Delete All Functionality

Hi Team and fellow Endo's.

The delete all functionality is coming... This is great!, but it's actually terrible for the game.

1. From a Pirate / PvP stance, the delete all function is simply giving targets too much power to just open inventory and delete all. This function should not be allowed in a non-safezone area at all, want to delete? goto a station to delete.

2. With a Finite Ore system, this hurts the game in the long run.. deleting ore will cause shortages inevitably.

Hopefully FrozenByte will heed this.

Inventory system is going to be replaced, hopefully this is addressed
Inventory system doesnt mean much until it's implemented. But till the Inventory System 2.0 is implemented, this band-aid should have the limitation of not allowing ore to be deleted en masse from a ship in the PvP zone.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
This function should not be allowed in a non-safezone area at all, want to delete? goto a station to delete.
This would greately reduce usability, because a main purpose is for deleting ore while mining an asteroid, not after having it brought back to a station. If you'd like it limited in some way, please suggest another approach, such as a wait time of 2s per stack, up to 30s. I also doubt the problem you mentioned is that severe, since a self destruct button is already easily constructable (just hit a fuel chamber ...)

With a finite ore system ...
Ores are neither practically finite, nor actually finite after some more features will be implemented (passive ore gen with atmosperic pumps). PvP also removes ores from the game, should PvP be removed? :p

If you'd like it limited in some way, please suggest another approach, such as a wait time of 2s per stack, up to 30s
I would soft-delete the ore so that it simply does not show up in the inventory anymore but technically still exists. When new Ore is collected, it would then replace the "deleted" Ore.

Edit: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/starbase-progress-notes-week-38-2021.2687/#post-20672
A delete all functionality is probably being introduced next patch (y)

Greebo

Well-known endo
Additionally, I don't think there's much of a reason for players to self-delete their inventory against pirates except just for a tiny amount of spite.

You lose any potential to recover your ore, and i dont really think pirates at the moment are too interested in looting your ore crates (at the moment). It's just too much of a pain in the ass.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
I would soft-delete the ore so that it simply does not show up in the inventory anymore but technically still exists. When new Ore is collected, it would then replace the "deleted" Ore.
I really like this suggestion. Would help miners and pvp players alike. And would help against the "accidential" deletion (in case they forgot the confirmation button again :))

CalenLoki

Master endo
This would greately reduce usability, because a main purpose is for deleting ore while mining an asteroid, not after having it brought back to a station.
Proper solution for that would be ore ejector or filters for collector, not deleting.
Hard delete is needed only for stations, where dumping unwanted resources creates mess and lag. And even for that, dedicated incinerator machine seems like the proper solution. Even better if it contributes to the gas clouds - big cities would naturally get polluted with unwanted ore, unless shipped out of the station.

So in general I see the delete function as a band-aid, thus I wouldn't put too much effort into balancing it. Better focus on proper mechanics.