Concept COMET

five

Master endo
One of the projects I had in mind when getting into the game would be a long-range, high-speed transport space craft.
After some time thinking I can to the conclusion that the most efficient way to crate a large space for stuff like cargo, reactors, components, fuel tanks and reserve parts while using the avaibale surface to optimize the amount of thrusters you have would be a cone with thrusters on its side facing the tip of the cone. These thrusters would be staggered in height so they don't damage each other. Since the thrusters would leave a trail behind that looks like a Comet (with the rest of the ship) I named the concept that way. On top of this cone would be something I'd call "the bridge" where maintanance people could watch over the status of thrusters, reactors, fuel tanks and so on. The tip would just be a half ball: A small glas cockpit with places for a few people to sit and a large door that can open to allow for storing of cargo or personell to be transported. Another aplication I thought of would to have a smaller short ranged large capacity cargo transporter which would be bolted to a special frame. This would allow the smaller plane to make a short trip to Station A to get goods and transport it to Station B which would normally be out of range for it.
Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on my idea: Do you think it's possible?, Would you like to see it?, Would that be something you would buy? or generally any questions about the idea itself I'll be happy to answer.

Your curious fella, five

CalenLoki

Master endo
I thought about such idea long time ago. It's good approach both for combat and civilian use.

But after playing a bit, watching videos and reading stories, I came to conclusion that too big frontal surface id not desirable for flying inside asteroid belt. Even with collision avoidance autopilot.

Thus instead of cone-shaped comet, I'd make it cigar shaped, but with angled thrusters covering entire length of the ship.
Thrusters at 15 degrees loose only 3% efficiency - not a big price for achieved reduction in cross section.
1592844796574.png

five

Master endo
I thought about such idea long time ago. It's good approach both for combat and civilian use.

But after playing a bit, watching videos and reading stories, I came to conclusion that too big frontal surface id not desirable for flying inside asteroid belt. Even with collision avoidance autopilot.

Thus instead of cone-shaped comet, I'd make it cigar shaped, but with angled thrusters covering entire length of the ship.
Thrusters at 15 degrees loose only 3% efficiency - not a big price for achieved reduction in cross section.
View attachment 1242
Thx for the input. I understand the problem. Btw are there asteroids everywhere or can you travel through regions and not encounter a single comet? Would love to know that

PS: I like the sentece: "Drawback: you'll shine like fookin comet."

CalenLoki

Master endo
Asteroids are only in the belt. The closer to the middle, the more and bigger.
You fly out of it, and space gets completely empty.

So probably most stations and gameplay will happen in the belt. Maybe except moon-travels and long range transportation. Long enough to justify flying for few hours to exit the belt, then few hours back into it.

five

Master endo
Asteroids are only in the belt. The closer to the middle, the more and bigger.
You fly out of it, and space gets completely empty.

So probably most stations and gameplay will happen in the belt. Maybe except moon-travels and long range transportation. Long enough to justify flying for few hours to exit the belt, then few hours back into it.
wouldn't the Comet be exceptionally well at that task with very high speed, long travelling range. It's biggest flaw (it being absolutely defenseless) wouldn't really matter.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Love the enthusiasm. Maybe you can build try it if you have alpha access. But yeah it would probably be a fun ride
Might be a bit dissapointing when you make it in-game. Although max-speed ships do feel fast, they don't allow you to zoom from station to station in seconds. The only thing that comes close to that experience is the chairdrive exploit, allowing you to travel at ~400 m/s.

five

Master endo
Might be a bit dissapointing when you make it in-game. Although max-speed ships do feel fast, they don't allow you to zoom from station to station in seconds. The only thing that comes close to that experience is the chairdrive exploit, allowing you to travel at ~400 m/s.
I just wanna be faster then others