A free station

Morrgard

Master endo
It would work with multi-faction co-operation, otherwise I don't know how you'd pull it off.
That sounds promising, but that isn't much of a freeport anymore unless enough factions would come together to form one singular one, otherwise more would eventually branch out for their own ambitions.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
That sounds promising, but that isn't much of a freeport anymore unless enough factions would come together to form one singular one, otherwise more would eventually branch out for their own ambitions.
Considering the current political climate of Starbase, ideologies are conflicting quite often. I'm sure as time goes on we'll see a change, and hopefully projects like that could work.

Morrgard

Master endo
I'll keep trying Mr.Bear.. Until there is no longer life in me.. I'll never cease until I cease. It's a waking aking hunger to do, to manage, to be one with the station...

*looks into nothingness*

I am ready, send me to space so I can finally create a free station, free of loyalty, faction and preference. A place where all is equal..

I would love to do that..

I really enjoy this idea, hopefully it will come together as a neutral freeport for any players who needs a place to pitstop :) It's ambitious for sure!

I wish you good luck !

Morrgard

Master endo
Considering the current political climate of Starbase, ideologies are conflicting quite often. I'm sure as time goes on we'll see a change, and hopefully projects like that could work.
I believe this is why it would not go too well, there's already been
Civil War
I heard between a few factions, and people are tearing at each other's factions and ideologies of those factions. This is why I find it hard to believe that there will be enough players that will band together to collectively protect a freeport.

I may be wrong of course, people have a way of surprising you :)

Commissar Awesome

Learned-to-sprint endo
What you need to do is create a big neutral faction purposed toward defending said freeport and also offer fuel in a resource rich area with no other stations built. You will need to have a faction dedicated to its defense or some other faction will contest the safezone and take it for themselves.

At that point why not just build up a faction of your own and claim neutrality and open a space port up to the rest of the world.

Atreties

Veteran endo
Ever since I heard about this game I wanted to make a sort of "free" station, that had like a sort of neutral approach and inception in its core. People could sell and buy whatever they wanted, or meet up for missions or quests there.

Would it be possible to do that relatively safely?
Is it possible? Sure. Is it realistic? Not at all.

The way that someone would realistically achieve this would be with overwhelming force.

This would serve as a massive beacon for anyone that wants a fight, so you'd need an incredibly strong and experienced fleet to defend and enforce things.

Even then, you'd have trouble without some game mechanics assisting in the incentives department. You'd need it to be "worth it". You'll be expending tons of man hours and resources to fight attackers and to enforce rules, so you'd want there to be some sort of influx of resources as a result of you doing this, otherwise you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to other groups that don't have that drain.

It's possible that you could provide services like ability to offline ships and use station facilities for a price, and that could fund things, but then they'd need significant incentive to go to you to buy the services instead of making their own station or making the trek back to the safe zone.

Wicca

Well-known endo
Is it possible? Sure. Is it realistic? Not at all.

The way that someone would realistically achieve this would be with overwhelming force.

This would serve as a massive beacon for anyone that wants a fight, so you'd need an incredibly strong and experienced fleet to defend and enforce things.

Even then, you'd have trouble without some game mechanics assisting in the incentives department. You'd need it to be "worth it". You'll be expending tons of man hours and resources to fight attackers and to enforce rules, so you'd want there to be some sort of influx of resources as a result of you doing this, otherwise you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to other groups that don't have that drain.

It's possible that you could provide services like ability to offline ships and use station facilities for a price, and that could fund things, but then they'd need significant incentive to go to you to buy the services instead of making their own station or making the trek back to the safe zone.
So be it Atreties, if a large force is required then a large force will be procured.

Morrgard

Master endo
Making a station in Starbase is perfectly possible and realistic, you most likely just want/need to make a treaty with someone to help protect you.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
A freeport would be possible if you had the muscle to defend it -- there were a couple famous freeports in nullsec (sovereign player space) in EVE for awhile, but mostly because the owner was very popular, and had the backing of a bunch of large alliances that would protect his station.

If you could pull off the same, it might work!

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
SOON INC will be providing "free" station to all its citizens. also Police and Militia groups are already formed.