Chargeless Capital ship travel

Suggestion good?

• Total voters

mrchip

Well-known endo
Capitals are bound to a charge timer for sieging reasons.
We can separate sieging and travel.
If you want to do a siege - nothing about this suggestion changes things.

If you just want some faster than normal ship travel to get to a better mining spot in a sane amount of time, can't we just tell the capital to fly anyways, instantly or near instantly (1-5 minutes)?
It would travel at a very reduced warp speed, which is still around 2-5x regular ship speed.
This is intended for short range, maybe medium range travel too.

The idea here being, if you want to go do something somewhere, you can actually rely on a capital as a means of travel.

As far as balancing is concerned, there are a lot of ways to patch misuse. First of all, no, uncharged travel can't trigger sieges. Maybe there is even an exclusion zone around anything siegeable.
There could be conditions that "bind" your cap to one spot for a while, so you can't just nope out reactively if any threat appears.
There is probably a cooldown after a warp, and there might be a max distance (or something in its place, like really heavy fuel consumption)
You get the idea.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Instant warp innitiation is planned with a charge level determining the speed, instant being minimum speed. You can also already in the current implentation spool them up preemptively and just leave them spooled a week in advance with no extra cost, so when you do want to leave you can leave at full speed.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Indeed, outside siege capital ships will be able to initiate travel at slower speed (which most likely is around 1 km/s). They can opt also to charging the ship before starting the travel, which will increase the speed significantly. Total time spent should be the same.

Indeed, outside siege capital ships will be able to initiate travel at slower speed (which most likely is around 1 km/s). They can opt also to charging the ship before starting the travel, which will increase the speed significantly. Total time spent should be the same.
Are there plans to allow for offline fast-travel in a capital ship? Personally speaking, I am not willing to keep my Computer running for 12 hours or potentially a whole day or two just for Starbase and nothing in return (you are not paying for my electricity bills after all)!
This game is already very demanding uptime-wise and some relief would be very welcome.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Are there plans to allow for offline fast-travel in a capital ship?
Yes AFAIK, the last statement from FB is charging is done server side not client side, so if you log out, and its charging while you leave for vacation, your friend can click 'travel' and it will bring you with it. it already gives a popup in PTU that it will move you if you log out in its radius.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
I apologise, I sent the wrong message.
Correction:
Question: Is it true that there will be indestructible capital ships? Wouldn't that kill the game and create 1000 moments for abuse......

The game description on the Steam says it's a fully destructible universe, so let it stay that way!
The indestructible capital ships will bring with them plenty of gameplay moments that will only benefit solo players. But this is an online MMO.....

I heard there will be 1 kind of indestructible capital ships

Last edited: