Anyone thought about having moving / hidden turrets on their gunships to get past weapons checks at stations?

Kenetor

Master endo
Would definitely be interesting to try and hide weapons such as putting blast covers and blast doors over missile tubes while they reload to prevent battle damage, or if we ever get spinal railguns I'd imagine hiding those during reload would be optimal.
Looks like there is gonna be alot of Q ships rolling around!

Morrgard

Master endo
They could be super useful during travel too, just in case you fly through a ship graveyard or a small collection of shattered asteroids and don't feel like having bits of rocks in your weapons systems.
haha yes absolutely!

Hopefully you don't fly into some rocks in the first place though :unsure:
Still, it would be a nice take on ships to have such moveable parts. Adds more life to them

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
haha yes absolutely!

Hopefully you don't fly into some rocks in the first place though :unsure:
Still, it would be a nice take on ships to have such moveable parts. Adds more life to them
When you are trying to travel at relatively fast speeds in a heavy warship, changing directions last minute may be a tad hard.

Morrgard

Master endo
When you are trying to travel at relatively fast speeds in a heavy warship, changing directions last minute may be a tad hard.
Yea, that would most likely be the case. That's where having armor and hatches comes into play as you have mentioned if anything it would be a good thing to make sure that nobody gets in. I mean in the case of you having to have a smaller gap on your design for whatever purpose

DrunkRussianBear

Yea, that would most likely be the case. That's where having armor and hatches comes into play as you have mentioned if anything it would be a good thing to make sure that nobody gets in. I mean in the case of you having to have a smaller gap on your design for whatever purpose
You could also probably retract communications arrays and any external fire-control systems you may have in those scenarios.

Morrgard

Master endo
You could also probably retract communications arrays and any external fire-control systems you may have in those scenarios.
I'm not sure about that, seems going a bit too far. Want to conserve a bit of space on your vessel too. Whilst it may be good and efficient I'm not sure if you want to take so much space for the things that would need to be external like those.

DrunkRussianBear

I'm not sure about that, seems going a bit too far. Want to conserve a bit of space on your vessel too. Whilst it may be good and efficient I'm not sure if you want to take so much space for the things that would need to be external like those.
I mean you don't have to full retract them into the hull, you can easily angle them to be flush with the hull.

Morrgard

Master endo
I mean you don't have to full retract them into the hull, you can easily angle them to be flush with the hull.
Yea that could work too, I'm just saying the benefit of doing such things may not be enough to justify doing it with the amount of resources and space it would take to set up the moving parts on your vessels, especially if they are corvettes or anything smaller

DrunkRussianBear

Yea that could work too, I'm just saying the benefit of doing such things may not be enough to justify doing it with the amount of resources and space it would take to set up the moving parts on your vessels, especially if they are corvettes or anything smaller
it looks cool though

I have a few ideas for the use of hidden or moving turrets on ships. They really need to be purpose-built as they are not viable in most situations. A large ship can perhaps run out of ammo in combat. Lower the turret, reload, then raise it up again. I see this being most useful on missile turrets which I foresee running out of ammo most quickly and having highly volatile ammunition being stored.

Morrgard

Master endo
I have a few ideas for the use of hidden or moving turrets on ships. They really need to be purpose-built as they are not viable in most situations. A large ship can perhaps run out of ammo in combat. Lower the turret, reload, then raise it up again. I see this being most useful on missile turrets which I foresee running out of ammo most quickly and having highly volatile ammunition being stored.
Yea I believe this would be the best method of reloading weaponry, it would be really awkward having to go outside of the ship otherwise.

They could be super useful during travel too, just in case you fly through a ship graveyard or a small collection of shattered asteroids and don't feel like having bits of rocks in your weapons systems.
Very much true. I will try to implement that into my Designs.