A cargo frame theory

Has anyone tested in game, if you can build a cargo lock frame onto a rail system to deploy an exterior cargo lock frame?

In a sense, you have all four corners connected via beams, and wiring. Have a rail system deploy the bottom 4 edges of the cargo frame with the top 4 edges stay flush with the end of the ship its deploying from.

From my explanation may not seem feasible or plausible, but its one of the many theories I've been discussing in the Starbase official discord.

I don't think it would work, unless it was small. If you watch the video below, he has a lot of issues with his cargo lock frame lock frame. His problem appears to seam from the fact that he has few structural connection for it. How big were you thinking?

five

Master endo
I understand what VonKronk says but the concept your talking about could be possible. The problem what be: How much weight can rails pull. If there's no limit to it you could build it as big as you could build the cargo frame. What I would suggest is that you could do the same but with cargo beams instead. With this you could essentially do the same but you would be restricted to only carrying single larger objects. But thanks to you I know have an idea on how to build a carrier or implement a fighter deploy mechanism into an cargo ship

CalenLoki

Master endo
Rails ATM can hardly support their own weight on slowly moving ship. So until that changes - just forget about them (on moving ships).
Sliders are more reliable, but limited in reach (around 1m).

But if you want to use that lock frame for holding any meaningful mass, it need to have very robust connection to the main ship frame along the entire length of it's edges. And that's impossible to have on a sub-construct (slider/turntable/hinge), as beams placed there won't count as ship frame.