THAT BS doesn't help, it has 0 game impact whilst maknig it incredibly hard tyo buildl!!!

Its like they added 'EASY BUG MODE' in a attempt to fix the building instead of JUST making building easier!!

Crazy!

Keep auto bolt.
Remove bolt limits.
Remove cables and pipe make ducting dragable.
Remove cable and pipe limits.
Make beams dragable.
Make everything that comes in parts that isn't useful come in a single item please!!!!!! Why do i need 3 parts for a prop tank that has to be in 3 parts anyway.....Simplfy building

Now any idiot can build ships!

Who care if they build a spagehtti ship with 1 thrusters and 90000000 bolts......ITS DOESNT matter....The bigger ships get the more a player risks loosing it to pirates.

The easier a ship is to build the more pirates, the more players!!!
The builder is fine as it is. use the modules if you want your items to become a single piece. The more modularity to more flexible the design. I am fine with the propellant being a three piece module. It does not affect the design. Limit to the bolts and cables is an engine thing I believe, it is not as easy as it seems to remove the limit.

Moreover, I disagree with the whole "The easier a ship is to build, the more priates" thing. You can pretty much purchase any ship you want on the ship shop, they are very easy to come by given you have the credits. The recent drop in player count has nothing to do with that.

As a ship designer myself, both the EBH and its product just seems inferior to what I can do in the SSC. I think most of the people who actually design ships see EBH as Labour Upgrade Hall instead of a serious designer

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
EBM is absolute *insert words*. The modules are pretty bad, and in general it is just underdeveloped (not surprising since its EA).